Weight loss amount

Options
How much weight loss a week is v the best?
.05 , 1 , 2 a week

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose.
  • weightBgonegone
    weightBgonegone Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and how far you've gotten into your weight loss/gain. Typically, 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy range.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    KatieMusselwhite92113 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    First starting out, with the amount of weight you have to lose (according to your profile), 2lbs a week might happen in the beginning. 1 lb a week would be a little less aggressive though, and .5 lbs will be attainable toward the end.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Is a reasonable guide of what to aim for. Notice 2lb is at the top end an it will slow later on as you have less to lose.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Is a reasonable guide of what to aim for. Notice 2lb is at the top end an it will slow later on as you have less to lose.

Care to back that up with some evidence?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose 2 lbs a week is doable, but if you don't have much to lose then I would say 1 lb a week is more appropriate. Losing weight too fast isn't healthy, and will also possibly cause excessive muscle loss in addition to the fat loss.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Based on the fact that MFP is a little generous on Exercise calories burned (even if you don't eat them back) and the fact that most people miss a calorie or 2 during the day, I think 2lb a week is a safe bet. I had mine set there all the way to goal weight
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    I would say aim for 1-2 lbs per week. Larger people will have an easier time with larger weight loss amounts than smaller people. Trying to lose more slowly than 1 lb a week doesn't make sense to me. Most people don't even own a scale that will measure weight at that fidelity. It is motivating to see the scale move from week to week. To have to wait two or more weeks to see results would be discouraging.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have been told up to 1% of weight per week.
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Does anyone notice or have experienced that if you do a total overhaul of your diet and/or exercise habits you can drop more than 2 lbs. a week? I know it slows down soon after, but I was just wondering. I mean, when I changed my eating habits and added light daily strength training I lost 10 lbs. in 17 days. That was about 4 lbs. a week. So far it hasn't slowed down, but I'm waiting for the plateau.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    Does anyone notice or have experienced that if you do a total overhaul of your diet and/or exercise habits you can drop more than 2 lbs. a week? I know it slows down soon after, but I was just wondering. I mean, when I changed my eating habits and added light daily strength training I lost 10 lbs. in 17 days. That was about 4 lbs. a week. So far it hasn't slowed down, but I'm waiting for the plateau.

That is common when starting a new routine. A lot of it is water. BTW, plateau's are 4+ weeks of no weight loss.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

I said its a reasonable guide of what to aim for. The recommended amount is 1-2lbs a week, but it becomes harder to sustain a 2lb a week loss when you have less to lose because its harder to create a deficit of 1000 calories and your rate of loss will naturally slow down.

The OP has 32lbs to lose so beyond may find it difficult to keep up a 2lb a week weight loss.
    Some people can deal with losing less than 1lb a week, some people have no choice to lose at less than 1lb a week, especially when they have little to lose as that might be what happens in reality. You should be aiming for whats realisi. Didnt your rate of loss slow when you got to target?
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would say aim for 1-2 lbs per week. Larger people will have an easier time with larger weight loss amounts than smaller people. Trying to lose more slowly than 1 lb a week doesn't make sense to me. Most people don't even own a scale that will measure weight at that fidelity. It is motivating to see the scale move from week to week. To have to wait two or more weeks to see results would be discouraging.

• lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I'm going for 1 pounds a week , thanks every one
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with 1.3-2kg lost per week. I guess that is in the 2 point something to 4 pound range.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

I said its a reasonable guide of what to aim for. The recommended amount is 1-2lbs a week, but it becomes harder to sustain a 2lb a week loss when you have less to lose because its harder to create a deficit of 1000 calories and your rate of loss will naturally slow down.

The OP has 32lbs to lose so beyond may find it difficult to keep up a 2lb a week weight loss.
    Some people can deal with losing less than 1lb a week, some people have no choice to lose at less than 1lb a week, especially when they have little to lose as that might be what happens in reality. You should be aiming for whats realisi. Didnt your rate of loss slow when you got to target?

I have about ten pounds to go and my weight loss rate for the past two weeks has been about 2 pounds. One of those weeks I had written off as a no loss week because I knew I would be eating out for every meal. My weight loss has slowed, but not nearly as much as you keep telling people they should aim for.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Tim, aren't you the one who only eats like 1600 calories a day?
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    Timothy, aren't you the one who only eats like 1600 calories a day?

Only on days I don't exercise. So, if I stick to the plan, there are only two days a week when I only eat 1600.