Quick ideas to add protein to breakfast?

Options
nicola8989
nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
I am not a morning person and I don't have time (well the inclination to get up early and make time!) to grill turkey bacon or anything else on a morning. My OH normally makes me a wholemeal bagel and brings it to bed for me because yes I'm spoiled!

What can I add to make it more protein-y as I need to get more protein into my day? Is peanut butter enough?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter (or nut butter) is a fat source, not a protein source.

What about hard boiled eggs, or ham and cheese on your bagel? Or smoked salmon?
    Yoghurt with protein Powder stirred through?
  • redsnapper8
    redsnapper8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you can premake these and stick them in the microwave (or eat them cold flying out the door). They are low cal and high protein and will last a few days in the fridge http://foxeslovelemons.com/make-ahead-breakfast-muffins/
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast? If you eat cereals/oatmeal, I would suggest whey powder that you can mix into the milk or almonds that you can spread over it.

Sorry just saw what you usually eat. You could perhaps try adding some chicken to your bagel?
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at work at my desk - so want something quick and easy. I usually go with greek yoghurt and fruit. Greek yoghurt is a great source of protein!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    I think peanut butter is fine. You could also have cottage cheese or a cheese stick or Greek yogurt.

I'm a vegetarian, but I think cold meat or chicken (leftover or deli) would work too. I'm not an expert on this though. ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cook a hamburger the night before. Heat it up in the a.m. Eat with your favorite mustard.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs....

Cook a load up wait for them to cool... stick em in fridge

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausages are great! They taste even more like original sausages than the turkey bacon vs. real bacon does. I'm a fan of breakfast meats. :smiley: Yup, hard boiled eggs are great too. If you can't spare all the calories, then just the egg whites are good.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thanks everyone :D I'm not really a fan of eggs but I might try turkey sausages
  • nicola8989
    Options
    or adding some chicken to my bagel :) sorry not sure why that first smiley looks so happy!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, cheese, protein pancakes that you can make ahead and freeze, nut butters
  • nicola8989
    Options
    oo protein pancakes sound good thanks :) I'll look into them. I don't like eggs :(
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    I am not a morning person and I don't have time (well the inclination to get up early and make time!) to grill turkey bacon or anything else on a morning. My OH normally makes me a wholemeal bagel and brings it to bed for me because yes I'm spoiled!

What can I add to make it more protein-y as I need to get more protein into my day? Is peanut butter enough?

Eggs

Smoked Salmon
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    A tuna bagel would be nice
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like to start the day on protein, so if I'm rushed I go with unsweetened almond or coconut milk with a whey or egg white protein powder mixed with banana or berries and drink on the go. If I have more time then I'm having turkey or tuna and hummus roll up. I'm weird, I like my "lunch " for breakfast.
  • gdb86
    gdb86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a great source of protein
  • simmondsjon
    simmondsjon Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Wrong. It's a high protein and high fat source.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    eggs
    bacon
    sausage
    greek yogurt
    protein granola
    chicken
    beef
    soy
    beans
    tuna
    cottage cheese
    peanut butter
    quinoa
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Wrong. It's a high protein and high fat source.

Eh, it's really kind of only moderate on protein. The jar I have here has 16g of fat per serving and only 7g of protein. Peanut Butter has less protein per serving than greek yogurt, and about the same as sharp cheddar cheese. (but the cheese has less fat, believe it or not!)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Peanut butters generally have 2g fat per 1g protein. They're a good source of both.

Reading "I don't have time" and "I don't have the inclination" is more concerning than what to put on your bagel. Fix those problems first.