Are there different kind of squats?

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
OK, I know this is a silly question but are there different kind of squat levels?

The reason I ask is because I do bodypump so know how to squat in bodypump but then a few weeks ago my PT shown me how to deadlift in which you squat down and engage the hips/stick bum out etc so I've been practising this "engaging the hips" and was looking forward to my new found "form" in bodypump today but I just couldn't do it, I automatically went back to squating with the bar how I've been doing it since I joined bodypump (and the teacher never says I'm doing it wrong or anything)....

Bodypump as you know can be quite fast paced so when I was trying to sink lower with my bar I was 1)not able to keep up with everyone and 2) it was hurting my knees because I was then trying to keep up!

Sorry if thats a silly question!

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    OK, I know this is a silly question but are there different kind of squat levels?

The reason I ask is because I do bodypump so know how to squat in bodypump but then a few weeks ago my PT shown me how to deadlift in which you squat down and engage the hips/stick bum out etc so I've been practising this "engaging the hips" and was looking forward to my new found "form" in bodypump today but I just couldn't do it, I automatically went back to squating with the bar how I've been doing it since I joined bodypump (and the teacher never says I'm doing it wrong or anything)....

Bodypump as you know can be quite fast paced so when I was trying to sink lower with my bar I was 1)not able to keep up with everyone and 2) it was hurting my knees because I was then trying to keep up!

Yes, Google squats. You will see thousands of sites that explain the various types of squats, have videos that demonstrate proper form for each type of squat, and discuss the benefits of each.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hey,

In Youtube type Erin Stern 10 types of squats (or something along those lines). She shoes you 10 variations that you can try. Plus shes super smiley so nice to watch!!

Hope this helps!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes there are.

High bar, low bar, front, goblet, sumo style just to name a few...these are all with a barbell with weights except goblet those use dumbbells

Deadlifts are not squats
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Oh thank goodness for that! I dont feel so silly afterall now but was wondering why I couldn't squat as low in Bodypump or squat fast when I was trying to sink lower! Phew....

Was a great class today as well!

Thanks peeps for responding!!
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    With squatting whilst it's more or less a full body exercise, the emphasis is on the legs, deadlifting is a full body exercise therefore you are engaging more of the muscles fibers. For example you need to a good grip so are engaging your upper body a lot more than what you would squatting. If you do a set of heavy deadlifts you will feel different muscles ache compared to that of a squat. It's a slow controlled exercise and requires good technique.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yup, lots of squats that engage different stabilizers and supporting muscles. Some require different techniques for completing, and there is no "one technique fits all" approach. FYI - deadlifts are not squats.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Thanks all,

I know deadlifts are not squats but when you go down for the bar you kinda do the same as you would when you squat....neutral back, bend knees forward, toes facing same as knees, bum out, engage hips, straighten/squeeze shoulders so I just assumed this was how all squats were done!

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,

I know deadlifts are not squats but when you go down for the bar you kinda do the same as you would when you squat....neutral back, bend knees forward, toes facing same as knees, bum out, engage hips, straighten/squeeze shoulders so I just assumed this was how all squats were done!

No you don't.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Thats how my PT shown me how to do them.....maybe the bending of the knees going forward I got wrong as they are supposed to be in parrallel with your toes right?

Lets not start a debate....I know deadlifts are not squats! I'm still learning the deadlift and do so with my PT....
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    bfymt2edjje5.png

I just drop this here...
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thats how my PT shown me how to do them.....maybe the bending of the knees going forward I got wrong as they are supposed to be in parrallel with your toes right?

Lets not start a debate....I know deadlifts are not squats! I'm still learning the deadlift and do so with my PT....

The mechanics of a DL and Squat are different and depending on the type of squat you are doing (weighted, body weight only, front, back low or high bar) is all different as well as with the type of deadlift you are doing

sumo or romanian etc.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

A dead-lift isn't a squat....

In RE to squats, there are numerous variations...but all squat variations will have you go to parallel at minimum while other variations will have you take your *kitten* to the grass.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Thanks SezxyStef....That picture is really helpful....

I can really see the difference now between them.....and I definately don't mimic the first picture when doing the squat and vice versa....

I've learnt something very new again today! Thanks all!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    bfymt2edjje5.png

I love those deadlifts for my cycling!!!