Cleanse/Detox Questions

Options

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I get really bloated sometimes, headaches and I usually take a while in the rr.I want something natural that will help me clean my liver, stomach, etc. .

OK, so you're looking for some type of supplement to help with bloating, headaches, rr, that will clear your liver and stomach? I don't think there is one substance out there known to do all of this. Nothing will really clear your live or stomach. If you don't already drink mostly water, start there. Honestly, I don't think there is a potion that will clean any of these issues for you. Eating lots of natural, healthy food, and sticking to water will solve most of this.

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would just start eating well and drink a bunch of water. You will feel better very quickly
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I think your question is confusing because it's not specific....it's like going to a makeup counter and asking for a product to make you "look good". That's different than saying "I want something to cover skin flaws" or "something to highlight my cheekbones" - they will never have one product that does it all, ya know?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're wanting to do a cleanse/ detox to reset yourself mentally, go for it. I have done cleanses in the past and find them very helpful from a mental standpoint, simply because it forces me to be focused. The recommended plans that come along with the cleanse don't leave you with any choices, which some people find helpful.

Physically though, a cleanse isn't really going to do anything for you like rid you of toxins. You've already started that process by quitting smoking.

Make sense?
  • svgomez1241
    svgomez1241 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally would rather start my day with a glass of gasoline than a drink of vinegar. I start my day with 2 cups of coffee with cream. I drink a lot of water. I eat a lot of water-rich foods. It's been said on here before that the toilet paper industry is proof that your body knows how to detoxify itself. It's best to focus on keeping the toxins OUT and your decision to stop smoking is a great one! I prepare the majority of my foods from scratch, and avoid packaged/processed foods the majority of the time.

Thanks. I do eat out often since I'm at school more than half the time but I really should prepare my meals at home more often.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just once I wish someone would tell me specifically what toxins they are trying to clean out.
  • svgomez1241
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Drink enough fluid to keep well hydrated, keep smoking/booze to a minimum, eat nutritious food and lay off anything which causes you to bloat (which might be salty food/fizzy drinks/whatever), get enough sleep and exercise regularly. That'll do you. Your body can detox itself.

That's the thing. I don't know which foods cause me to bloat but I have the exercise and sleep on check.
  • svgomez1241
    Options
    happyfit87 wrote: »
    Honestly, I've done a cleanse twice since starting my weight loss on New Years and great things have come from it. I don't think most cleanses are healthy as they take away essential nutrients, etc but I use Kaeng Raeng. It's kind of expensive but I've had great results. I've done 2 of their 3 day cleanses with good results and then just finished up a 6 day cleanse in April where I lost 5 pounds. I have only lost more weight since then and I'm very moderate when it comes to my food choices. What I love about them is they have protein, fiber and everything else. If you only drink the smoothies, the calories are really low so they encourage you to eat as many veggies and fruits as you want. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. :)

Thanks but I'm not interested in this. I clearly stated that in my post.

• BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Detox/Cleanse Diet: lower in calories; cut out refined sugars, soda, packaged foods and unhealthy snacks, sodium, alcohol, and anything cooked. Encourage lots of fruits, vegetables, water, and tea. Remove all processed foods from your diet.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've read that people who are "detoxing" from addictions (ie. drugs, alcohol, smoking) have a sped-up response when their normal treatments are supplemented with infra red sauna treatments or hot yoga. YMMV, of course, but you might feel better by starting up a routine that includes hot yoga and/or sauna treatments.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Drink enough fluid to keep well hydrated, keep smoking/booze to a minimum, eat nutritious food and lay off anything which causes you to bloat (which might be salty food/fizzy drinks/whatever), get enough sleep and exercise regularly. That'll do you. Your body can detox itself.

That's the thing. I don't know which foods cause me to bloat but I have the exercise and sleep on check.

You can always use the food diary on here to try and identify possible culprits for bloating. List everything you eat, note the days you feel the bloating is worse, and then once you have a list of suspects, then try eliminating each one for a week or so to see what effect it has. I find salty food like takeaways and also sugary alcohol like sweet wine or cider does it for me (not that I've cut those out totally, but I know what I'm letting myself in for now!).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    Detox/Cleanse Diet: lower in calories; cut out refined sugars, soda, packaged foods and unhealthy snacks, sodium, alcohol, and anything cooked. Encourage lots of fruits, vegetables, water, and tea. Remove all processed foods from your diet.

What does this detox or cleanse, exactly?
  • svgomez1241
    Options
    I'm not looking for a magic potion to help me loose weight or to help me look good. I just want to be healthy. Maybe I didn't title this correctly since I'm not specifically looking for a detox/cleanse. I should've phrased it differently. But thanks for the honesty. It's always appreciated. I'm just trying to get back on track the healthy train.
  • svgomez1241
    Options

You can always use the food diary on here to try and identify possible culprits for bloating. List everything you eat, note the days you feel the bloating is worse, and then once you have a list of suspects, then try eliminating each one for a week or so to see what effect it has. I find salty food like takeaways and also sugary alcohol like sweet wine or cider does it for me (not that I've cut those out totally, but I know what I'm letting myself in for now!).

Thanks that's actually a pretty good suggestion. I'll def do that.
  • svgomez1241
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    OP, if you're wanting to do a cleanse/ detox to reset yourself mentally, go for it. I have done cleanses in the past and find them very helpful from a mental standpoint, simply because it forces me to be focused. The recommended plans that come along with the cleanse don't leave you with any choices, which some people find helpful.

Physically though, a cleanse isn't really going to do anything for you like rid you of toxins. You've already started that process by quitting smoking.

Make sense?

Yea it does. Thanks.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Thanks that's actually a pretty good suggestion. I'll def do that.

This is the best suggestion I could think of. Pay attention to your body and note everything that you're ingesting. Since there is no such thing as a cleanse/detox (you have functioning organs to do that for you), you really just want to start paying attention to how your body reacts to certain foods.

If you're still unable to pinpoint which ones are causing the bloat, headaches, or anything else that you might be experiencing (sorry, I don't recall exactly from your first post), I'd bring up these concerns with a doctor.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Bloating can be caused by a lot of carbs, sodium, and alcohol. Check your diary and see if you tend to feel bloated on the days you have a lot of them.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Just once I wish someone would tell me specifically what toxins they are trying to clean out.

Why the liver ones of course.... Well and maybe the intestinal toxins...
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    As many have already pointed out, there's no need to "detox" your body assuming your liver is in good working condition. Upping your water intake is never a bad idea though, and sometimes it helps a bit with the bloat.

You might want to get really strict about your food logging and start noting what you've eaten on the days where the bloating is at it's worst. When I really started paying attention I realized a lot of my bloating was due to going waaaay over in sodium. Once I kept that in check I no longer felt like the stay puft man lol.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, although I'm readying my popcorn.

However, there is nothing - NOTHING - that you can eat or drink (or not eat or drink, other than alcohol if you're an alcoholic) that will "detox" your body. Or flush toxins, or "clean up" your body. Absolutely nothing.

You have a liver and kidneys for that.

Eat a balanced diet within your alloted calories, hit your protein goals, hydrate, and exercise. That's all you need.