Overweight Vegetarian! Yes it is possible.

Options

Replies

• AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat almost exclusively vegetarian, aside from fish once a week (if that). I do eat dairy, eggs are rare also. I have upped the fruits and vegetables (realized even eating mainly vegetarian, I didn't really eat that many vegetables), I do cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, and high protein bars (I eat Atkins brand but I'm sure there are other good ones too). I guess more veggies + fat and protein has helped me. Also extra water helps me not overeat.

Yes, I know what you mean. I had to up my veggie intake like crazy. I have committed to not drinking anything but water since I joined this app and it has definitely helped. I haven't tried Atkins but it seems like most protein bars taste so nasty!
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    gdelrosa wrote: »
    I am no expert since I still haven't lost the 10 lbs I'm trying to lose. But I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake and processed carbs. Pita chips and hummus are my downfall. Today I ate pretty healthy. 3 pita crackers with a smidge of hummus. Then the rest of my food. I exercised alot today too. Hopefully, tomorrow I can resist more processed carbs. And I didn't eat dessert today either.

I can eat an entire bag of stacy's pita chips and container of sabra hummus "spicy" in one sitting. that's 700 calories in hummus and 1050 calories in chips.... >_>

Dang I didn't realize how many calories were in those things. Haven't had any since I joined but now I'm afraid to. Lol.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Lol. I actually pretty much did until I joined this app. People have this crazy notion that vegetarians only eat vegetables for the most part. I have a huge sweet tooth. How many sweets can you think of that have meat in them?

Don't a lot of them contain insects or is that more of an urban legend?

I don't think this is a question that can easily be answered. There are so many options for vegetarian foods. We would be here all day making suggestions.

If it wasn't for the small can of tuna I have for lunch a lot of my days during the week would be vegetarian.

Eggs toast milk yogurt pears lentils veggie delight subway etc

you're referring to shellac? It's made from beetle shells. There's also gelatin which is derived from animal bone.
    It's in:
    Hershey’s Whopper’s Malted Milk Balls
    Hershey’s Milk Duds
    Nestle’s Raisinettes
    Nestle’s Goober’s
    Tootsie Roll Industry’s Junior Mints
    Tootsie Roll Industry’s Sugar Babies
    Jelly Belly jelly beans, mint crèmes
    Godiva’s Chocolate
    chocolate-covered nuts and raisins
    Russell Stover’s jelly beans
    Skittles
    Starburst

Although i know of many vegetarians who are on more of a "dont ask dont tell" basis when it comes to candy.... or refried beans.... >_>

Nah I meant more direct as in parts of insects.
    According to ABC News, the average chocolate bar contains eight insect parts. Anything less than 60 insect pieces per 100 grams of chocolate (two chocolate bars' worth) is deemed safe for consumption by the Food and Drug Administration.Apr 3, 2012
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Lol. I actually pretty much did until I joined this app. People have this crazy notion that vegetarians only eat vegetables for the most part. I have a huge sweet tooth. How many sweets can you think of that have meat in them?

I don't think this is a question that can easily be answered. There are so many options for vegetarian foods. We would be here all day making suggestions.

If it wasn't for the small can of tuna I have for lunch a lot of my days during the week would be vegetarian.

Lol. I did buy suckers with scorpions in them before. My brother actually ate them and said they weren't bad. Ooh, I love veggie delight from Subway with Sriracha sauce. Yum yum!
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    25 year vegetarian, obese for 23 of them...pastas, cheese, breads, cakes, pies, cookies, yum!!

