Fresh start after binge weekend

Hi guys,
Here we are again... Monday after a proper binge weekend. Even though I promised myself to be good it all went pearshaped sometime Friday evening. How do you deal with this? How do you come back to a fresh start without a feeling of guilt or shame? And how do you stop going into binges?

Replies

• joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Well it depends on the person. If I end up having a binge when I know I shouldn't be then I will feel guilty. There isn't anything wrong with that. You feel guilty becuase you let yourself down, which makes sense.You need to use that guilt to motivate you onwards. Do you enjoy feeling shame or guilt?No? Then use it to remind you of what you're supposed to be doing. Just keep on grinding away at it. Start eating better again.
    Depending on how well you are able to control yourself you could have a fast day(DISCLAIMER:THIS IS NOT FOR PUNISHMENT, BUT IT IS A USEFUL TECHNIQUE IF YOU'RE OVER YOUR CALORIE LIMIT SIGNIFICANTLY. I DO NOT ENCOURAGE FASTING FOR MORE THAN A DAY OR TWO MAX)

Had to say that, otherwise people will accuse me of encouraging disordered eating. WHICH IM NOT.There is nothing disordered about having a very low calorie day, if it helps you meet your goals.

Idk, it varies from person to person but thats how I view things, and its what has worked for me.

Good Luck!
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    I had a binge weekend, an alcohol fuelled junk food weekend.
    I got back, Weighed myself as usual on the Monday, and got on with it.

I think you need to not focus on what you did but what you are going to do.
    As @joejward95 said "You need to use that guilt to motivate you onwards"
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Use today as an opportunity to get back on track. Also try to think of ways to help control future urges to binge so that doesn't happen again.
  • grangerka
    grangerka Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks guys. I can't unbell the bells I guess. Yes, I'm staying focused today and I'll try to limit my intake to a little below my daily. I went to the gym yesterday and went pretty heavy - I guess extra carbs and sugars helped with that ha! - so I must recover today as well as get rid of the bloated belly! Back to work tomorrow and the way I look today I doubt I'll fit into my suit pants.
  • grangerka
    Have you ever felt your weekend undoes all the hard work you put in over the week? It's a big thing for me. I guess I'm an emotional eater and I feel I relax more when I stuff my face. Sick twist on work hard play hard!
  • sylwiaaam248
    sylwiaaam248 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi guys,
    Im new here. Been trying to loose weight for weeks now. Finally got to proper routine in a week and manage to loose about 2pounds per week, but then it's Friday! So I binge. But not a little bit. When I binge I go over the top.. chocolate chocolate chocolate crisps chocolate. Cant stop myself. So all i lost in a week is back on. What can I do to stop? Apart from being strong? After week with low calories and low carbs diet im desperate for sugar..
    Any tips? Im back on track today and was yesterday but im terrified thinking about coming Friday :/
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i ate more calories for my dinner last night than i usually do in a whole day. it was my 18th wedding anniversary and it was good and sooooooooooo worth it ;)

you have to learn how to enjoy and live life and then the next day get back on the wagon so to speak, with no guilt.
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Monday morning after a potluck on Saturday and a birthday party yesterday. It definitely wasn't a pretty weekend. BUT, like you said, it's Monday and time to start fresh for the week. I've learned that rewarding yourself from time to time (within reason of course) is a necessary part of the journey, if only to maintain sanity.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    I just spent the weekend camping with my family. I tried my best to be active, but I ate more than I should have, it was more important to me to have fun. Now today I will just get right back to it, it's that simple.
  • grangerka
    Hi guys,
    Im new here. Been trying to loose weight for weeks now. Finally got to proper routine in a week and manage to loose about 2pounds per week, but then it's Friday! So I binge. But not a little bit. When I binge I go over the top.. chocolate chocolate chocolate crisps chocolate. Cant stop myself. So all i lost in a week is back on. What can I do to stop? Apart from being strong? After week with low calories and low carbs diet im desperate for sugar..
    Any tips? Im back on track today and was yesterday but im terrified thinking about coming Friday :/

I hear you!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Even minor binges have canceled out my hard work lately. So I am adjusting my strategy and upping my weekend calorie allotment and keeping it lower during the week. But it still averages out to 1700 calories a day. It helped me splurge but still feel compelled to log everything and stick to my daily goal at a festival on Saturday. I'm hoping it works, because I want that extra wine or dessert, or day out having fun on the weekends. I am going to try it for the month and see how it works out. So far so good for the first weekend.
  • grangerka
    kikichewie wrote: »
    Even minor binges have canceled out my hard work lately. So I am adjusting my strategy and upping my weekend calorie allotment and keeping it lower during the week. But it still averages out to 1700 calories a day. It helped me splurge but still feel compelled to log everything and stick to my daily goal at a festival on Saturday. I'm hoping it works, because I want that extra wine or dessert, or day out having fun on the weekends. I am going to try it for the month and see how it works out. So far so good for the first weekend.

Seems like a good idea! Apparently fluctuating your kcals helps in boosting metabolism too - your body gets used to the same number of cals.

I did something similar before my wedding - together with some heavy lifting it really worked. I wish I had the same motivation now ;)
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    A month of hard work in the gym and feeling like I'm eating at a deficit (which obviously I wasn't, averaged over time) with NOTHING to show for it on the scale is all the motivation I need right now! Lol.....
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I had a tough time this weekend, too -- lots of drinks, going out to eat, etc. I weighed myself this morning; I hadn't gained but I hadn't lost as I usually do. I'm just going to move on and make better choices today.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I wouldn't try to make up for it. That is the whole point of eating at a deficit. We are making up for all kinds of binges and overeating from years gone by. This latest binge will just cause you to take longer to lose weight. Instead, I would try to figure out what led to the binge and look for a way to avoid it in the future. If you have a drinking problem like Joshua Powell mentioned, the thing to do might be to stay away from alcohol, so your altered state of mind doesn't convince you to do something you don't want to do. Personally, I have a weakness for pastries. I'll buy a package of four at Target and eat all four in a short period of time, so rather than do that, I'll buy one out of the single serve box.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    grangerka wrote: »

Seems like a good idea! Apparently fluctuating your kcals helps in boosting metabolism too - your body gets used to the same number of cals.

I did something similar before my wedding - together with some heavy lifting it really worked. I wish I had the same motivation now ;)

Ummm ... no. It doesn't boost metabolism.

For your weekend splurge ... log it as accurately as possible. Put it in perspective. If you ate 1000 calories over your MFP daily goal for two days but ate at/near your goal for the other five days in the week, that is still a weekly deficit if you're set at a one pound per week loss.

Move forward.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    grangerka wrote: »

Ummm ... no. It doesn't boost metabolism.

For your weekend splurge ... log it as accurately as possible. Put it in perspective. If you ate 1000 calories over your MFP daily goal for two days but ate at/near your goal for the other five days in the week, that is still a weekly deficit if you're set at a one pound per week loss.

Move forward.

Good point.

I'm not sure why people get hung up on this "boost metabolism" idea. There is no harm in having the same number of calories all the time. Our bodies are just looking for fuel for the activities we're doing. If it is in the gut, great. If not, it'll go pull it from somewhere else.