It didn't take long - MyFitnessPal rolls out its first paid offering!

Options
Here's the full article: http://bit.ly/1GVA4dP and for those that like a long read please see below. Long story short, it sounds like a bug free version at $9.99 a month or $49.99 a year to me. Whatcha think MFPers?

As smartphones rich in sensors and wearable computing devices pressed to our skin vacuum up data about our bodies and activity, digital health is rapidly becoming a large and mainstream market. One of the leading mobile apps in the world of digital health is MyFitnessPal, which was acquired by Under Armour earlier this year for $475 million. Today the company, which tracks diet and exercise, is launching its first premium service, an ad-free paid subscription for power users.

"PEOPLE WANT TO GO BEYOND THE CALORIE."

"People want to go beyond the calorie," said founder Mike Lee. The service, which now counts over 70 million active users, began as a way to simply track what you ate. It then layered on activity tracking and would update meal suggestions based on exercise. But a lot of power users wanted to go deeper, and were willing to pay for it. "We want to offer them a way to make custom reports, to dig deeper into the nutrient density of the food, and to customize the measurements used to plan their meals." The premium service will cost $9.99 a month or $49.99 a year and will be available on iOS and Android.

The transition from helping average people lose weight to helping bodybuilders perfect their protein intake makes a lot of sense now that MFP is part of Under Armour. The app has become popular among the musclebound set, but its features were still mainly aimed at ordinary folks trying to lose weight. The new features recognize that, and pivot toward the brand of its new parent company. "At a very high level, Under Armour’s mission is to make athletes better," says Lee. "It was clear to them that digital and data was becoming a bigger part of how to improve athletic performance."

IS UNDER ARMOUR A TECHNOLOGY COMPANY?

But is Under Armour, best known as an apparel company, really in a position to challenge companies like Apple and Google, both of which are working on plans to help people track and understand their health data? "Data is fine, but to keep people coming back to the app, you need community," says Lee. "That’s what we have that they don’t." With the acquisition of MyFitnessPal and Endomondo this February, Under Armour says it has 120 million active users sharing data about their diet and exercise. It’s not clear if people can communicate across those different services yet, but the ability to chat with other users is a key to maximizing engagement.

myfitnesspal premium
There is another, less convincing argument about brand synergy here. "A lot of people don’t understand this about them, but they are a technology company, from the very beginning. It was a shirt developed by a football player who was frustrated with his cotton t-shirt weighing him down and making him cold. So he developed the compression shirt." Lee says. "They created a mag-zip zipper, changing something that was the same for 50 years. You can do it one handed!"

Zippers aside, Under Armour has experimented with building its own wearables. Earlier this year it announced a partnership with HTC around the Grip fitness band and it also created its own wearable fitness band, the Armour 39. The device got high marks for its comfort and data, but lacked a polished app and social features. That is precisely the kind of experience it got with the MyFitnessPal purchase. "They have tried this stuff before, but realized they needed a little outside expertise, says Lee. "They don’t want to be disrupted, they want to be the disrupter."

Replies

• winsjess632
    winsjess632 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get bugs or pop ups or anything on my version of MFP, and I'm happy with what I've seen from the free version. I guess if you're someone who's really into this and dedicated I think that's not too bad of a price. If you pay for Netflix a month ($8 or more) then it's not that much of a difference and this will actually make you feel good whereas Netflix is going to make you chubby
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Seems totally worth it to me. Sadly, I'm in Canada so I can't give them my money, they somehow won't accept it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'll continue to use it as long as it's free and I don't have bugs. I'm not paying for anything. I'll log my calories on paper if I have to. I'm sick of being nickel and dimed to death.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It Didn't Take Long
    2005 - MyFitnessPal is launched.
    2015 - MyFitnessPal adds a paid option for those wishing more features.
    10 years isn't long?

For comparison, here is a state of the art cell phone in 2005
    cellphone-motorolav3-(2004).jpg
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A bug-free version of any software exists only in the mind of its developer. Before anyone can "dig deeper into the nutrient density of the food", they're going to need to clean up their database -- garbage in-garbage out has been a by-word for decades.
  • mbridge77
    mbridge77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since the last update the existing free version no longer recalculates macro targets once cardio is added. I'm not against paying for extra, but to downgrade the free version to make some pay up is not on.
  • thirtypercentlessfat
    thirtypercentlessfat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    It Didn't Take Long
    10 years isn't long?

For comparison, here is a state of the art cell phone in 2005
    cellphone-motorolav3-(2004).jpg

Oh man, that was my all time favorite phone! The COOLEST!

I don't see any issue with a paid version. They stuck it out quite a long time before offering it. Some people really want to narrow down every detail. I hope with the revenue from the paid versions they will start adding features like posting pictures easier, etc. I just hope it stops popping up the ad every time I log in.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    NoxDineen wrote: »
    Seems totally worth it to me. Sadly, I'm in Canada so I can't give them my money, they somehow won't accept it.

It's all different colors and stuff... it throws us off... ;)
  • TravitoDLM
    TravitoDLM Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    vorgas wrote: »
    It Didn't Take Long
    10 years isn't long?

