Overweight Vegetarian! Yes it is possible.

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I have been a vegetarian for 6 years, for moral reasons, not weightloss. However, I never thought I would reach my highest weight of my life being a vegetarian. People often say they don't believe me because vegetarians can't get this "thick". Any tips on how to maintain weight without meat?

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn.

You maintain weight by eating about the same amount of calories you burn.

You gain weight by eating more calorie than you burn.

There you go. :)
  • moodyfam9
    moodyfam9 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Look what you've started Ashley. For me I confess that I love meat. After calorie counting I decided I didn't love meat for a while. After actually reviewing my calorie counting with more interest I found that many meats weren't the problem. A harmless peanut butter sandwich almost killed my day! Calories in vs. Calories out along with exercise seem obvious. To answer your question about specific foods . . . I often eat the same foods and just change spices. I made a Greek salad the other day with homemade dressing. Even the kids went back for seconds!

Keep posting. You'll find more support when asking. There will always be misunderstandings when reading rather than talking. It's easy to misunderstand without hearing tone or reading body language.

• AshleyCMoody
    AshleyCMoody Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    moodyfam9 wrote: »
    Look what you've started Ashley. For me I confess that I love meat. After calorie counting I decided I didn't love meat for a while. After actually reviewing my calorie counting with more interest I found that many meats weren't the problem. A harmless peanut butter sandwich almost killed my day! Calories in vs. Calories out along with exercise seem obvious. To answer your question about specific foods . . . I often eat the same foods and just change spices. I made a Greek salad the other day with homemade dressing. Even the kids went back for seconds!

Keep posting. You'll find more support when asking. There will always be misunderstandings when reading rather than talking. It's easy to misunderstand without hearing tone or reading body language.

So true. Greek salad is delicious! Wish I could have been there. And I know what you mean with the peanut butter. I used to eat it straight out of the jar. Not anymore! :(
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm vegetarian too and overweight, but I have been managing to lose some weight. I'm finding split pea protein powder really helpful. It's not very high in calories, but (obviously) contains a lot of protein which keeps me full and stops me overeating. You can buy other types of protein powder if you don't like the taste. I didn't like the idea of eating processed food, but my weight loss has increased significantly since I started eating protein powder at breakfast.

I'm a little bit surprised about you saying sweets don't have meat in them - what about gelatine? I'm in NZ, and here a lot of sweets/lollies/desserts have gelatine in them. I don't know, maybe it's different in the US. And pizza from most shops has rennet in the cheese. I've cut right down on added sugar and am finding that now a heap of foods taste sweet to me that didn't taste sweet before (eg plain, unroasted nuts). So I no longer feel like I'm deprived of sugar. It took a couple of months though.
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    malika1976 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm vegetarian too and overweight, but I have been managing to lose some weight. I'm finding split pea protein powder really helpful. It's not very high in calories, but (obviously) contains a lot of protein which keeps me full and stops me overeating. You can buy other types of protein powder if you don't like the taste. I didn't like the idea of eating processed food, but my weight loss has increased significantly since I started eating protein powder at breakfast.

I'm a little bit surprised about you saying sweets don't have meat in them - what about gelatine? I'm in NZ, and here a lot of sweets/lollies/desserts have gelatine in them. I don't know, maybe it's different in the US. And pizza from most shops has rennet in the cheese. I've cut right down on added sugar and am finding that now a heap of foods taste sweet to me that didn't taste sweet before (eg plain, unroasted nuts). So I no longer feel like I'm deprived of sugar. It took a couple of months though.

Thanks I really appreciate your advice. I'm definitely going to incorporate more protein in the morning.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Eat fewer calories than you burn. :smile:

How is this abuse?
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Eat fewer calories than you burn. :smile:

How is this abuse?

Lol. I have no idea. Sounds like good and obvious advice to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lol. Yeah, that's the goal. I'm looking for more specific foods that vegetarians can eat and still be full and get the proper nutrients without going over on calories.

eat the same things you eat now, just less...
  • AshleyCMoody
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lol. Yeah, that's the goal. I'm looking for more specific foods that vegetarians can eat and still be full and get the proper nutrients without going over on calories.

