Green tea?

Options
Does green tea really have huge benefits? Has anyone personally noticed benefits from it?

Replies

• sammc1982
    sammc1982 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can't really answer as only been drinking it for a week. So would be interested in what others think
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It has some health benefits and is a powerful antioxidant...but it isn't some magic fat burner which seems to be the current mythology.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are referring to weight loss and metabolism, the answer is no.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I LOVE drinking green tea, but other than it keeping me warm, I haven't seen any benefits from it. :drinker:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Huge benefits? No.

I like green tea (well, all tea actually). The benefits that I personally notice....Because hot tea takes awhile to drink and it comes in many flavors I can use it as an afternoon pick-me-up, or to wind down after a long day and it doesn't cost me many calories. Sometimes I can add a splash of milk & sugar (Chai ) and it becomes a bit of a snack. Iced green tea is yummy steeped with ginger....add citrus wedges.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    To drink yes...for weight loss no...
  • apeck496
    apeck496 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Emmatyan
    Emmatyan Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As research show, drinking green tea 3 times a day really increases your metabolism. By 4%. That means losing extra 3 kilos a year. It's definitely a good thing, but doesn't make that much of a difference.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Emmatyan wrote: »
    As research show, drinking green tea 3 times a day really increases your metabolism. By 4%. That means losing extra 3 kilos a year. It's definitely a good thing, but doesn't make that much of a difference.

What research?
  • kak22283
    kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think once you become a tea drinker, you tend to steer away from the artificial stuff, which is a plus. Just gotta watch the cream and sugar, etc. I love iced green tea with lemon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

yes, what research?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Green tea does help metabolism and lower cholesterol but you have to drink approximately 10 cups a day or more to benefit. I don't remember where the research is but that cup a day won't really help you. If you're like me and that cup a day comes with a low / no calorie sweetener and a 3g serving of fiber (I stir in Benefiber) AND keeps you off of Dr. Pepper, then the benefits there are way more than you'll get to your metabolism or cholesterol :smiley:
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I don't drink coffee. It is full of anti-oxidants ( but so is coffee!). It won't make you burn more calories. Maybe it can help suppress a craving. Trader joes has a jasmine green tea that I loooove.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    people ALWAYS say that green tea is some kind of elixir...I, personally, like ALL kinds of tea...Without cream or sugar it is ZERO calories, which CAN'T be bad for you!!! I'm not sure that green tea is any better or any worse than any of the other teas, though...(Just my opinion...)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

yes, what research?

Sounds like they're basing their numbers on this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049 I've brought it up before in the green tea threads. It's from 1999, so it's old. Small sample size, etc. etc. But I think the 4% number is useful because it shows just how small the effect of green tea really is (if there is any at all). That would give me a whopping 88 extra calories per day. That's well within the margin of error when you're talking about calorie counting.

• stormfront98
    stormfront98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is tea green black or red nothing will burn the weight other then proper eating and cardio. tea may have some benefits in keeping warm taste and antioxidants but all the rest is media hype in sensationalism .. can you lose weight from drinking tea.. same as drinking 8 glasses of plain water..
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It doesn't stain my teeth and it's easier on my stomach than coffee. Those are the only benefits I've noticed.
  • owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like Peppermint tea - helps me sleep. I occasionally drink Green Tea, but i take food supplements that contain Green Tea and too much is bad for your liver.
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i really like matcha green tea. it is a lot more expensive and tricky to get hold of (about £10 per months supply) and it tastes very strong, but since drinking it i've noticed that my mood is brighter and i have more energy. this has made a massive difference to my life, and though i now associate the taste with the good things i get from it, if i am honest i am still not a fan of the taste!
    i like normal green tea, and drink a fair bit of herbal tea too. a nice alternative to water, but no miracle beverage.