Options
2»

Replies

• mzlizzi
    mzlizzi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    pearson114 wrote: »
    I have previously lost 29lbs...

Pearson, I am wondering: what was your motivation when you previously lost that weight?

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I think it's a really individual thing; for me, the control that calorie counting provided actually helped ease my anxiety symptoms, especially when there was little else of my life that I was in control of at the time.

That said, it really depends on what triggers your bad days, and working with that. Are you seeing a therapist? Having an objective professional to check in with and discuss emotional strategy with helps a lot of my friends who struggle with depression (some of which have also lost a lot of weight, so the two are compatible).

And I'd agree with people that point out that exercise is not critical here. I lost most of the weight through the past two years just on calorie restriction; I only started going to the gym in the last few months, to keep myself going as I get closer to my goal.
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    mzlizzi, in March 2013 my friend posted a photo of me on Facebook of a night out. I didn't recognise myself on the photo. That was the motivation. Now, I look in the mirror and I'm not necessarily pleased with what I see, but it doesn't affect me as much as it did back then, and there's more going on. More going on at work, more going on at home with the kids, there's a new baby due in 5-6 weeks time, I'm not happy with how I look, and I know I need to change before it gets worse (which it will if I don't do anything), but it hasn't given me that kick that I need. I know to some it will sound like I'm making excuses and being lazy - but it's not that, there's something else blocking it and I don't know what.
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. It is the very same for me, but severe stress coupled with depression contributed to a 25 pound weight gain recently.

Here's some things that have helped me in the past (from recommendations my therapist made):

1. Take 15 minutes every night to put some music on and dance. Nothing makes a person feel better than dancing like no one's watching, and, since it's exercise, it WILL make you feel better. (This was also really helpful when I was going through a bad depression because it was something fun to do with my daughter).
    2. Self-care - For some, this means taking a nice, long, bath. For others, it might be meditation. When depression gets really bad, it can be hard to get out of bed or even take a shower. Taking care of yourself is a big step to help!
    3. Medication - If your doctor prescribed meds, take them, even after you feel better. Don't just stop taking them without talking to your doctor.
    4. Positive affirmations - These really do help, even though it feels weird at first. Loving yourself makes a huge difference in your life!
    5. Friendships - Don't isolate yourself! It's the first thing I want to do when I start feeling down. Your friends are there and want to support you.
    6. Emotional eating - This is what I do... It's hard to stop, but it only contributes to depression. Try (but don't beat up on yourself if you struggle) to do something, anything, other than eating when you're depressed and not hungry. Now that the weather is warming up, just go outside and sit or take a walk. Getting a bit of sun can also do wonders for your mood!

Feel free to friend me!
  • suke28
    suke28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everyone feel free to add me. I was just going to post something similar. However, I've been battling depression since the 1990s :( I just happen to have a very optimist best friend which helps. Plus I try to stick to the mantra, one day at a time.
  • suke28
    suke28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I can't help with getting over depression. Mine is here to stay (23 years since diagnosed), meds and therapy didn't help, so I deal along as best I can.

This is pretty much myself. You deal the best you can.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I think of my workouts as necessary medicine. Exercise really helps my depression and gives me something to focus on, when all my other problems seem vague. It's not that I "should" workout - it's that I must, because it's part of the treatment that keeps me alive. No less important than taking my thyroid supplement and b12 shots.

Once I've made myself work out every day for 3 weeks, I generally notice that it's a habit again and something I just *do* without having to "make" myself anything. After a couple months, I notice that I even *look forward* to the focused "alone" time.

Grant yourself the endorphin rush of exercise. It is good treatment for depression. Go with someone who looks forward to the time. My kid and my dogs LOVE going out for a walk. They will NEVER let me forget when it's time to go. They will never let me forget that I *promised* we would go. Make a commitment to help yourself, and keep it.
  • nitaaaaa
    nitaaaaa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I had actually initially gained about 40lbs in 4 months from a previous depressive episode in which I was prescribed abilify. Everyone reacts to different medications differently, but it is important to check in frequently with your doctor when starting something new (mine waited three months, damage had already been done, current doc checks in weekly when adjusting meds). Since then I had lost about 20lbs but gained it back plus more during another depressive episode a few years later. For the longest time I thought, if I can only lose the weight, I wouldn't be depressed. My doctor correctly told me that once I am no longer depressed, I will more easily be able to lose the weight. My advice is to cut yourself some slack, don't binge or over indulge but don't be so hard on yourself either. Focus on getting your mental health repaired, and then gradually add in the weight loss as you feel better. I have found other medicines and habits that have helped me overcome much of my depression and have lost 15lbs. Hoping to lose more, but not hating myself everyday puts me at a huge advantage over how I felt before.

Feel free to add me as a friend too! I haven't used the forum much but want to start more.
  • gvj777
    gvj777 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amandadawncraw
    amandadawncraw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with depression since the early 2000's and I still struggle every day. Of course some days are better than others. I am currently in the same boat with motivation. I have all these friends who are working out and doing well and I know I need to get on track but couldn't find the motivation. I finally hung up my size 9 jeans to keep me going. Today was the first day of doing better...I decided to start small with no sweets and only drinking water and just started today. I say start small and find the goal/activity, etc that lights your fire and once you get going the exercise will kick in the natural endorphins which will help with the depression. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will help as best I can with answering any questions and giving support. Good luck!
  • yipyipyeehaw
    yipyipyeehaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love yourself as you are. Don't be ashamed to be on anti-depressants. They are a god send for those of us suffering from this illness. Accept and don't resist your medical condition. Practice self care by taking short walks. If there is a park nearby or some pretty nature bring a lawn chair and do some reading. Open up to your wife ... Do not be ashamed. Try not to 'fear' things - what happens happens. Gary Zukav wrote a good book called 'Seat of the Soul' that me a lot. Also think of five things you are grateful for every day and be creative. For example, the sun was warm on my face today, the nice conversation with my spouse today, the smell of the coffee this morning, the bird that landed on my porch that sang a song, etc. Also don't hang around with negative people. You don't have to be perfect. It helped me to eat similar things every day, that is, cottage cheese and sliced apples for breakfast most days, sandwich for lunch, etc. Also be who you are, don't try to be someone other than your beautiful self. Just some ideas from a different perspective. Nobody is perfect.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Long story short - my doctor prescribed Bupropion XL and it was all I needed to kick-start me.
  • iowaoly
    iowaoly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think going to these boards is a positive step. We should be here to support each other with this weight loss journey...depression or not. Seeing that you are not alone in this or the only one who feels a certain way may help.

I am struggling with lack of motivation as well and it hinders my weight loss. Sometimes it is just so hard to do that first thing...go for a walk, cook healthy food...whatever. All we can do is the best we can do each day. Hang in there and hoping you feel better soon.
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your feedback, thoughts and suggestions. Much appreciated, and nice (in the best possible way) to know I'm not dealing with this alone.
  • louminouche
    louminouche Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have a look at visualization techniques on YouTube (Jonathan Parker and many others). It really helped me although I was very sceptical. Best of luck.