Yeah the problem is I often barely reach fiber goals and protein goals now. Looking for foods high in these and low in calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah the problem is I often barely reach fiber goals and protein goals now. Looking for foods high in these and low in calories.

Vegetables are high in fiber and many are low in calories. Tofu, beans, tempeh, seitan, and grains will all help you meet your protein goals -- although you will need to pay attention to the calories on some of these.
  • SnarlToothSeether
    SnarlToothSeether Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a very overweight vegetarian. Just because I love animals. Not because I don't love cookies, ice cream, and other sweets that don't contain meat. I think if I could go vegan, I'd be a rail, but I love cheese. I get a lot of the shocked "Omg, YOU'RE vegetarian?????" comments and gape mouthed faces when I tell people. I think the stereotypical image of a vegetarian is healthier and thinner than I am.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 11, and I've known a TON of overweight vegetarians! There's a difference in mindset between someone who is coming at it from a standpoint of "just eliminate meat" and someone who wants to "eat more vegetables." Lots of people swap out meat for really high-calorie vegetarian options, like cheese and nuts. You can be a mac-and-cheese vegetarian, or a plant-based vegetarian, and there's a huge difference in the day-to-day diets between the two.

FWIW, I average 120g of vegetarian protein per day (mostly from dairy sources, although I do also eat beans and eggs). You can feel free to take a look at my diary for protein ideas if you'd like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm a very overweight vegetarian. Just because I love animals. Not because I don't love cookies, ice cream, and other sweets that don't contain meat. I think if I could go vegan, I'd be a rail, but I love cheese. I get a lot of the shocked "Omg, YOU'RE vegetarian?????" comments and gape mouthed faces when I tell people. I think the stereotypical image of a vegetarian is healthier and thinner than I am.

It isn't necessarily easier for vegans to be thin -- we still have access to all kinds of sweet and savory foods that are easy to consume in excess.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Hi! I'm also a vegetarian. I gained a lot of weight while being vegetarian and hit BMI 30.0 (Obese). Beer is vegetarian, gah.

Protein: I love love love extra firm tofu (315 calories, 32 g protein). I press out the liquid using a weighted plate, slice it thin, then fry it in olive oil for 7 minutes on each side. Season with salt, basil, rosemary, whatever. I will often season it with just salt and then serve it with steak sauce or lite italian dressing. Great with a side of broccoli sauted in the same pan after (usually 300 grams). Another great protein source in my diet is MorningStar brand 1/4 lb black bean burgers: 190 calories, 17 grams of protein. I also like cedarlane's bean and rice burritos (260 cals, 13 g protein), steamed edamame bags (140 calories, 12 g protein). I really love Gardein's meatless substitutes. Their beefless tips: 425 calories, 50 g protein. They have tons of products, so I won't list them all out.

Fibre: Beans and lentils are loaded. I love keeping a can or 8 of garbanzo beans in the pantry and adding them to just about everything. I also love granola bars, like fiberone. Fiberone brownies are really good and low calorie (90 calories, I think). Edmame and a lot of the foods on the high protein list above are also high in fiber.
  • mxechelon
    mxechelon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight whilst being vegan (for ethical reasons) and the thing that has really helped me overcome my binge eating, and thus lose weight, is increasing my fat intake, so lots of coconut oil and olive oil and nuts, and protein intake, which I get from tofu, textured soy protein, hemp and soy protein powders, broccoli etc, and there's also a lot in peas, beans, chickpeas, lentils etc. My diet used to mainly consist of carbs (bread, fruit, cereals etc) which would just make my hungrier and now I'm full all the time and feeling so much better about myself. Just make sure you weigh and log everything. All the best :)
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Try some indian recipes: Chana Masala (curry chickpeas are really yummy) also, try low-calorie recipe swaps. Example make cauliflower rice or cauliflower crust pizza (half the calories and just as yummy, hungygirl has tons of low-calorie recipe swaps. Eat whole foods and high fats and proteins to keep you full and fibre! Like apple and raw almonds and include a protein shake. When you eat fibre, fat and proteins you will feel fuller longer which def helps when your watching your calories. I also love, No-bake energy bites made with PB2 there really yummy and low-fat ricotta or light greek yogurts! Just try and find lower-calorie "replacement" versions of your fav foods that still pack a good amount of nutrients.