Someone gets it! Lol.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

you're referring to shellac? It's made from beetle shells. There's also gelatin which is derived from animal bone.
    It's in:
    Hershey’s Milk Duds
    Nestle’s Raisinettes
    Nestle’s Goober’s
    Godiva’s Chocolate
    Skittles
    Starburst

Although i know of many vegetarians who are on more of a "dont ask dont tell" basis when it comes to candy.... or refried beans.... >_>

Wow, I never knew these items contained animal product. This is very eye opening.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

It's in:
    Hershey’s Milk Duds
    Nestle’s Raisinettes
    Nestle’s Goober’s
    Godiva’s Chocolate
    Skittles
    Starburst

According to ABC News, the average chocolate bar contains eight insect parts. Anything less than 60 insect pieces per 100 grams of chocolate (two chocolate bars' worth) is deemed safe for consumption by the Food and Drug Administration.Apr 3, 2012

Wow! Thanks for officially killing my candy sweet tooth.
  • Merkavar
    Options

It's in:
    Hershey’s Milk Duds
    Nestle’s Raisinettes
    Nestle’s Goober’s
    Godiva’s Chocolate
    Skittles
    Starburst

Sorry or your welcome.

Sorry if you prefer you didn't know

Or your welcome if you would prefer to know, or to find out sooner rather than later.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

It's in:
    Hershey’s Milk Duds
    Nestle’s Raisinettes
    Nestle’s Goober’s
    Godiva’s Chocolate
    Skittles
    Starburst

Sorry or your welcome.

Sorry if you prefer you didn't know

Or your welcome if you would prefer to know, or to find out sooner rather than later.

Lol, ignorance is not bliss to me. Sorry for using the word ignorance if that offends anyone. Haha.
  • TheJenProject
    TheJenProject Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try some indian recipes: Chana Masala (curry chickpeas are really yummy) also, try low-calorie recipe swaps. Example make cauliflower rice or cauliflower crust pizza (half the calories and just as yummy, hungygirl has tons of low-calorie recipe swaps. Eat whole foods and high fats and proteins to keep you full and fibre! Like apple and raw almonds and include a protein shake. When you eat fibre, fat and proteins you will feel fuller longer which def helps when your watching your calories. I also love, No-bake energy bites made with PB2 there really yummy and low-fat ricotta or light greek yogurts! Just try and find lower-calorie "replacement" versions of your fav foods that still pack a good amount of nutrients.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    Try some indian recipes: Chana Masala (curry chickpeas are really yummy) also, try low-calorie recipe swaps. Example make cauliflower rice or cauliflower crust pizza (half the calories and just as yummy, hungygirl has tons of low-calorie recipe swaps. Eat whole foods and high fats and proteins to keep you full and fibre! Like apple and raw almonds and include a protein shake. When you eat fibre, fat and proteins you will feel fuller longer which def helps when your watching your calories. I also love, No-bake energy bites made with PB2 there really yummy and low-fat ricotta or light greek yogurts! Just try and find lower-calorie "replacement" versions of your fav foods that still pack a good amount of nutrients.

Wow, thank you very much. Lots of great ideas there! I really appreciate your feedback.
  • Merkavar
    Options

Wow, thank you very much. Lots of great ideas there! I really appreciate your feedback.

Anyone tried cauliflower mush as a replacement for potato?

The Indian food is a good idea. Everything is good as a curry.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

there is no replacement.

Is mashed cauliflower good? Yes. But it's not mashed potatoes. dont try and make it that. just enjoy it for what it is. :)
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never understood people who think vegetarians don't put on weight, some of the highest calorie (and most delicious) foods out are vegetarian!

Really, it's still just a matter of calories in, calories out though.

I know right! People are so clueless.

Is it necessary to walk around calling people clueless and ignorant? I'm sure there are things on all sorts of subject you don't know about just like the rest of us.

Clueless and ignorant aren't really insults are they? More an assessment on people's knowledge and in this case they had no clue or were ignorant.

So then in your opinion we are all ignorant?

What was the point of your posts?

I and I assume the others were saying people were clueless or ignorant in regards to vegetarians.

People who expressed opinions along the lines of vegetarians can't be overweight were showing signs of ignorance towards the topic of vegetarians.

Not saying everyone is ignorant or clueless about every topic in the world.

No one is an expert on all topics, so everyone will be ignorant or clueless in regards to some topic at some point.

