Options
2»

Replies

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Immersion blender all day, er' day.

And for what I can't use the stick blender for, a small food processor/chopper.

Maybe a mandoline, too. I have one, but I'm a little hesitant to use it, so we are registered for one of those safety gloves. Because honestly, the guard doesn't work at all.

We also love our Keurig. (Not sure if I love how wasteful it is though.) But you can use your 20% off BB&B coupons on coffee and they usually ship free.
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the nutribullet. way better than blenders for smoothies!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Toaster oven/countertop convection oven. I use it all the time for those little things you don't want to crank up the big oven for.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    -Stand mixer (KitchenAid beast)
    -Cuisinart small food processor
    -electric kettle, auto-shut-off
    -two GOOD KNIVES, mid-size and big (better to have two great knives than some crazy set of 30 crappy knives) and a bread knife and a paring knife
  • haibu
    Options
    -Stock pot
    -Dutch oven style pot, like a casserole pot that can go from stovetop to oven (eg the big Le Creusets), use this all the time for stews, soups, chilis....

I think I could go forever...
  • haibu
    Options
    As for the coffee maker suggestions...Psssht...French press all the way.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    things i use all the time (been married 18 years to a chef for what its worth LOL)

rice cooker
    kitchen aid stand mixer (esp during holidays)
    george foreman grill (actually we go through stages with it but i would miss having it)
    hot water dispenser (we use our keurig for this but id rather just have the dispenser LOL)
    toaster oven
    small food processor
    food scale
    good knives (for both me and hubby these are highly personal and not necessarily a good gift for US lol)
    good pots and pans (whatever your preference is)
    coffee pot

things i rarely use

pretty much anything else LOL
    waffle maker/bread maker/ crock pot
    any other appliance that requires electricity (counter space is at a premium in my kitchen LOL)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    haibu wrote: »
    As for the coffee maker suggestions...Psssht...French press all the way.

hahaha - agreed. I only use my Nespresso when I'm lazy/short on time. But along with a French press, I'd also suggest a good grinder. Just for the beans.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Stuff I use regularly: crockpot, rice cooker, 2 really nice chef knives (they do 95% of my cutting/chopping), toaster oven, coffee maker, keurig, soda stream

Stuff I use occasionally: kitchen aid stand mixer, Cuisinart food processor, Tupperware food chopper/mixer (it's called the Quick Chef Pro)

Stuff I use rarely, but can't part with: dehydrator, ice cream maker

I know it's not an appliance, but if you know someone who sells Tupperware, try to request some Tupperware - the stuff is durable and works great.

I also just bought a Belgium waffle maker! My kids love waffles and I figure it'll pay for itself for not having to buy Eggo waffles!

• SusanCornelius2015
    SusanCornelius2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tha appliances I use the most are my ninja 4 in 1 cooker and my rice cooker. The ninja is great because it has stove top, slow cooker, oven, and steamer settings. I have some veggies cooking in it right now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh yes immersion blender! Love mine!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    One more, though I don't know that you'd want to register for it so much as just go buy one - digital thermometer with a probe. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Stuff I use rarely, but can't part with: dehydrator, ice cream maker

I know it's not an appliance, but if you know someone who sells Tupperware, try to request some Tupperware - the stuff is durable and works great.

I love my dehydrator even if the only things I regularly use it for are jerky and apple rings. It made bomb 'sun' dried tomatoes but it took so long I haven't made them again. We haven't busted out the ice cream maker in a while... there's never enough room in the freezer for the core. So much fun when we do use it though.

As for Tupperware- As a brownbagger I can never have enough Tupperware. But I would also suggest a few various sized Pyrex dishes that come with lids Corningware dishes that come with both glass lids & plastic lids. So you can cook in them and then just slap a lid on any leftovers & toss them in the fridge.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good knives. We have 3 Global knives and they are the best!
    Small food processor. We got it in a white elephant at Christmas as we use it ALL the time.
    Vitamix or other good blender.
    Pyrex "tupperware" for leftovers, as well as their cookware and bowls.
    Kitchen Aid mixer.
    Digital thermometer
    Silpat (sp?) cookie mat
    Spiralizer
    Electric fry griddle (doesn't have tall sides like an electric fry pan)

Things I wish I had:
    Immersion blender
    mandolin
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Married for over 17 years and these are my go to's in the kitchen:
    Great knives and multiple cutting boards (including polycarbonate ones that can go in the dishwasher for raw meat cutting)
    Kitchenaid mixer (I bake therefore I <3 mine)
    Food processor
    Crockpot (multiple sizes are good if you have the space, otherwise a medium to large one works for most recipes (except small batch things like dips)
    Enameled Dutch Oven
    Cast iron skillet
    Great pots and pans (either as a set that has the sizes you want or individual pieces)
    Assorted size casseroles (small ones for cooking for two/halving recipes and a couple of larger ones for bigger meals)
    Toaster/Convection oven (we're not big toast people but we use it more for a mini oven for small dishes when we don't want to turn on the regular oven and heat up the house). Also works as an overflow oven for holiday meals!
    Immersion (aka stick) blender

We're not smoothie/frozen drink people so I have limited use for a blender and find that my immersion blender works for the most part (although I know some "cream of" soups would be smoother if I blended them with a regular blender). If you're a smoothie person then a high powered blender would be a must have.

Another appliance that I have but don't use very often is a buffet warming tray. This is especially nice when entertaining and I want to keep food warm throughout the party.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I added all of your ideas! .. I'm seeing lots of knives suggestions. Can anyone recommend a brand/type .. Berghoff, Oneida, Henckels?