Calories vs Marcos

Options
You hear about people counting calories, macros, following IIFYM, etc.....do you personally only focus on counting calories or do you focus on counting calories AND your macros? Which way has helped you more?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Track:
    Calories for weight loss.
    Macros for body composition.
    Micros/Nutrition for health.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I track calories for weight loss/maintenance and macros/micros for health and fitness.

Helped me more in what sense?

calorie deficit for weight loss...

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I focus mainly on calories, but I do make sure I hit my protein macro for the day. I don't worry about fat and carbs as much. It's been working so far...have lost over 80 pounds.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I just counted protein and calories. Now, I'm tracking macros, which makes things a little trickier, but the calories still add up the same way.

Overall, I think just looking at calories helped me more and got me into a position where I can worry more about the details.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Calories are my priority. I get as close to my macro goals as I can without going over calories.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just calories. Lost 40lbs so far. I keep an eye on protein though since I'm lifting.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a balanced diet but only track calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do both, but I count macros pretty casually--just aim to get minimum protein and be in the ballpark and to understand what's going on in any particular day.

I think focusing on macros helps make it easier for many to maintain a calorie deficit (or even maintenance) in a satisfying way, and is also important if you have goals like maintaining or gaining muscle (although you won't gain muscle in a deficit). For me, how I balance my macros tends to make a difference as to how satisfied I feel with my overall diet--I have found by paying attention that having a decent amount of protein and some fat in each of my meals (or snacks) tends to make me more satisfied and that I tend to crave more carbs when I'm working out a lot.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Track:

Can you explain, or point me to an article I can read, about what macros mean for body comp?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein are my focus. I would say fat as well but I don't really have to watch that one as I easily hit the minimum most days.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    knt217 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Track:

Can you explain, or point me to an article I can read, about what macros mean for body comp?

The cliff notes of the cliff notes is that a calorie deficit leads to weight loss, but within that weight loss, macros and exercise can have a meaningful impact on what that weight is made up of. Since most people actually want fat loss, macros are worth paying attention to.

The vids in the first post of this thread are pretty basic, but it's a solid intro.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10135631/mike-israetel-renaissance-periodization