why is swimming so out of favour right now?

Options

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I can run outside anywhere. I have a weight bench and barbell in a spare bedroom. The only pool I can fit in my yard is an 8 foot wading pool. ;)

I'm not opposed to swimming. It's just not practical for me. I don't like going TO a gym, and the ones with pools aren't in my budget even if I did.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I think there are many reasons why many don't think of swimming as an exercise, Vanity is one, people don't like how they look in a swim suit--have you seen what some look like in yoga pants! The showering in public, the hassle with drying hair, putting on make up, etc. I don't think going to the gym before work and getting all sweaty and smelly is too desirable either! The biggest drawback it times a pool is open for workout swimming or classes are not necessarily the most convenient. I loved the water aerobics classes the YMCA had here but there were weeks throughout the year when there was no class. Here there are classes at the Y, the Municipal pool, and the local community college but there were still times when all three were closed. Add to that the fact that paying for classes at three different locations can get a bit pricey it's not the most accessible. Although, around here gym memberships are not that cheap either and I really hate the fact that most do not have dressing rooms and showers. Nothing like getting a sweat on then having to drive home! Public showers are the least of my worries!

I go to the Y and we have dressing rooms and private showers... I wonder if it has to do more with area and how big the Y is. Small town ones with far less members wouldn't be able to support that type as it's not a private gym but paid for by donations. I pay $25 a month for all classes, pool time, etc. I sometimes go to workout in classes at the pool at 5am and I think the last class begins at 8pm. It really does probably have everything to do with how many clients and areas.

Who cares what one looks like in a swimsuit or Yoga pants. I never pay attention, I meet ppl and workout with them and see them every morning one place or another. If everyone that loves to swim or take aqua classes was worried about what they looked like in a suit there would be no gyms. I'm not small and I've never had anyone stare at me.

I hope some of you aren't staying away from lap lanes because you worry about what others will think! That would be sad.... I admire anyone that spends time at the gym... I know they are serious, hardworking and in it for fitness.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love swimming. I wish my gym membership included access to a pool. Sadly, I have to pay separately to swim so for that reason I do it maximum once a week. I don't find it any more hassle than other exercise since I will have to take a shower after a workout anyway.
  • TheLittleFuff
    TheLittleFuff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think swimming is a great way to relax and lose calories but it is not for everyone. I almost never swim in a swimming pool due to the high chlorine in the water (I get ugly rashes from it). My skin is sensitive to it. However, come summer, I swim in lakes nearby (and there are tons nearby where I live in Canada).

Furthermore, I feel it is a turn off for people with long or dyed hair. Not to mention the cost in some places!

Cheers! :blush:
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i hope it never does end up trending, i like being alone in the lap pool with the occasional single stranger to silently compete with.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I swim once or twice a week, the time to shower and get ready isn't really an issue for me, I would have to do that after any exercise I do (I sweat a lot, so far the only exercise I don't sweat while doing is Bar Method). I was lucky and found a pool that has 6 lanes dedicated to lap swimming every morning if I go before work and 6 lanes for it several evenings.

When my body is a little sore from the heavy lifting and HIIT workouts I do during the week, swimming is my go to. I get anywhere from 2000-2500 yards done in an hour. I think that is a decent workout.

The pool is more crowded now, it always is at this time of year....it is triathlon training time.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i hope it never does end up trending, i like being alone in the lap pool with the occasional single stranger to silently compete with.

;) I know right? That's always such an awesome time of day when that happens.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    if the community pool is the only pool access you have, then it is a huge hassle. Having lived in a community with pools, it was extremely hard to a time to go the pool that wasn't already populated with little kids or it was closed or it was cold and/or dark. Otherwise, if I had my own pool with no one else around to use it, I'd love swimming!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would rather not swim in public pools... ick. :sick:
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to do a sport that requires me to shave my legs more frequently than my current once-a-week-on-date-night regime.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Where do you get your swim caps? I have a tiny head, but still struggle to get regular latex/rubber ones over my head and it feels like my hair is being torn out when I go to take them off.
    [/quote]

I buy my swim caps online or at a sporting goods store.
    If you have a difficult time putting the cap on, you can try wetting it before putting it on.
    Another thing to try is to put a little bit of baby powder inside and spread it around before putting it on.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I love swimming in the summer when our local pool 5 blocks away is dead (it's a small town) and I can lap swim. But otherwise, yes it would be a hassle, not to mention no indoor pool for 30 miles. Not the same as being able to walk right out your door in whatever you're wearing and walk for 30 min.. I do love the joint benefits, but since swimming just isn't practical for me on a regular basis, I use the stationary bike when I need a break from weight-bearing exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to do a sport that requires me to shave my legs more frequently than my current once-a-week-on-date-night regime.

