Do any of you have Bipolar or Depression?

Options
xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
edited May 2015 in Chit-Chat
What medications are you on, and how does it effect your weight? what is your story?

PS, feel free to add me as a friend if you do :) (or even if you don't)

Replies

• madhu1981
    madhu1981 Posts: 4,829 Member
    Options
    few instances i do get depressed its part of life - medication is a 10km run under 60 mins - i feel good
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been on Citalopram for the past 5 weeks and have experienced the same hunger type feeling as Milica above, hence why I'm back on here. I've gained 9lbs in a very short space of time and need to start doing something about it, although the depression doesn't help because I can't seem to get motivated to do anything. Hopefully logging back on here today is the first step.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    madhu1981 wrote: »
    few instances i do get depressed its part of life - medication is a 10km run under 60 mins - i feel good

well that was an entirely useless post. might have been relevant if OP was asking for some sort of metaphorical answer that does nothing to actually address the main point.

OP: i was briefly on prozac when i was a teenager, i didn't like how it numbed me. i wasn't trying to lose weight back then, but if i had been, i probably would have given up. i had no gumption.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've been depressed since childhood, 41 now. I've recently been on Fluoxetine (Prozac) 40mg a day, but they made me hungry all of the time, they affected my sleep and short-term memory and they destroyed my libido - although being single and celibate for two and a half years, I really should start back on them to dull the unrealistic urges!!! That, and the fact that I'm really depressed again.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was on prozac as well a few years ago. I took myself off it suddenly (which you're not really meant to do) because I did not like the feeling of nothingness... I felt that it wasn't really better than the depression. I don't remember it affecting my weight particularly, but I was overweight anyway.

Things are getting better now though, I have bouts of depression but I do not take medication as I don't want to be dependent on it. I try to ride with my low moods and because it is not very severe they usually pass. Whether or not I would be diagnosed with clinical depression again I don't know, I'm probably borderline in that I can cope without medication, but I am not planning to find out.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    I was on prozac as well a few years ago. I took myself off it suddenly (which you're not really meant to do) because I did not like the feeling of nothingness... I felt that it wasn't really better than the depression.

Yes, you put it better than I did. I stopped suddenly as well as I couldn't tell if the tablets were working or not, or even contributing to my depression further!

• victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Bipolar Type 2 here.

Prescription-wise, I'm taking Depakote 1,500mg a day, Wellbutrin 300mg a day, and Propranolol 80mg a day. I also take a prenatal vitamin in the morning as a multivitamin.

I was diagnosed at 17 by my therapist(who was fired from her job quite a few years back, or so I have heard). I'm almost 27 now(this month, the 24th), and I still have my up's and downs. I've been in a funk right now(or so to speak), and I have been quite neglecting my personal stuff.

I had no problem with the Wellbutrin when I was first put on it. Same with the Propranolol. I have been great with the Depakote since when I first was put on it back when I was a teen. I got taken off it and had been experimenting with different mood stabilizers, and have finally fallen back on Depakote. I think though, that if Depakote doesn't do it this time for good, then my shrink will want to put me back on Lithium and give it another go.

Anyone can add me. I'm always up for new friends.
  • dsten32
    dsten32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on citalopram for about a month, before that I lost a lot of weight. Appetite is nearly back to normal but I haven't started gaining weight back yet. This is actually the first time admitting I'm depressed out side my doc and one friend. I too felt worse after starting the medication but it's slowly getting better. Don't know if it's natural up and down or if the medication is having an effect. I'm doing running and martial arts to help as well.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have Bipolar?
  • bryantparson
    bryantparson Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Escitalopram. It hasn't really changed any thing about how I eat but it does let me go to the gym more.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I was on prozac as well a few years ago. I took myself off it suddenly (which you're not really meant to do) because I did not like the feeling of nothingness... I felt that it wasn't really better than the depression. I don't remember it affecting my weight particularly, but I was overweight anyway.

Things are getting better now though, I have bouts of depression but I do not take medication as I don't want to be dependent on it. I try to ride with my low moods and because it is not very severe they usually pass. Whether or not I would be diagnosed with clinical depression again I don't know, I'm probably borderline in that I can cope without medication, but I am not planning to find out.

I did the same exact thing by taking myself off of it and I can cope with the lows for now. I know that if I get to a certain point I would feel it and have to go back on some type of meds. I lost a lot of weight before I was diagnosed though, I was told not to lose anymore and looked pretty sick. I had quiet a few 600 or less calorie days because I was too depressed to even make food let alone eat it. The Prozac didn't help with having an appetite and it wasn't until I was off it for a while that I gained back weight.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have depression and am on Sertraline (Zoloft). I don't experience any increased hunger on it but I'm pretty sure I did when I was on Prozac (hard to remember since it was 3 years and many meds ago!). Citalopram and mirtazapine were both fine for hunger as well I think.
  • dietcoke281
    Options

I quit mirtazapine cold turkey and it was HELL. Prozac is usually fine to quit as it has such a long half life though. Wouldn't really recommend quitting any meds cold turkey though.

Also, there's nothing wrong with being dependent on medication. Diabetics are dependent on insulin to cope with their condition, we can be dependent on ADs to cope with ours.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    sculptcha wrote: »

well that was an entirely useless post. might have been relevant if OP was asking for some sort of metaphorical answer that does nothing to actually address the main point.

OP: i was briefly on prozac when i was a teenager, i didn't like how it numbed me. i wasn't trying to lose weight back then, but if i had been, i probably would have given up. i had no gumption.

How is your post any more useful than the other? OP should talk to a doctor about medication for bipolar disorder and depression. There are many different types of depression.

madhu addressed two of her questions in the OP:
    Do any of you have Bipolar or Depression? few instances i do get depressed its part of life
    What medications are you on? medication is a 10km run under 60 mins
  • dietcoke281
    Options

How is your post any more useful than the other? OP should talk to a doctor about medication for bipolar disorder and depression. There are many different types of depression.

Do any of you have Bipolar or Depression? few instances i do get depressed its part of life

Because she was asking about medications (most likely antidepressants) and how they affected people's weights. madhu isn't on any.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Because she was asking about medications (most likely antidepressants) and how they affected people's weights. madhu isn't on any.

Exercising is a form of medication for depression. So if she wants to be a little more specific in her post, then we can all be sure that she's referring to antidepressants. Until then, madhu has a great medication for depression and was right to share.
  • fliesdonotbelong
    fliesdonotbelong Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Exercising is a form of medication for depression. So if she wants to be a little more specific in her post, then we can all be sure that she's referring to antidepressants. Until then, madhu has a great medication for depression and was right to share.

No it's not. It can be a form of therapy but not medication.
  • tweezer17
    tweezer17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I can fully understand why someone who has not experienced a true medical depression would not know the difference beewteen occasional sadness (feeling depressed) and depression. Having experienced both I can say there is a difference in how they effect you and how you can deal with them.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Please, and with due respect, "getting depressed" and "having depression" are two entirely, entirely, entirely different things. You can be 'depressed' about something- a life event, someone dying, etc. Depression (clinical) is a medical condition. And you can't outrun it, no matter how far you run in an hour.

• Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    tweezer17 wrote: »

I can fully understand why someone who has not experienced a true medical depression would not know the difference beewteen occasional sadness (feeling depressed) and depression. Having experienced both I can say there is a difference in how they effect you and how you can deal with them.

When I am just feeling down and bummed out, exercise can help me to fight through it. When I'm in full blown self harming, can't get out of bed, and don't see any way out of what I'm feeling...exercise isn't even an option. I'm just fighting for each minute and running outside won't do *kitten* for me.