C25K?

Options
sadlerlj14
sadlerlj14 Posts: 11 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone tried C5K? im going to be trying it starting tomorrow. please give tips, suggestions, experience and more

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just started it on Saturday...

it wasn't hard at all (so far) will be doing day 2 today.

The app is great I stream music through it, it tells you when to walk, when to run, how many more runs you have and when to start your cool down....

I am looking forward to the next 8 weeks actually...

Only suggestion is get some good upbeat music going...good running shoes and have at.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I loved it. I'd never run in my life before I tried it and now 5K is pretty easy and enjoyable. I got the Zombies, Run! app too and that also made running way, way more fun and interesting.

I think the general wisdom around here is that with the program, don't be afraid to repeat weeks or days if you need to. It'll make it take a little longer to get to running 5K straight through but some people do need the extra time to build up to it and it's okay if you do (and so much better than giving up.)

I actually found the opposite, too, because I was in fairly good shape before I tried it, that sometimes I was able to skip forward when a week seemed too easy. You can definitely do that too. But if you're new to running you shouldn't push it too hard or try to run every day (listen to the rest days!) because if you don't give your muscles time to recover it's a recipe for injury.
  • shell0073
    shell0073 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have started C25K..

I didn't realise how unfit I was.. I find it easier to listen to music as well whilst I run. I made a playlist of my favorite songs, putting my most favourite ones towards the end to keep me going when my legs start to wobble. . Lol..

good luck.. x
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm on week 4. I love it.

Tips:

1. Take your rest days. I ran two days in a row while starting out and hurt myself.
    2. If you feel the need to repeat a day don't hesitate!
    3. Get a foam roller. I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARJR796/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    4. Watch out for cars. Please. Don't trust they can see you even in broad daylight.
    5. If dogs chase you stop and loudly yell at them to "go home". Bonus points for yelling at dog owners who stand there slack-jawed watching their dogs chase you. That's happened.

Good luck! :smiley:
  • jules159
    jules159 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used it and even though I was skeptical I would be able to finish it, I finished last fall and ran in my first 5k in November. Running in my next one in two weeks. It really does work.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    good to know people have skipped days...I thought it was gonna be hard but the first day wasn't. I am going to stick to it as close as possible...I have a color run/walk June 13th...so that is about 6 weeks out...it would be nice if I could run the whole thing.

There is also another 5k in August that I would love to do with my sister....
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 Day 2.

Tips:
    Make sure you have shoes with good support
    Don't worry about repeating days- I've repeated w5d2 like 4 times now.
    Listen to your body, if you need an extra rest day- take it
    If you are running outside, run towards traffic that way you can see them and they can see you better

I have never been a runner. Never ran a mile straight in my entire life. Last week I ran 1.5miles. The app works :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I loved it. I've never been a runner -- I hated running, actually -- but I decided it was a skill I wanted to learn. I've done a few 5ks now and still can't believe I like them! Everyone else has given you stellar advice about being flexible and being willing to skip or repeat days if you need to. The best piece of advice someone gave me was to run the intervals more slowly than you think you need to. There's a jump in the program where you go from doing intervals to jogging for a longer chunk of time (I think the first one is end of week 5?) and if you've been doing your intervals too quickly, you're going to hit a wall.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    oh...this will sound "TMI" but make sure you go to the bathroom before running...there is this thing called "runners trots" that you can experience...not pleasant....*experience my son aka man child shared with me after one of his runs*
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started running again using C25K in late 2012. I ran my first half marathon last August. It is an excellent way to get back in the groove.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to stick exactly to the written plan. I agree with the others in that if you don't feel ready to move to the next "week" stay at the current one until you feel good about moving on. You have all your life to keep adding milage once your base is built.

Get good shoes and socks. Sweat wicking workout clothes, you music and you're good to go! Oh and register for a 5K a few weeks out....there's nothing like crossing the finish line for the first time!!

Good Luck!
  • jhamptonsleboda
    jhamptonsleboda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started on Sunday :)I found it to be challenging, but not as impossible as I thought. I made sure to buy decent running shoes, wore a reflective vest (I live on a pretty busy main road and ran at dusk), and had water waiting for me when I got home (god was I thirsty).

