what is going on!!! please help

Options
I have been eating the same way. counting and weighing everything. I have been at 247 for over a week now. The only thing different was that i started working out in the am instead of after work. Could that change stop weight loss? One more question this might sound silly but how can working out in the AM burn calories the rest of the day? I am a bit confused. I like doing it in the am because its over and i can start my day and then play with kids after work. however i am concidered that its not burning some of what i ate for lunch and dinner. Thanks everyone!!! I am 5'5" 247 current starting weight was 291.

Replies

• MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know that as your weight lowers you'll need less calories. You made a decent weightloss already. If you change your goals in MFP it should lower your needed calories for you.

Are you logging absolutely everything? Condiments, measuring tablespoons of coffee creamer, etc, etc. Yes you seem crazy but it works. If yes, you've been doing all that, then scale back another 150 or 200 calories and wait ten days to see if you start to lose again.

Don't give up, congrats on the good work so far!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's been a week, relax

Weight loss isn't linear

It's very normal for fits and starts and stalls

Just keep going

Scale weight is affected by sodium, change-up in diet and hormones around ovulation and period

Exercise is just exercise ...timing should work for your life there is no additional benefit on when you do it ..
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    This is my trendweight chart for 3 months ...the black dots are scale weight readings see how they go up and down but the overall trend is downwards ...that's just what happens ...to everyone really

ua6xwaa4ydu0.jpg
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ok great. I am already only eating 1200 cal so i cant cut anything else. I am going to push the water and try to cut out some of the sodium and see if that changes anything.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Where is it written that we will all lose weight every week?

I tend to lose in tiny increments (.2, .3) for a few weeks. Or I maintain or even see a small gain in that time period. Then I'll lose a larger amount (2-3 lbs) all at once.

Weight loss is most definitely not linear. Don't look at any individual week to judge your progress. Look at your average weight loss over time.
  • Sued0nim
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ok great. I am already only eating 1200 cal so i cant cut anything else. I am going to push the water and try to cut out some of the sodium and see if that changes anything.

What? You don't need to do anything just keep going

And at 247lbs you should be able to eat far more than 1200

Weight loss isn't linear

If you lose no weight over 6-8 weeks you reassess
  • Supermom883
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What? You don't need to do anything just keep going

And at 247lbs you should be able to eat far more than 1200

Weight loss isn't linear

If you lose no weight over 6-8 weeks you reassess

ok great I will keep going :) I will see what happens and I will not give up. Thank you for being such a big help.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you sleeping less because you're getting up early to train? Are you training with less intensity because you haven't eaten as much to fuel your workout?

If you've been restricting calories for a while, your bmr will be lower and you could need less calories. Sadly. :(
  • Supermom883
    Options
    Are you sleeping less because you're getting up early to train? Are you training with less intensity because you haven't eaten as much to fuel your workout?

If you've been restricting calories for a while, your bmr will be lower and you could need less calories. Sadly. :(

yea i am sleeping less maybe an hour less a night. I am doing the pre set work outs on my treadmill. I enter my weight and the amount of time which is an hour n the amount of calories i want to burn which is 600 and it makes a workout for me and i do it. I only log 300 calories burn on here because some say that those machines say you burn to much. I work out then i eat a protein bar and shower and go to work. idk if i can cut any lower 1200 is the lowest my doctor wants me to go.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

yea i am sleeping less maybe an hour less a night. I am doing the pre set work outs on my treadmill. I enter my weight and the amount of time which is an hour n the amount of calories i want to burn which is 600 and it makes a workout for me and i do it. I only log 300 calories burn on here because some say that those machines say you burn to much. I work out then i eat a protein bar and shower and go to work. idk if i can cut any lower 1200 is the lowest my doctor wants me to go.