Feb 4: Corporate Fitness Giant - Under Armour (known for nickel and diming for features in their MayMyFitness apps) buys MyFitnessPal. MFP users fear the same strategies coming to MFP.

May 4: MFP Premium introduced.

Source https://gigaom.com/2015/02/04/under-armour-buys-myfitnesspal-for-475-million/

No, it didn't take long for UA to attempt to monitize in their typical way ("premium memberships") after buying MFP.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article post. I had not seen it but agree completely. I've never had any problems with MFP, but I put myself in the category of those who felt it was a bit basic, and am willing to pay for more. Now if Under Armour could just buy JEFit, for fitness tracking, and combine the two, I'd be VERY happy :)

As I posted in another thread -
    wrote:
    I signed up and posted why in another thread. Given how much time I spend using the online site and my App, and the benefit I get out of it, I'm happy. I'd prefer it was free, but I drop more on pizza and wings for the family at times than the $50 for an annual subscription. I'm sure some people pay more for coffee at Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks than that in a single month. Others I'm sure spend more than that on supplements and other health aids. I think some perspective is needed.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'll continue to use it as long as it's free and I don't have bugs. I'm not paying for anything. I'll log my calories on paper if I have to. I'm sick of being nickel and dimed to death.

I hear ya! I will keep using the free version but if it gets neglected because of the fee for service version I will just start using my Fitbit completely. It has all of the same features and it's free. There is a premium version but I'm happy with what the free offers. Does MFP offer a trial period? Of course it's been my experience that the free version is very limited and when you try to use a premium feature you are informed that you have to purchase it to get that feature.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't mind paying for software or apps because I understand that plenty of time and effort goes into creating software. It's not free, even though people seem to think it magically creates itself while we are all asleep. :/

But, I do NOT like monthly subscriptions. I'd prefer to just pay a fair, one time fee and "own" the app after that. I'm not sure what I'll do. If they offer the premium for free or a short time to try it out I may try it. Not sure yet.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get bugs or pop ups or anything on my version of MFP, and I'm happy with what I've seen from the free version. I guess if you're someone who's really into this and dedicated I think that's not too bad of a price. If you pay for Netflix a month ($8 or more) then it's not that much of a difference and this will actually make you feel good whereas Netflix is going to make you chubby

"Netflix is going to make you chubby!!! "
    Lol
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I hear ya! I will keep using the free version but if it gets neglected because of the fee for service version I will just start using my Fitbit completely. It has all of the same features and it's free. There is a premium version but I'm happy with what the free offers. Does MFP offer a trial period? Of course it's been my experience that the free version is very limited and when you try to use a premium feature you are informed that you have to purchase it to get that feature.

I've been logging with fitbit (for free) ever since Under Armour paid out for the MFP database. I have to say it's a nice change, both web and mobile versions work seamlessly and it has none of the buggy problems I used to experience here.

In general I'm not against paying for an app but it has to work before you'll see my money. Whatsapp is a good example of that, for 3 years it just did what it was supposed to, no issues, no bugs. So after years of free use I had no qualms paying for a product / service that I knew worked. I couldn't say the same for MFP, so switched to an alternative.

These days I flitter in an out of MFP, as I do like reading the fights in the forums, their hilarious and always make my day. We're an opinionated bunch but that's what make's the world go round :)

• slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    mbridge77 wrote: »
    Since the last update the existing free version no longer recalculates macro targets once cardio is added. I'm not against paying for extra, but to downgrade the free version to make some pay up is not on.

Hmmmmm. On my diary it does...
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I could just as easily use a spreadsheet to track calories and macros. Creating a database and spreadsheet is exercise for the brain. I would never pay for MFP food diary service.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

These days I flitter in an out of MFP, as I do like reading the fights in the forums, their hilarious and always make my day. We're an opinionated bunch but that's what make's the world go round :)

That's about my typical use, I read the forums mostly for info on weight training, and to see what everyone is ranting about. It was a critical and vital resource when I was losing, and it Is still really useful for me for checking macros on food. I have also read some of the most witty, creative, funny AND compassionate, heartfelt, AND blunt-to-the-point-of-cruel AND inspiring posts that I have ever seen in one place, and I will really miss our codependent, psycho, yet caring community if that changes.

I'm glad I had several years of free, unfettered, open MFP before this happened, warts and all. I feel like I have a true choice in the matter. If I were just starting out and really needed this tool, I'd feel pretty nervous about potential changes.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m now a premium user. For one, the ads were killing my experience. Now, I’m hoping they do get away from the weight is everything model.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I do not and will not start spending money for things over the internet unless they are to be either shipped to my door or picked up at the local post/ups/fedex location. They show too much potential to stick what I use behind a paywall and I will get used to getting log-related numbers elsewhere. I don't care if they load this site with ads - there are things on my browser that take care of those - but cutting functionality is an automatic game over.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    for now, the things I'm using are free (and I haven't been getting ads). If I want the additional features the paid version offers, I'll buy them but, for now, I'm happy with the free version (and there are plenty of other apps available if you're just tracking food.