Work lunch ideas

Options
Hiya,

Just wondered what people have for lunch at work that is healthy and filling? As much as I really don't enjoy rice cakes.. Any info would be great?

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    cranberry feta salad or cranberry chicken salad with hummus on naan and cheese/almonds.

pinterest has come really good salad ideas!
  • rebelchelle
    rebelchelle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make my own tuna salad with chopped celery, chopped green onion with celery seed, sea salt, mayo and a little Dijon mustard and mix it up and put it in romaine lettuce leaves and top with cherry tomatoes that have been halved...tuna salad boats is what I call them and I eat two and they are really filling.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I picked up a bento box from the grocery store (it has one large compartment, an ice thing, two small containers and one medium sized one). I fill it with a half cup of cottage cheese, about 100 calories worth of high protein yogurt, lots of veggies, and some lower calorie lunch meats (like natural selections turkey) or hardboiled eggs. I'll also have some crackers, and will substitute some protein powder if I'm hungry after that.

Alternately, I'll cook extra food at night and measure out an appropriate serving for my lunch the next day.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Pork chop/mozzarella/tomato leftovers from dinner. One chop does it. Most of my lunches are just leftovers from dinner (preportioned) so that I don't have to go out to eat and spend a ton on food that isn't as good or filling. Other ideas are bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with boursin cheese. If you haven't noticed, I'm doing low carb. I try not to eat pasta, rice or bread. The fruit is ok, but I don't overdo it.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I usually try to have leftovers from dinner that I can bring for lunch. Sometimes I make a salad, or other days a just a sandwich. I've started bringing sides of frozen vegetables that I can warm up in in the microwave.

I bring breakfast too, usually cottage cheese & fruit, or plain Greek yogurt with berries, & a new addition to the rotation: peanut butter yogurt dip (2 oz yogurt + 1 tbsp PB, weighed so 16 grams of PB, actually) and a sliced apple.

For an afternoon snack I pack an oz of nuts, or an applesauce, today I have mango salsa & 1 oz of tortilla chips. All of these things could be incorporated into lunch.
  • emmyjo1981
    emmyjo1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend and look at my diary :) I work Sunday-Wednesday and those days, eat breakfast and lunch at work. I try to make my meals the night before, that way I am not tempted in the morning to throw in whatever sounds good while I am hungry in the morning lol
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lately I stick with one thing for lunch and repeat throughout the week. I either do:

2 oz smoked salmon
    half avocado
    apple
    low fat string cheese
    baby carrots
    hard boiled egg

OR

1 can tuna
    non fat cottage cheese
    raw spinach with cherry tomatoes and red onion
    lemon juice/salt/pepper
    hard boiled egg
    apple

=)
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    One of the new things I have started to make is Salad in a Jar, they are lovely and a bit different to usual lunches. I found it on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRemVme-3wU see what you think :D
  • Julz519
    Julz519 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot while I'm at work. Every time someone walks past my desk I hear 'are you eating again??'
    I bring things like greek yogurt, hummus, quest bars, rice cakes with either almond butter or flavored lowfat cream cheese and for lunch I usually have chicken with sweet potato. I'm pretty routine which can be kind of boring for some people but it works for me :smile:
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm doing the 21 Day Fix and this is a recipe that I LOOOOVE!!! (It sounds weird but it somehow works)

-1/3 c Chopped/Shredded Chicken (I buy rotisserie chicken and use the breast meat - quicker/easier)
    -1/3 c Fat Free Greek Yogurt
    -1 Small Apple Diced
    -1/8 c Chopped Walnuts
    -1 tsp Garlic Powder
    -1 tsp Lemon Juice

1 Protien, 1 Fruit, 1/2 Healthy Fat.
    Mix it all together and it REALLY does taste like chicken salad! Have it in a wrap, pita, crackers or plain.

Lots of protein so it fills you up.

Also, try Tuna Salad made with Avocado instead of mayo...
    -1 can of light tuna
    -1/2 Avocado
    -Purple Onion to taste
    -Lime Juice
    -Salt/Pepper

I also add diced tomatoes to get a veggie serving in there!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make a variety of soup, stew, chili, stuffed peppers, meatballs, etc and freeze them in individual containers on weekends. If I don't pull out a freezer meal in the morning, I usually make a salad the night before. I plan ahead.
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks all x
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are your friend. For instance, today I had a chicken thigh (roasted last night), black beans and some blue corn chips. I try to make at least one chicken a week and spread it out through my five lunches. You can keep soups handy too...and use that same chicken to make them. I love salads and always try to put some kind of protein on top.
    If all else fails I usually keep mayo, tuna and relish at work just in case I need a quick tuna salad.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    My lunch this week is giant cous cous mixed with green olives, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, cucumber, mozzarella pearls and some balsamic oil/vinegar dressing. I've made a huge bowl which will last all week. Plus I take snacks like carrot, Apple and rich tea biscuits.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I recommend the tuna salad, but I would suggest swapping out the mayo for plain greek yogurt.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I put some frozen veggies with some protein on top in pyrex and microwave it. Veggies usually range from fav beans, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans. Protein is chicken, trader joe's mahimahi burgers, garden "chicken," morning star farms black bean burgers, tuna.
  • blackberryvodka
    blackberryvodka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a fridge or microwave, so I bring a tin of John West Tuna Infusions, a pot of greek yoghurt, some fruit and a bag of Kelkin popcorn!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm eating chicken cacciatore, rice and green salad right now

batch cook at the weekend - microwave to reheat .. or you can buy a food flask and heat at home

I also like butternut squash risotto or veggie stew, rice and cheddar or Innocent Vegetable pots over Watercress, Spinach and Rocket (Argula)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I usually bring whatever I had for dinner the night before. In cases where that's not possible, usually a salad is my go to.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I make healthy soups and stews in our giant crockpot and freeze them in individual glass tupperware. Make sure the soup / stew is veggie-based (broth, diced tomatoes, etc) and heavy on the veggies with some lean protein added (chicken breast, lentils, etc).

Or, a big spinach or baby kale salad with grilled chicken breast, craisins, a bit of goat cheese or blue cheese, and diced veggies with balsalmic vinegar. Mmmmm!