I had tried running before just using music and that didn't work. I lost motivation. I like how the app tells me when to walk/run. I'm hoping I don't burn out once I get past the first couple weeks!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I just started about 5 weeks ago (though I'm on week 3 'cause I keep repeating ones).

So far I'm just amazed that I can run for a few minutes at a time. This is new and different for me.

My main tip is to take some tissue with you in your pocket, in case of a runny / stuffy nose. Also, get a pair of headphones with clips so they won't fall out of your ears while you run.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Did my first one in December, after doing the C25K. It was awesome!
  • holliedusteeeze
    holliedusteeeze Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    All this c25k talk has made me decide i really need to kick my lardy bum in gear and get my trainers on and get going tomorrow will be my day 1 wish me luck add me if u can all friends truly welcomed x
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I did c25k about a year ago and found out that I really enjoy running. :smile:

I plan redo whatever I need to from the program once my doctor tells me it's fine.

Make sure whatever your pants or shorts fit well. Running in something too loose is awful.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I did c25K last summer with the Zombies app. It was great fun, had to go run to see how the story would turn out :)

Good shoes, good clothes and sunglasses (if its sunny) are a must for me.
    Also careful of hills. The really threw off my rhythm in the beginning.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    day 2 in...hot and sweaty at the end (it's hot here today) but I feel great.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    sadlerlj14 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried C5K? im going to be trying it starting tomorrow. please give tips, suggestions, experience and more

Do it!! It's the best thing I ever did. I was over 4 stone overweight when I started and I struggled on the first day. I ran competitively as a teenager so for some reason I was upset that at the age of 40, and carrying too much weight, I struggled to run for 30 seconds! I ran religiously 3 time a week for 10 weeks and finished the 5k run exhausted and elated.

My advise would be to get good shoes and a good sports bra. I did the ct5k plan with the local running club who ran the group so that there was always an experienced runner with us doing the timing and encouraging us. Learn how to do a good warm up and a good cool down stretch. I got terribly stiff legs to the point of struggling up and down stairs so if you can avoid that, do! I now run 5 k regularly and have just entered my first charity 10k run
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. I advise against skipping days. Some people feel like a run was too "easy" so they skip ahead. The thing is, they feel that it is easy because their cardiovascular system is up to it. However, they might be putting more stress on their bones, muscles, and ligaments than is good. Running is a high-impact activity, and it's worth sticking to the program to allow your body to adapt to those impacts.
  • annanavis
    annanavis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did it too, as my first intro to running.

I used a podcast that used both tempo music and a narrator who said when to switch from walking to running and back again. The music was faster during the running segments to help with pacing. It was instrumental kinda dance-y / house music, with a really good beat. I liked that the music didn't have words to distract from the narrator.

I would say,
    1. Don't start until you can walk solid straight through 30 minutes at a good pace. All the workouts are 30 minutes, and the first week starts right away with alternating walking/running (although with only pretty short running bursts), but if you're not used to being pretty active for 30 min straight, then the first week will be harder and possibly discouraging. The one I started with was "Podcasts for Running", by Robert Ullrey. His is a 9-week program. After that, if you want to move up to longer races, I used the podcast "Podrunner: Intervals", which has episodes for training for 5k, 8k, and 10k, in addition to extra episodes of music at specific beats-per-minute, alternating speeds, so you get interval training at different speeds of running for longer distances or longer periods of time. Those are both in the Apple Store. I'm sure there are equivalents in the Android store.

3. As others have said, don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks, if you feel you're not yet ready to move up to the next level.

3. Take your prescribed rest days.

4. Register for a race in advance. This is the best incentive to stay on track on the weeks. Most C25K plans are 8 or 9 weeks, so maybe register for a race 12 weeks out from when you begin, just to give yourself some wiggle-room. Try and find a fun run - like a color run (look that up - they are possibly the best races ever) - or at least one with a pretty route, like through a park or forest preserve, and not just a road race. The USATF (USA Track and Field association) website has a place where you can search for local races by location, date, length of race, etc. Local running clubs can also be found on MeetUp, and they'll probably know upcoming local races, as will local specialty running stores.

5. Make sure you have a proper pair of running shoes. Not just generic gym shoes, or athletic shoes, but real running shoes designed for running, and only get them from a specialty running store. Only such a place can properly fit you, based on your gate, running stride, foot shape (not just size/width). Most places will have you do a demonstration run for them so they can see your form.