Sleep has a big effect on weight loss..... Can you go to bed earlier to compensate?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't think you quite understand the concept of burning calories. When we workout, we use calories that our bodies have stored, some in our gut and some from glycogen. During the rest of the day, we replenish theses stores. If we don't eat enough to fully restore them, our bodies pull energy from fat and other places to restore them, in preparation for when we need them. The timing of when we workout isn't that important. The food you eat today may still be in your system two days from now.
  • Supermom883
    Options
    I don't think you quite understand the concept of burning calories. When we workout, we use calories that our bodies have stored, some in our gut and some from glycogen. During the rest of the day, we replenish theses stores. If we don't eat enough to fully restore them, our bodies pull energy from fat and other places to restore them, in preparation for when we need them. The timing of when we workout isn't that important. The food you eat today may still be in your system two days from now.

oh ok great. Thank you so much thats what i needed explained. makes alot more sense now. and I am going to try to go to bed a bit earlier even if i have to miss my shows lol dvr them
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you are eating or sleeping enough. You should be eating between 1600-1800 calories a day if you are exercising daily. Your body is most likely in starvation mode. Try to up the calories with good fats like lean protein, avocados, etc. Eat a little more during the day for a couple of weeks and get a couple of more hours of shut eye and then reevaluate your progress. If you want others to truly evaluate, then consider opening up your diary. There might be some great feedback. Good luck.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    hyperbeth1 wrote: »
    I don't think that you are eating or sleeping enough. You should be eating between 1600-1800 calories a day if you are exercising daily. Your body is most likely in starvation mode. Try to up the calories with good fats like lean protein, avocados, etc. Eat a little more during the day for a couple of weeks and get a couple of more hours of shut eye and then reevaluate your progress. If you want others to truly evaluate, then consider opening up your diary. There might be some great feedback. Good luck.

No.

Ignore everyone else, just listen to rabbitjb. One week is nothing. No need to start panicking just yet.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    hyperbeth1 wrote: »

No.

Ignore everyone else, just listen to rabbitjb. One week is nothing. No need to start panicking just yet.

Agreed. One week is nothing. Just keep going! :smile:
  • Supermom883
    Options
    i will do that thanks everyone.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As everyone else already said, one week isn't enough time. I have weeks where I jump up by 5+lbs temporarily. If it bothers you, consider weighing monthly maybe?

I'm a 5'5/31yr female that started at 275lbs 18months ago. I'm now at 173lbs and struggling (hungry!) to stay under my 1300+300 (thats 1/2 my exercise calories). So, I do want to caution you about doing 1200 right off the hop. The smaller you get the lower you have to drop your calories to continue loosing. I know you mentioned your doctor, so obviously he has ok'd the 1200 calories. But if your goal is a big one (100+lbs) at some point you'll run into the same problem I'm having. (I forgot to mention I went too low on the cals off the hop)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself everyday or once a week? If it's once a week, it could just be normal weight fluctuation, and you can try again tomorrow or in a few days. If this week seems to "stick" then take a closer look at what you ate this past week. Exercising in the morning vs night shouldn't have any effect (unless maybe you're too tired in the am and just not pushing yourself hard enough to really burn those calories? I guess anything is possible).

I had a week last month where the scale showed a 3 lb gain. I was furious. But looking back, I saw that the previous day I went to a party, and although I stayed within my calorie limit, I did have more alcohol, sodium, and sugar than I normally would, which can all result in bloating. I stuck with it, and a week later the scale dropped back down to where it should have been at that point (and I continued to lose since then).
  • Supermom883
    Options
    As everyone else already said, one week isn't enough time. I have weeks where I jump up by 5+lbs temporarily. If it bothers you, consider weighing monthly maybe?

I'm a 5'5/31yr female that started at 275lbs 18months ago. I'm now at 173lbs and struggling (hungry!) to stay under my 1300+300 (thats 1/2 my exercise calories). So, I do want to caution you about doing 1200 right off the hop. The smaller you get the lower you have to drop your calories to continue loosing. I know you mentioned your doctor, so obviously he has ok'd the 1200 calories. But if your goal is a big one (100+lbs) at some point you'll run into the same problem I'm having. (I forgot to mention I went too low on the cals off the hop)

this is what i am worried about. i am going to talk to my doc again when i go back in june
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think doctors must just be taught to tell people not to go below 1200 and not much else about nutrition. You'd probably be better off just going by the calories mfp tells you. (Provided your using a scale to accurately measure your food and liquids) If the nutrition aspect interests you, seek out a nutritionist. Feel free to send a friend request :smile: