night eating?

Options
Anyone do that? how do you stop?

Replies

• saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A light snack of cottage cheese, brush my teeth (for the fresh, minty taste), and go to bed.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to stop? Over eating? Interrupting your sleep?

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Unless you are talking about making a sandwich or something because you woke up in the middle of the night, don't stop. Allow yourself a evening snack, but log it first. Then spread the rest of your calories around your meals. I have a snack every night, and I did it the first time around and still got to goal.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Can't seem to edit.

What are you eating at night? Snacks or large meals?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    As in just before you go to bed, or you get up at start eating?

I always just before going to bed, usually chocolate, and I've lost weight just fine. As long as you fit it in your calories, eat when you want. If you're getting hungry in the night and keep getting up to eat, you could try eating more before going to bed to keep you full.
  • maryjane28
    maryjane28 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    like waking up in the middle of the night half asleep
  • vandasreject
    vandasreject Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is the waking up from insomnia and you can't get back to sleep?
  • alicia5569
    alicia5569 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    maryjane28 wrote: »
    like waking up in the middle of the night half asleep
    I have the same problem sadly :'(
  • maryjane28
    Options
    I think its part insomnia like i dont stay asleep part stress response and part im hungry from low cal-ing it for so long
  • maryjane28
    Options
    Unless you are talking about making a sandwich or something because you woke up in the middle of the night, don't stop. Allow yourself a evening snack, but log it first. Then spread the rest of your calories around your meals. I have a snack every night, and I did it the first time around and still got to goal.

no its like waking up 2 am and eating stuff, like 300 cals worth prolly on avg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day to include that night snack, this way you're still within your caloric allowance.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do the same thing, so lately I've started leaving a little dish of almonds on the counter for myself. Having it right there staring me in the face as I pass through the kitchen at 2 a.m. to head to the bathroom has greatly cut down on my cookie consumption. As a bonus, I usually am not hungry for breakfast after the almonds, so it evens out.

• musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. My solution was to lock everything up and hand the keys to my wife. Everything means fridge, pantry, cupboard etc. Fortunately, once you break the habit in a few months, you can stop locking the food.
  • jenniferann320
    jenniferann320 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work night shift so for some reason in my days off I wake at 2am (which is lunch time on a work day) and scavenge. Sometimes I don't even realize I did it until the next morning. Scary and pathetic, . So I started leaving fruit on the kitchen table. That way if I do need/want food it's something healthy. Plus if somehow I don't remember eating it it's not that big of deal.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I picked up that habit a couple of years ago out of nowhere. My food choices were very caloric and usually involved peanut butter, lots of it. Fast forward to February when I joined MFP and now that I log my food, I still will wake up and eat but the calories are logged as Post Midnight. My food choices might be cereal, apple, yogurt or even peanut butter.

I think the snacking is part mental because if I am vacationing, I don't have the same urge to snack. Bottom line - eat it and log it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Why would you stop eating at night? If that's when you like to eat, plan it into your day with pre-logging.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. But log it.
    I run my diary by time of the day. If I go out with friends, DD and grab myself something to eat while we're somewhere at 2am, you can bet I'm logging it and working it into my calories/macros for the day.
    Meal timing doesn't matter, caloric deficit does.
  • maryjane28
    Options
    I had the same problem. My solution was to lock everything up and hand the keys to my wife. Everything means fridge, pantry, cupboard etc. Fortunately, once you break the habit in a few months, you can stop locking the food.

I mght try this!
  • maryjane28
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Why would you stop eating at night? If that's when you like to eat, plan it into your day with pre-logging.

No its like wake up in the middle of the night and eat and go back to sleep and I am an athlete i cant just not eat after my workouts