:D
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    nik_nak_83 wrote: »
    Just curious...
    In my quest to.become fitter I have found a renewed love of swimming, splashing about for fun, dedicated lane swimming and specific swimfit classes. I have tried to encourage friends who are also trying to get.fit to come with me but each time I ask I am.met with scrunched up noses and comments like 'i don't like getting wet', or 'its such a hassle'.

Just wondering if this is a general trend or if there are people out that that still love a swim?

I am not sure

I learned how to swim as a boy in a neighborhood pond, nearly drowning my older brother in a panic filled early lesson. From there to a summer club and Y for summer and winter swim teams and four years on high school team. I didn't pursue swimming beyond high school because I lacked 2 critical elements, talent and speed. Into adulthood, swimming fell out of favor for a variety of excuses; availability, access and cost among others. Other forms of fitness also fell because of my perceived lack of ability. So in time that along with eating poorly and smoking took it's toll on my health. It was not until my mid to late 50's that messages started getting through, starting with medicines I am now on. 5 years ago I finally found away to stop smoking. Then I found my way back to the pool abd even then it was in fits and starts until I retired in April '15 when all excuses for not having time evaporated! I swear by the pool now. Twice, 3 times a week c I am there. I don't just swim. I alternately water walk 75 Yards (3 laps) and swim 75 with sets of leg exercises in between, mainly as a way to get some air. My goal among the others is comfortable walking which the last few years my weight and health have hindered.
    Based on recent past, if you want to get me into a pool to splash around and have fun make it a pool in Vegas or Myrtle Beach, or as I am thinking of joining, the pool at my apartment complex. At an indoor pool, it's all business
    Based on numbers of families I see at the Y and numbers I f younger on c swim teans, not sure it's falling out favor.
    Sorry for taking so long to make point.

I forgot to mention one point about pool applicable for me. I am quite near-sighted. I have some hearing loss, enough to require hearing aids. So when I go to the pool, I have to take out the aids, put in protective plugs, take off my glasses in favor of the swim goggles. When that is done I am virtually deaf and blind; in my own world and totally focused on what I am doing

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Prepping to do it, getting wet, having to expose their bodies in swim suits, wet hair, getting ready time after, locker room horrors, etc.
    Like any other exercise endeavor, there are pros and cons. People are just personally picking what they want to do for exercise and for many swimming isn't it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • babetoto
    babetoto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel so fortunate that I live within 2 miles of our YMCA which has a pool that opens at 530 AM and is pretty much open all day and evening for lap swimming (at least one or two lanes for certain hours). I love to swim from being on a swim team in my youth, so I go about 2 times per week to add crosstraining to my week. No one goes to swim laps to look good at our pool and I include men and women with that comment. (Googles, swim cap, not very attractive suits). I go for the great feeling I have when I am done with 35 minutes of laps. I have a gym bag always made up and ready to go which enables me to get in and out of the showers and dressing room very efficiently. Also might add that because I am 65 with colortreated hair, my hairdresser suggested wetting my hair and putting on a conditioner, then putting my swim cap on. That has worked great to keep hair from fading or drying out.
    I have encouraged a friend of mine to join me and her issue with not going is wrecking her hair and not wanting to wear a swim suit in public. :s
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a real fan of swimming. I think part of the blame can be put on the culture of health and safety, and all the misconceptions about the transfer of bugs in water. Add that to the lack of family friendly / frequency of cost prohibitive pools and you can start to see why it has been in decline. Here it's a lot easier with the sea just 5 minutes drive away
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Will these people who say no to swimming, say yes to a run? Maybe they aren't as active, or can't swim. Or maybe they don't like their body in swimsuits.
  • Misterfish96
    Misterfish96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming a 1/2 mile every morning at the YMCA. My knees and back have never felt better. Also, I've dropped 45 pounds in 6 months. I feel good about that too.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love a swim but I find public pools to be disgusting most of the time. I swim in the ocean on vacation and will make swimming a part of my workouts routine as soon as I own a private pool. (Meaning not in 2015)