What do you eat for dinner when you don't have many cals lef

Options

Replies

• DancingYogini
    DancingYogini Posts: 377
    Options
    I usually love having a veggie egg white omlette with a piece of toast at night. It isn't too heavy and the calorie count is low. If i need to volume then i go for a salad with tons of veggies on it and lemon juice for dressing

^^^^that!! I was just going to post an egg white omelette, but you beat me to the punch!! I throw in some mushrooms or fresh spinach and tomatoes...and some wheat toast and I am good!! I buy free range egg whites from Whole Foods, and a 1/2 cup=an omelette=60 calories! Add the veggies and a little olive oil to cook it in (unless you use a non stick), and you are at about 100 calories...one piece of wheat toast (I use Rudi's normally)=100 calories! So room enough for a little dessert if you want (a good piece of dark chocolate is around 50 cals). I love all of the suggestions here!!
  • Kforest0714
    Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What I ate tonight...4oz talapia,half cup green beans and half a cup of brussel sprouts...only 165 cal.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!! You can eat prodigious amounts with few calories. 2 cups is like, 85 calories. Oh, and a 40 calorie sugar free Fudgecicle :tongue:

whoa that sounds amazing! how do you prepare your spaghetti squash? i've never done it. do you just bake it?
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    A garden burger on an Orowheat sandwich thin is 260 calories.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump...some great ideas here!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    A HUGE salad. I put in lettuce, cukes, onions and tomatos, a teeny bit of cheese for decadence(blue), a little dried fruit for sweetness (craisins), and a few nuts for protein (slivered raw almonds). I also add some nf cottage cheese to creamy up the plain vinegar I put on as a dressing, but that's just me.

Me too on the salad! I go heavy on the veggies, maybe some grilled chicken, some fat free dressing and perhaps some feta cheese and 1 T of sunflower seeds if I have the calories.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I usually just make a serving of brown rice (about 2/3 cups) and mix in whatever veggies I have on hand. I find it pretty filling and delicious. Minute brown rice is only 150 cals for a serving.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    egg whites... any way u like them... wo added fats...
    fat free cottage cheese
    tuna
    baked chicken *skin less & no added fats
    fish
    fat free (FAGE brand) GREEK yogurt
    celery
    tomato
    carrot
    olives
    basically any veggie... i like em raw so it's easy snacking... get a bunch make it a meal

a salad w a tomato/vinegar dressing
    recipe... chop up a tomato crush it so it's all juicy
    add some vinegar to your liking &
    some pepper & any other spice u think is yum...

there's lots of things to eat... skip all bread, potato, rice & sugary anythings, lots of cal there for small portions... if u skip em in the day also... you can eat way more for fewer calories overall & get more nutrients... plan these things into your diet only for family get togethers & what not.

hope this helps.
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    I do a lot of the ones I've seen but our favorite is bean and fruit salsa tacos. We use corn taco shells and fill with lettuce, beans, and a homemade salsa with lots of fruit [almost always mango, sometimes with peach or pineapple added too.] Its one of the healthiest meals we eat around here and our favorite. The salsa can take a while to make so I do a large batch so we can have it a few times a week--its also great on fish or pork!
  • kristilynnski
    Options
    Miracle noodles, or shiritaki noodles have zero cals. You can find them at health food stores. They taste fine, have a unique texture and go with anything. Stir fry and spaghetti are what I've tried them in.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    a whole bag of steam-in-bag veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and sometimes carrots) and 3/4 cup of egg substitute, all with plenty of red pepper flakes and hot sauce. 190 c ftw!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Fish - usually salmon as it is my favorite fish. I also have asparagus and some kind of brown rice. I can do plain salmon (100 calories), asparagus (20 calories for 5 stalks) and the rice (1/2 cup for 110 calories) and still have some leftover for an apple with almond butter or something like that before I go to bed. :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    My favorites are...Veggie egg white omelette with hashbrowns & wheat english muffin. Fish taco with cabbage, fat free/low sodium beans w/ guacamole & fat free sour cream on a low carb tortilla....Chicken stir fry..... last chicken with a lot of baked veggies. All of these are around 300 to 350.
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Morning Star Black bean burger and a Salad/ or a lean cuisine meal like chicken fried rice.
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Broiled fish and steamed veggies, or grilled kabobs with either steak or chicken and lots of veggies.
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mushroom omelette made with 2 eggs and a splash of semi skimmed milk (no butter) - 200 cals max! And very filling
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!! You can eat prodigious amounts with few calories. 2 cups is like, 85 calories. Oh, and a 40 calorie sugar free Fudgecicle :tongue:

whoa that sounds amazing! how do you prepare your spaghetti squash? i've never done it. do you just bake it?

found this yesterday and i'm making it for dinner tonight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/muzio/view/spaghetti-squash-deep-dish-pie-91440
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are a ton of great ideas on here!
    I'm definitely going to try some of these!
    Perfect! I love this website and the people are just amazing
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    GIANT salad with peppers, cucumbers, 3-4 tbsp salsa (preferably natrual to reduce sodium levels like Jack's Garden Salsa from Costco) and a chicken breast for about 170 cals.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs. Seriously, it fills me up and the calorie count in surprisingly low! The protein and fat keeps me full so even if I eat early in the evening, I don't feel the need for a before-bed snack.