Overweight Vegetarian! Yes it is possible.

Options
So I have been a vegetarian for 6 years, for moral reasons, not weightloss. However, I never thought I would reach my highest weight of my life being a vegetarian. People often say they don't believe me because vegetarians can't get this "thick". Any tips on how to maintain weight without meat?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you burn. :smile:
  • AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lol. Yeah, that's the goal. I'm looking for more specific foods that vegetarians can eat and still be full and get the proper nutrients without going over on calories.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So I have been a vegetarian for 6 years, for moral reasons, not weightloss. However, I never thought I would reach my highest weight of my life being a vegetarian. People often say they don't believe me because vegetarians can't get this "thick". Any tips on how to maintain weight without meat?

People really react that way? I gained 60 pounds as a vegetarian. Cake is vegetarian. Pizza is vegetarian. I'm just really surprised...do people think it's all vegetables?

Anyway, maidenti has it right. :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Saying a vegetarian can't be overweight is stupid. So many fruits and vegetables are high in calories. And oils are high too,

As a vegetarian you just eliminating meet. So you be eating pizza everyday right?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lifelong vegetarian here (24 years old ;) ). Of course it's possible to get fat eating vegetarian foods, heck even vegan foods!

My suggestion? Eat less calories.

But more specifically, i would suggest you cut down on dairy, cheese, fastfood, chips, candy, full-sugar sodas, peanut/nut butters, avocados, etc. if you want an easier guideline. I'm not saying to eliminate these foods, but for me that's where i was getting my extra calories when i was overweight.

Some of my highest cal foods i ate daily:
    ice cream
    pudding
    candy
    chocolate
    baked goods like muffins
    snack cakes
    doritos/chips in general
    prepackaged/frozen pizza
    chinese food
    taco bell everything
    coca cola
    french fries

you get the drift. Take a good look at your diet and decide what calories you can/want to keep in. I found that incorporating more fruits/veggies obviously increased the AMOUNT (quantity) of food i could eat while still staying within my calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've never understood people who think vegetarians don't put on weight, some of the highest calorie (and most delicious) foods out are vegetarian!

Really, it's still just a matter of calories in, calories out though.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Lol. Yeah, that's the goal. I'm looking for more specific foods that vegetarians can eat and still be full and get the proper nutrients without going over on calories.

I like lentils. Lentil dhal, Moroccan lentils. Straight from a packet into boiling water. Like cooking 2 minute noodles.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Lol. I actually pretty much did until I joined this app. People have this crazy notion that vegetarians only eat vegetables for the most part. I have a huge sweet tooth. How many sweets can you think of that have meat in them?
  • gdelrosa
    gdelrosa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am no expert since I still haven't lost the 10 lbs I'm trying to lose. But I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake and processed carbs. Pita chips and hummus are my downfall. Today I ate pretty healthy. 3 pita crackers with a smidge of hummus. Then the rest of my food. I exercised alot today too. Hopefully, tomorrow I can resist more processed carbs. And I didn't eat dessert today either.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

People really react that way? I gained 60 pounds as a vegetarian. Cake is vegetarian. Pizza is vegetarian. I'm just really surprised...do people think it's all vegetables?

Exactly, people are just ignorant. I know obese vegetarians that keep donuts in the house daily. Junk food everywhere. I think people get vegans and vegetarians mixed up a lot too. Big difference there.
  • titania_one
    titania_one Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat almost exclusively vegetarian, aside from fish once a week (if that). I do eat dairy, eggs are rare also. I have upped the fruits and vegetables (realized even eating mainly vegetarian, I didn't really eat that many vegetables), I do cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, and high protein bars (I eat Atkins brand but I'm sure there are other good ones too). I guess more veggies + fat and protein has helped me. Also extra water helps me not overeat.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Lifelong vegetarian here (24 years old ;) ). Of course it's possible to get fat eating vegetarian foods, heck even vegan foods!

My suggestion? Eat less calories.

