true caloric needs and metabplism

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    zmusic wrote: »
    I workout with my trainer 3x a week, mostly calisthenics like squats, wood chops, rows, things like that. My BMI is about 48 now, and dropping at a pretty good rate. I am morbidly obese and trying hard to change that. MFP has my caloric need set at 1384 a day. I am type II diabetic and I am told to eat more often in little quantities to keep up the metabolism, but I just can't seem to squeeze in 5 or 6 meals a day! I can barely take in 1200 calories in 3 to 4 meals a day. I eat very healthy and my food choices generally are not high in calories. I am told when I work out I really need to get those calories in or I will kill my metabolism. I have taken to using high protein shakes and fruit smoothies, and lots of fish and broccoli. I would like to hear several schools of thought on this because I am interested in what members say about this subject. I saw my doc today and she said it sounds like I am making great choices in my food choices but to take note of my portion sizes. I use small size paper plates and bowls, so I fail to see that as an issue. My trainer says "be patient".

You have gotten excellent advice from your Doctor. My doctor also recommended that I eat 5 or 6 times a day and it has really boosted my metabolism.

LOL no ..

you get the same boost from one large meal as you do from five or six spaced out over the same day ...

please just stop ....
  • mrsmcg97
    mrsmcg97 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 and I am to eat 8 times a day but not big meals. Its to avoid spikes in the sugar levels. Eating 1 meal at 1300 calories would send sugar levels skyrocketing. I have 200 cal breakfast then 70 cal snack. before lunch I have high protein snack at 45 cal (1/4 of a protein bar or something) lunch around 300 cal then I repeat the snacks before dinner dinner is 350 then snack before bed. It about sugar not metabolism.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Forget everything you think you know about "metabolism".

It's wrong.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I workout with my trainer 3x a week, mostly calisthenics like squats, wood chops, rows, things like that. My BMI is about 48 now, and dropping at a pretty good rate. I am morbidly obese and trying hard to change that. MFP has my caloric need set at 1384 a day. I am type II diabetic and I am told to eat more often in little quantities to keep up the metabolism, but I just can't seem to squeeze in 5 or 6 meals a day! I can barely take in 1200 calories in 3 to 4 meals a day. I eat very healthy and my food choices generally are not high in calories. I am told when I work out I really need to get those calories in or I will kill my metabolism. I have taken to using high protein shakes and fruit smoothies, and lots of fish and broccoli. I would like to hear several schools of thought on this because I am interested in what members say about this subject. I saw my doc today and she said it sounds like I am making great choices in my food choices but to take note of my portion sizes. I use small size paper plates and bowls, so I fail to see that as an issue. My trainer says "be patient".

You have gotten excellent advice from your Doctor. My doctor also recommended that I eat 5 or 6 times a day and it has really boosted my metabolism.

That funny because my doctor would never say something like that. Meal timing does not boost metabolism. 10% of thermogensis is used to digest food. Does not matter how many meals apart. It still equals 10% of the calories burned to digest.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Boosting Metabolism

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

Having a small meal or snack every 3 to 4 hours keeps your metabolism cranking, so you burn more calories over the course of a day. Several studies have also shown that people who snack regularly eat less at mealtime.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306911,00.html

Enjoying six small meals a day should do the trick; keep them around 300 calories each, or divide your usual day's calories by six.

Not one person will argue that you can eat less throughout the day when you eat more frequent. Now it boost metabolism is wrong and nutrition 101 is when you learn that( well my nutrition 101 class it was in my textbook). Boost metabolism from small meals is outdated information.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Several studies have also shown that people who snack regularly eat less at mealtime.
    Wow, people who eat more in between meals might eat less at mealtime? Shocking news. Other than the fact that it's total calories, not calories at mealtime, that matter, that might be relevant info.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Boosting Metabolism

Having a small meal or snack every 3 to 4 hours keeps your metabolism cranking, so you burn more calories over the course of a day. Several studies have also shown that people who snack regularly eat less at mealtime.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306911,00.html

Enjoying six small meals a day should do the trick; keep them around 300 calories each, or divide your usual day's calories by six.

LOL sorry, that is not accurate. yes, five to six meals gives you a "small boost" but you get the same boost if you just ate one large meal.

as to the second link, of course if you eat more times a day you may feel more satiated...

so again, please just stop.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I will post what I posted in the thread you started with this link.

The disclaimer at the bottom of the article:

"This tool does not provide medical advice".
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options

Can You Make Your Metabolism Better?

Boosting metabolism is the holy grail of weight watchers everywhere, but how fast your body burns calories depends on several things. Some people inherit a speedy metabolism. Men tend to burn more calories than women, even while resting. And for most people, metabolism slows steadily after age 40. Although you can't control your age, gender, or genetics, there are other ways to improve your metabolism. Here are 10 of them.

Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD on August 19, 2013

Do you know why? Or are you just someone who reads the brochure and thinks they know everything? Weight watchers you say. Do you see all the threads of people leaving WW to come to MFP because it works?

Lets be clear of one thing. WW is base on some fictitious point value for foods. I think they have fruits and veggies being zero points. So WW encourages you to eat nutrient dense foods. Of course you can be below your calorie limit to lose weight. It not that way for everyone though. It has nothing to do with boosting metabolism to lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Can You Make Your Metabolism Better?

Boosting metabolism is the holy grail of weight watchers everywhere, but how fast your body burns calories depends on several things. Some people inherit a speedy metabolism. Men tend to burn more calories than women, even while resting. And for most people, metabolism slows steadily after age 40. Although you can't control your age, gender, or genetics, there are other ways to improve your metabolism. Here are 10 of them.

Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD on August 19, 2013

just because you keep repeating yourself does not make the wrongness in your posts anymore correct...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    it is a rat study, but I don't have time to dig up anything else..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3177693

The effects of differences in meal frequency on body weight, body composition, and energy expenditure were studied in mildly food-restricted male rats. Two groups were fed approximately 80% of usual food intake (as periodically determined in a group of ad libitum fed controls) for 131 days. One group received all of its food in 2 meals/day and the other received all of its food in 10-12 meals/day. The two groups did not differ in food intake, body weight, body composition, food efficiency (carcass energy gain per amount of food eaten), or energy expenditure at any time during the study. Both food-restricted groups had a lower food intake, body weight gain, and energy expenditure than a group of ad libitum-fed controls. In conclusion, these results suggest that amount of food eaten, but not the pattern with which it is ingested, has a major influence on energy balance during mild food restriction.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    it is a rat study, but I don't have time to dig up anything else..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3177693

The effects of differences in meal frequency on body weight, body composition, and energy expenditure were studied in mildly food-restricted male rats. Two groups were fed approximately 80% of usual food intake (as periodically determined in a group of ad libitum fed controls) for 131 days. One group received all of its food in 2 meals/day and the other received all of its food in 10-12 meals/day. The two groups did not differ in food intake, body weight, body composition, food efficiency (carcass energy gain per amount of food eaten), or energy expenditure at any time during the study. Both food-restricted groups had a lower food intake, body weight gain, and energy expenditure than a group of ad libitum-fed controls. In conclusion, these results suggest that amount of food eaten, but not the pattern with which it is ingested, has a major influence on energy balance during mild food restriction.

LOL that poster made a new thread with this same very wrong information after we told them they are wrong.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Before trying to add food in, I suggest you be sure you are eating what you think you are. Weigh food in grams on a digital food scale, only use volume measurements (millilitres) for liquids. Log all food and drink.

Re calorie requirements, put in your activity level as sedentary and request 2 lbs per week loss and see what MFP gives you. Log your exercise separately with an HRM if you have one. Eat back some or all of the exercise calories if you want.

Re meal timing, for weight loss meal timing is irrelevant but for diabetes it is important to stock to the meal timings your doctor gives you (not your personal trainer).

If you are still struggling to eat enough, snack on some nuts or some other high calorie, diabetes friendly food.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you,again for all of your input.
    1) My doctor said my food choices are great but since I keep teetering 5 lbs up, 7 lbs down, 3 lbs up., .The yoyo effect is not good for the body, so I will indeed add more calories by using the suggested high protein, higher calorie foods. I think I will be adding more avocado and Kale to my smoothies and use sugar free Terani and less fruit to control the carbs...Especially the pineapple.
    2) I do use virgin coconut oil to cook my fish, eggs, chicken, and I also have very dry skin due to my kidney meds, so I rub coconut oil into my skin as well. I have chosen healthy savory snacks like dehydrated peas with Indian spices on them, raw sunflower seeds in my yogurt ( I love Greek yogurt) but I try to limit it to one a day and it usually goes in my smoothie to help cover up the taste of the kale. I ate my smoothie too last last night (8 PM) and as a result, I didn't sleep a wink all night, and when the sun came up I went out for a short walk in the rain. I am so full of energy today!
    3) I understand about the disclaimer, and I did mention I shared my diet info with my doctor. She always refers me to the nutritionist, but I usually space it out. I will contact the nutritionist and make an appointment to discuss my food, exercise and my eating habits. I also need to watch my carbs a little better, and eat more romaine with a vinaigrette, as well as my steamed broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
    $) since working out with a trainer on my upper, lower body and core 3x a week, I am really getting firm in the arms, abs, shoulders and upper back. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I have to remember that and just keep avoiding the scale until the end of the month.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Thank you,again for all of your input.
    1) My doctor said my food choices are great but since I keep teetering 5 lbs up, 7 lbs down, 3 lbs up., .The yoyo effect is not good for the body, so I will indeed add more calories by using the suggested high protein, higher calorie foods. I think I will be adding more avocado and Kale to my smoothies and use sugar free Terani and less fruit to control the carbs...Especially the pineapple.
    2) I do use virgin coconut oil to cook my fish, eggs, chicken, and I also have very dry skin due to my kidney meds, so I rub coconut oil into my skin as well. I have chosen healthy savory snacks like dehydrated peas with Indian spices on them, raw sunflower seeds in my yogurt ( I love Greek yogurt) but I try to limit it to one a day and it usually goes in my smoothie to help cover up the taste of the kale. I ate my smoothie too last last night (8 PM) and as a result, I didn't sleep a wink all night, and when the sun came up I went out for a short walk in the rain. I am so full of energy today!
    3) I understand about the disclaimer, and I did mention I shared my diet info with my doctor. She always refers me to the nutritionist, but I usually space it out. I will contact the nutritionist and make an appointment to discuss my food, exercise and my eating habits. I also need to watch my carbs a little better, and eat more romaine with a vinaigrette, as well as my steamed broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
    $) since working out with a trainer on my upper, lower body and core 3x a week, I am really getting firm in the arms, abs, shoulders and upper back. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I have to remember that and just keep avoiding the scale until the end of the month.

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Way to go! Just remember a few things

Your weight can fluctuate +/- 5ish pounds every day.

a pound of muscle and a pound of fat are both a pound. :)