Low Sodium foods

Options
shavond
shavond Posts: 8 Member
I am looking for some low sodium foods/meals for dinner! Seems like everything I eat is so high in sodium and I want to try and cut it down. Anyone have recipes or any ideas???

Replies

• Alleyez_on_mii
    Options
    no frozen dinners :/
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Cut out packaged foods, this will help a ton.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I eat clean so no processed foods or fast foods. Soda also can be high in soda. I would recommend cutting them out or at the very least limiting to not more than 10oz a day. I also started making a lot of things from scratch. Canned foods have a lot of sodium, but if I make my own beans I season with onion, garlic and spices.

if you are busy a little weekly planning goes a long way. I usually make a pot of brown rice or beans of some type on Sunday and use them in my meals throughout the week. Not the same meals, but you can toss some beans in a salad or have them over rice for dinner.. You can even add some with a bit of salsa in a wrap for lunch.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything out of a box or a can? *shrug* I suppose there are no-salt added canned goods, but many have tons of sodium in them, as well as prepared mixes and such.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I get aggravated every time i go grocery shopping reading labels trying to buy lower soduim foods. I was surprised that even wheat hog dog buns had alot of sodium in it. I did find that in speghetti sauces that the Heart Smart regular brand was the lowest in sodium on the shelf. If you have to have potato chips, i found they have Lays 50% less sodium now. And i buy frozen vegetables that is low in sodium and can vegetables that is no salt added.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I cook all my own food from scratch and don't eat bread, and I really struggle to get enough sodium in my diet. I have to add it to recipes to avoid getting cramps. If you cut out all pre-made food and high sodium bread it's very easy to not eat much salt.

I do think it's something people stress about too much, though. I can see where the paranoia comes from, if you eat pre-made or fast food it's easy to get a huge and unhealthy amount of salt, but it isn't actually evil. It is actually essential to muscle function, especially in hot weather. When I am in Italy I get cramps a lot from not having enough salt, and I appear to add it to everything!
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One more thing, I have noticed that alot of the fat free stuff is higher in sodium than the regular so I usually stick with somewhere in the middle. Take cream cheese for example, instead of getting fat free, I get 1/3 less fat.
  • Kbridges82
    Kbridges82 Posts: 5
    Options
    Your sodium intake isn't nearly as important as your sodium to potassium ratio. As long as you're eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, you shouldn't need to worry.

First source I could google:
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html