I stated my point in my post.

Unless I missed something, your point was to post in a thread but not contribute to the topic discussed?

Just to try and pick people up on using insults that weren't actually insults and were just an accurate description of some peoples understanding of a topic. In this case some people being ignorant or clueless when it comes to vegetarians?

I should try being a vegetarian, just to see what it's like. Might force me to try some different foods instead of basing the meal around some meat.

Seriously, I don't understand why he even posted, but it's whatever.

Being a vegetarian is pretty cool. You should go for it.

I always ate my veggies first. As long as I can remember. Maybe I was the first kid ever not to hate his veggies. If TV is anything to go by with kids having tantrums if they have to eat one pea.

At the moment it wouldn't be a large change to cut meat. When I do eat meat it's normally on "bad" foods like pizza or KFC.

Same here, Brussel sprouts was one of my faves! I was practically a vegetarian anyway growing up so it was an easy switch when I read a pamphlet on animal cruelty and the conditions the animals bred to eat are in. Pretty sad stuff.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

there is no replacement.

Is mashed cauliflower good? Yes. But it's not mashed potatoes. dont try and make it that. just enjoy it for what it is. :)

I like mashed cauliflower, it's very tasty. It's definitely not mashed potato, though.
  • Merkavar
    Options

there is no replacement.

So mashed cauliflower with gravy won't be as good as mash potato and gravy?

Hmmm not sure why people would suggest it as a replacement. Why not just eat the cauliflower?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    I've never understood people who think vegetarians don't put on weight, some of the highest calorie (and most delicious) foods out are vegetarian!

Is it necessary to walk around calling people clueless and ignorant? I'm sure there are things on all sorts of subject you don't know about just like the rest of us.

Clueless and ignorant aren't really insults are they? More an assessment on people's knowledge and in this case they had no clue or were ignorant.

I and I assume the others were saying people were clueless or ignorant in regards to vegetarians.

People who expressed opinions along the lines of vegetarians can't be overweight were showing signs of ignorance towards the topic of vegetarians.

No one is an expert on all topics, so everyone will be ignorant or clueless in regards to some topic at some point.

Unless I missed something, your point was to post in a thread but not contribute to the topic discussed?

Just to try and pick people up on using insults that weren't actually insults and were just an accurate description of some peoples understanding of a topic. In this case some people being ignorant or clueless when it comes to vegetarians?

I should try being a vegetarian, just to see what it's like. Might force me to try some different foods instead of basing the meal around some meat.

I always ate my veggies first. As long as I can remember. Maybe I was the first kid ever not to hate his veggies. If TV is anything to go by with kids having tantrums if they have to eat one pea.

At the moment it wouldn't be a large change to cut meat. When I do eat meat it's normally on "bad" foods like pizza or KFC.

Same here, Brussel sprouts was one of my faves! I was practically a vegetarian anyway growing up so it was an easy switch when I read a pamphlet on animal cruelty and the conditions the animals bred to eat are in. Pretty sad stuff.

Yeah Brussel sprouts are pretty good. No idea why people seem to hate them above other veggies.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My friend who ate raw vegan, gained a lot of weight. Cashew butter, coconut milk, nuts, lots of high fat items. And she made a bread with dates, almonds, sprouted wheat, that tasted amazing slathered with fresh peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam. Imagine the carbs and fat! She switched to Paleo, and lost a ton of weight.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options

Yeah Brussel sprouts are pretty good. No idea why people seem to hate them above other veggies.

Seriously they are just like baby heads of lettuce. So cute and delicious. Never had a vegetable I didn't like. Or fruit.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    My friend who ate raw vegan, gained a lot of weight. Cashew butter, coconut milk, nuts, lots of high fat items. And she made a bread with dates, almonds, sprouted wheat, that tasted amazing slathered with fresh peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam. Imagine the carbs and fat! She switched to Paleo, and lost a ton of weight.

Mm, that does sound good. What is Paleo?