But more specifically, i would suggest you cut down on dairy, cheese, fastfood, chips, candy, full-sugar sodas, peanut/nut butters, avocados, etc. if you want an easier guideline. I'm not saying to eliminate these foods, but for me that's where i was getting my extra calories when i was overweight.

Some of my highest cal foods i ate daily:
    ice cream
    pudding
    candy
    chocolate
    baked goods like muffins
    snack cakes
    doritos/chips in general
    prepackaged/frozen pizza
    chinese food
    taco bell everything
    coca cola
    french fries

you get the drift. Take a good look at your diet and decide what calories you can/want to keep in. I found that incorporating more fruits/veggies obviously increased the AMOUNT (quantity) of food i could eat while still staying within my calories.

Dang it, I love dairy. Lol. I have completely cut of fast food and I have hated soda all my life. Haven't eaten any sweets in 3 days. It's amazing that as a vegetarian I have a had whole days with no veggies at all! Thanks for the advice!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    gdelrosa wrote: »
    I am no expert since I still haven't lost the 10 lbs I'm trying to lose. But I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake and processed carbs. Pita chips and hummus are my downfall. Today I ate pretty healthy. 3 pita crackers with a smidge of hummus. Then the rest of my food. I exercised alot today too. Hopefully, tomorrow I can resist more processed carbs. And I didn't eat dessert today either.

I can eat an entire bag of stacy's pita chips and container of sabra hummus "spicy" in one sitting. that's 700 calories in hummus and 1050 calories in chips.... >_>
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    I've never understood people who think vegetarians don't put on weight, some of the highest calorie (and most delicious) foods out are vegetarian!

Really, it's still just a matter of calories in, calories out though.

I know right! People are so clueless.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

Exactly, people are just ignorant. I know obese vegetarians that keep donuts in the house daily. Junk food everywhere. I think people get vegans and vegetarians mixed up a lot too. Big difference there.

Potato gnocchi with basil pesto. I reckon I could pack twice my daily calories away in that alone! I think it's even vegan!
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Lol. I actually pretty much did until I joined this app. People have this crazy notion that vegetarians only eat vegetables for the most part. I have a huge sweet tooth. How many sweets can you think of that have meat in them?

Don't a lot of them contain insects or is that more of an urban legend?

I don't think this is a question that can easily be answered. There are so many options for vegetarian foods. We would be here all day making suggestions.

If it wasn't for the small can of tuna I have for lunch a lot of my days during the week would be vegetarian.

Eggs toast milk yogurt pears lentils veggie delight subway etc
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

I like lentils. Lentil dhal, Moroccan lentils. Straight from a packet into boiling water. Like cooking 2 minute noodles.

Good idea! I will get some next time I go shopping!
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    gdelrosa wrote: »

Good job girl! I feel your pain. I LOVE pita and hummus!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    25 year vegetarian, obese for 23 of them...pastas, cheese, breads, cakes, pies, cookies, yum!!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Don't a lot of them contain insects or is that more of an urban legend?

I don't think this is a question that can easily be answered. There are so many options for vegetarian foods. We would be here all day making suggestions.

If it wasn't for the small can of tuna I have for lunch a lot of my days during the week would be vegetarian.

Eggs toast milk yogurt pears lentils veggie delight subway etc

you're referring to shellac? It's made from beetle shells. There's also gelatin which is derived from animal bone.
    It's in:
    Hershey’s Whopper’s Malted Milk Balls
    Hershey’s Milk Duds
    Nestle’s Raisinettes
    Nestle’s Goober’s
    Tootsie Roll Industry’s Junior Mints
    Tootsie Roll Industry’s Sugar Babies
    Jelly Belly jelly beans, mint crèmes
    Godiva’s Chocolate
    chocolate-covered nuts and raisins
    Russell Stover’s jelly beans
    Skittles
    Starburst

Although i know of many vegetarians who are on more of a "dont ask dont tell" basis when it comes to candy.... or refried beans.... >_>