Wow, thank you very much. Lots of great ideas there! I really appreciate your feedback.

Anyone tried cauliflower mush as a replacement for potato?

The Indian food is a good idea. Everything is good as a curry.

there is no replacement.

Is mashed cauliflower good? Yes. But it's not mashed potatoes. dont try and make it that. just enjoy it for what it is. :)

So mashed cauliflower with gravy won't be as good as mash potato and gravy?

Hmmm not sure why people would suggest it as a replacement. Why not just eat the cauliflower?

I happen to think mashed cauliflower is great. And it kinda does taste like mashed potatoes. Especially if you put gravy on it. I make my gravy with a beef bouillion cube and thicken it up with corn starch. Add some onion poweder and pepper. Great!

I like to steam the cauliflower, then puree in the food processor. At this point, you can add milk, cream, water or broth to thin to the consistancy you like. Be careful becasue it doesn't take much. You can also add butter, sour cream, chives, cheese. Whatever you like. I say its worth a try for anyone trying to cut calories or carbs.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Not a vergetarian but i do actually eats pounds of vegetables a day (around 3 pounds usually) its what has actually helped me lose weight cause i can overstuff myself for reletivly low calories (depending on the choice of veggies) and i actually feel full and satisifed. other diets always left me starving.

i suspect your weight gain while eating a vegtarian diet had more to do with actual less quanity of veggies and more to do with the all the other processed foods you were eating that fall into a vegetarian catorgory. i mean i love hummus and pita but i know that its a treat and a little packs a punch of calories. i therefor have to weigh it out and only eat a serving a day or so.

start replacing the pastas, breads and dairy with more veggies filled meals and the weight should shift and you shouldnt feel deprived and instead feel full.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »
    So I have been a vegetarian for 6 years, for moral reasons, not weightloss. However, I never thought I would reach my highest weight of my life being a vegetarian. People often say they don't believe me because vegetarians can't get this "thick". Any tips on how to maintain weight without meat?

People really react that way? I gained 60 pounds as a vegetarian. Cake is vegetarian. Pizza is vegetarian. I'm just really surprised...do people think it's all vegetables?

Anyway, maidenti has it right. :)

Exactly, people are just ignorant. I know obese vegetarians that keep donuts in the house daily. Junk food everywhere. I think people get vegans and vegetarians mixed up a lot too. Big difference there.

There's really no need to insult omnivores for not understanding how this all works, any more than there would be a need for an omnivore to come barging into this thread to tell you to start eating keto.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm a vegetarian, and the way that I keep my calories down is to focus on my macro distribution. I get .6 x my body weight in grams of protein, I'm working up to .4 times my body weight in grams of fat, and the rest is carbs. This combination keeps me sated and usually works out to being a lot of dairy like cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, plenty of veggies and some berries, and some beans.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

In that case, you may find use of this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

It's a good list of protein sources - broken up into what is appropriate for omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

People really react that way? I gained 60 pounds as a vegetarian. Cake is vegetarian. Pizza is vegetarian. I'm just really surprised...do people think it's all vegetables?

Anyway, maidenti has it right. :)

Exactly, people are just ignorant. I know obese vegetarians that keep donuts in the house daily. Junk food everywhere. I think people get vegans and vegetarians mixed up a lot too. Big difference there.

There's really no need to insult omnivores for not understanding how this all works, any more than there would be a need for an omnivore to come barging into this thread to tell you to start eating keto.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm a vegetarian, and the way that I keep my calories down is to focus on my macro distribution. I get .6 x my body weight in grams of protein, I'm working up to .4 times my body weight in grams of fat, and the rest is carbs. This combination keeps me sated and usually works out to being a lot of dairy like cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, plenty of veggies and some berries, and some beans.

She's not insulting anyone, as far as I can see. She stated that certain people are ignorant of what vegetarianism is. And that's true - many people (especially omnivores, although I've seen supposed vegetarians, too) don't know what vegetarianism entails. Ignorance literally means that you (or whomever) don't know - that's it.