C25K??

Options
sadlerlj14
sadlerlj14 Posts: 11 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
hey guys im new to this and i am starting Couch to 5-K tomorrow. Im wondering how hard it is because ive never ran in my life so please any experience, tips and more??

Replies

• hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do you mean RunDouble C25K? It's easy. I use it. It's a good program and it isn't all running. The first several workouts are walk/run workouts so you can adjust.
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4. I had been working out regularly for about 7 months but not running. Then decided to start running, after a few weeks realized I needed more structure to improve & started c25k. I've had no problem completing each day so far. And even doing more (longer) than the app. And was a smoker for 30yrs just 3 months ago! So I'm really loving it!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Program is pretty easy until you get to the jump in running times in week 5 (pretty sure it's 5). But really, the difficulty is more mental (I have to run HOW long?) than anything else if you've been fine with the program up to that point.

Some advice:
    • Don't be tempted to do more than asked, or not to rest. You're going to be strengthening ligaments, etc, and that takes time. Much longer than strengthening muscles or building a cardio base. On the other hand, if your program has optional run/walk sections and you feel good go ahead and run through them. You'll be glad you did in later sessions.
    • Look up good running form and try to adhere to it now - it's much easier than fixing form later on.
    • Run slowly enough that you have no trouble breathing. If you can't carry on a conversation, slow down.
    • If you feel pain outside of sore/stiff muscles, don't push through it. Figure out the problem (wrong shoes? poor form? something else?) and fix it or risk injuring yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's a good introductory to running a 5K. It is designed pretty much for people who have never run or haven't run in a long time. You should be fine if you follow the program.

As you have never run, it will be challenging...but exercise is supposed to challenge you...if you're not challenging yourself, you're not making fitness gains.
  • hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 and I've never been a runner in my life. When I first started I thought there was no way I'd ever be able to run longer than 30 seconds but I've proven myself wrong. I agree with the above poster stating that the difficulty is more mental. I constantly give myself pep talks. I run slow and I use the rest days.