Frequent Cramps

Options
Hi! For the past couple of weeks, I have had a personal trainer 2 days a week. Every session with him I always end up cramping in my quads, my tri's or my stomach.. bad! He told me to drink more fluids, but I already drink a little over a gallon of water a day. He also recommended drinking pickle juice. Any advice for preventing frequent muscle cramps?

Thank you in advance!
Chelle

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Low potassium can cause muscle cramps. Also some medications can make them worse. I have asthma, and one of my inhalers was causing me to have nasty muscle cramps. I had my doctor switch it and that solved the problem.
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How is your potassium intake? Sometimes low potassium can cause cramping.
  • Idefinenichelle
    Idefinenichelle Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I eat a banana for breakfast everyday, but maybe it is not enough lol. Maybe I should eat more foods that are higher in potassium. Currently, I am not on any medications.
  • racheljacobsen
    racheljacobsen Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My hip flexors cramp up if I don't stretch them out really well before doing certain exercises. Trying doing some extra stretching before your sessions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    you're probably electrolyte deficient...water is great, but when you drink a lot of water you're also pissing out potassium and sodium among other things...this is why people drink sports drinks like gatorade and the like. I personally think there are better options, but that's why people drink those.

Also, bananas are a decent source of potassium, but not as great as advertised really. I drink a low sodium V8 daily, eat a lot of potatoes, and drink coconut water. I also eat pickles and drink the brine after a particularly sweaty workout or a long ride or something to replenish sodium.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for potassium. Potatoes are better.
  • Idefinenichelle
    Idefinenichelle Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help! And Cwolfman.. yes water runs right through me! I will make sure to pick up some gatorade today. Thanks again everyone!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help! And Cwolfman.. yes water runs right through me! I will make sure to pick up some gatorade today. Thanks again everyone!

I only used Gatorade as an example...there are better options in my opinion.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had been having severe foot cramps. My doctor told me to take 500mg of magnesium. if that didn't help to take 2. It's made all the difference in the world.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I had been having severe foot cramps. My doctor told me to take 500mg of magnesium. if that didn't help to take 2. It's made all the difference in the world.

good point...I also pop Tums for this very reason when I'm on a long ride.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'm curious what other options you would recommned. I've been dealing with this issue too.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Water, potassium, and use a roller.
  • ashleeadodd
    ashleeadodd Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Same thing was happening to me! Magnesium fixed me right up.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I'm curious what other options you would recommned. I've been dealing with this issue too.

My "sport drink" is coconut water. When I ride I have one bottle of regular water and one bottle of coconut water. I also usually have some coconut water after a lifting session in the gym. It's basically natures "Gatorade".

If I need more sodium, I eat a pickle after my ride or workout. Tomato products like sauces and V8 are also chalk full of electrolytes that your body needs; pasta with a nice marinara sauce is an excellent recovery meal. Eat plenty of veg and some fruit as well. Potatoes kick *kitten* in the potassium department.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

good point...I also pop Tums for this very reason when I'm on a long ride.

Whoops...actually I pop the Tums for calcium carbonate...but basically the same premise...it helps with cramping.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Water, potassium, and magnesium. Make sure you're not overdoing it on water because you can flush the electrolytes out (sodium and potassium) and sometimes have worse cramps. I second or third on the stretches, too. That has made a major difference to me - some sort of cardio to warm up the muscles beforehand and stretching when finished with your workout.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    potassium can be low
    And i have it when i dont drink enough water