Cereal bars

Options
limico91
limico91 Posts: 68 Member
Hi all,
I apologise if this has been asked a million times before but I did do a search and the posts did not give me the information I'm after.
I'm looking for a cereal bar whether that's shop bought or home made that doesn't have a tonne of sugar or too high in calories. I've been getting the nakd bars and I know they are made of fruit but they have around 15g of sugar.
So any suggestions of shop bought or recipes with low sugar and around 150 calories would be great. I have seen a fair few granola bars but already make my own granola which I'm happy with.
TIA

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    we do nutragrain strawberry bars around here for a quick breakfast, they have 120 calories and 11g of sugar.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    search under recipes too. I have seen some breakfast recipes out there on MFP
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    also, not necessarily a "bar", but my son really likes peanut butter crackers for an on-the-go breakfast. The "austin" and "lance" brands are 190 calories, with 4 g of protien, and 4g of sugar.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars. All the flavors I've tried have been great. They are high fiber, high protein, low carb and low sugar. Chocolate chip cookie dough is my fave. They are also great to cut into pieces and bake into quest cookies. Satisfies my sweet tooth without killing my calories/sugar/fat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    also, not necessarily a "bar", but my son really likes peanut butter crackers for an on-the-go breakfast. The "austin" and "lance" brands are 190 calories, with 4 g of protien, and 4g of sugar.

I had those for breakfast today! :D
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options

I had those for breakfast today! :D

Glad to see we arent the only snack cracker fans out there ;)
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Most cereal bars Ive seen have brutal amounts of sugar in them along with an ingredients list thats like a small novel - meaning way too much "stuff" in them. They *appear* healthy and the makers of the bars tout them as such but when you check the "numbers" they come out ugly. Caveat Emptor with those things.

Sucks too because they'd make great quick snacks or whatever. Oh well. I havent found any yet that would work for me. :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I got a care package of various granola and energy bars and such after a race I ran a few weeks ago, and I just tried one called Larabar Uber Roasted Nut Roll. It's 130 calories, 4 grams sugar--mostly nuts, also dates, honey, and brown rice syrup. I quite liked it, although I probably won't buy them because it's just as easy for me to pack nuts and dried fruit for similar macros.

Wonder if that would be along the lines of what you are looking for.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

These ^^^^ and Fiber One bars have become a staple for me.

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have Belvita breakfast biscuits. 220 calories a pack with 10g of sugar. 7.2g of fat. Hmmmm.... Maybe I should cut these out! :neutral:
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    owensy12 wrote: »
    I have Belvita breakfast biscuits. 220 calories a pack with 10g of sugar. 7.2g of fat. Hmmmm.... Maybe I should cut these out! :neutral:

I tried these a few weeks ago when I unexpectedly stayed over at a friends and didn't have breakfast, and was STARVING within about half an hour... so much for their four hour slow release claims...!
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try Kashi bars. I buy 2 flavors, peanut butter and chocolate almond.

140 calories each and 7 grams of protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    don't worry about sugar and focus on the calorie count of said bars. Unless, you have some kind of medical condition that would warrant limiting sugar.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Special K cereal bars - red berry ones are 89 cals and 8.1 g sugar, 1.2 g fat
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I like Alpen Light bars & they have lots of flavours & not too high in calories and sugar
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I like kind bars and kashi bars
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I buy these at Costco - 35 bars for $11-$12, sometimes less if they're on sale.

140 calories and 7 grams of sugar. Tastes awesome.

Kashi Chocolate Almond and Sea Salt
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating bars, all of which are highly processed, why not just eat real food? Cheaper, and there are tons of foods you can grab on the go.
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Jordan's cereal bars, if you can get them. The raisin and hazelnut and the blueberry ones have 9 g of sugar per bar, and are 210 kcal. They are my go to sports snack.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The thing about the nakd bars (depending on which one you have) some are 100% natural ingredients. Eg the cashew cookie is 51% cashew and 49% dates. Yes it has a lot of sugar but it's not refined sugar it is fruit sugar. Plus I can almost convince myself it's chocolate