I'm anaemic and need help finding a sustainable diet!!!

basically, I'm anaemic, (meaning I have a lack or iron in my blood), so in theory should eat lots of green leafy veg and red meat, as well as my supplements. Relatively speaking I am good at keeping up with the tablets and including these items in my diet. However I am trying to lose weight by trying a low carb diet. I have found this has made me super tired again and brought back my anaemia symptoms.
Anyone got any other suggestions?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Even on a low carb diet you should be able to eat plenty of leafy greens and red meat. Those would be my suggestions.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Eat red meat and green veggies. If you aren't going to take a supplement you have to do what you have to do to be healthy. Plus red meat is delicious and versatile.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Let me begin by saying I am not a Dr. and I do not need to prepare food for anyone who is anemic. My family eats a lot of chicken, pork & fish and I try whenever possible to cook it in cast-iron cookware. Some amounts of iron have been proven to leach into the foods.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    basically, I'm anaemic, (meaning I have a lack or iron in my blood), so in theory should eat lots of green leafy veg and red meat, as well as my supplements. Relatively speaking I am good at keeping up with the tablets and including these items in my diet. However I am trying to lose weight by trying a low carb diet. I have found this has made me super tired again and brought back my anaemia symptoms.
    Anyone got any other suggestions?

Stop the low carb diet?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Cheerios-Honey-Nut-347g.jpg
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    How long have you been doing the low carb thing? I felt really tired and cranky when I did low carb a few years ago. That might be contributing.

Further, though, try to keep up on the red meat, dark green leafy veg, and try to get some orange juice/oranges in there at the same time to help with the iron absorption.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Red meat and lots of greens - also cook in Cast Iron.
    You might need a supplement as well, but I am a believer in getting what you need from your food and nature rather than a pill whenever possible.
    Best of luck
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    If you are tired on low carb diet, maybe it's not the right kind of diet for you. I find it tough to get enough iron from my diet, and I eat a lot of veggies and meat. I would suggest progressively adding in more dietary sources of iron, but also make sure to be supplementing and perhaps doing the infusions if needed.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    You want to definitely consult your doctor on what you should be eating - but as someone who is anemic, you should try to eat as much green veggies as you can (spinach is HUGE for iron) along with red meat. Personally I would cut out the low carb diet until you are healthy again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    The only issue with low carb, which isn't my kind of diet at all, is if you decide to cut out the orange juice out
  • it8txs
    it8txs Posts: 21 Member
    I have found (with myself) that kale, broccoli and spinach have helped bring up iron in my blood. Raw or steamed is best. If cutting out carbs reduces your energy try to stick with whole grains and quinoa. You may have to play around with what you like - avoid over processed carbs as much as possible to help you lose the weight.
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Beans also have iron. Cook a big pot of black beans and kale, spinach, and other veggies. Spice it like taco meat and it will be so delicious!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Maybe with only ten pounds to go, change your goal to building muscle and re-comping. Eat as many iron-rich foods as possible.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    How long have you been doing the low carb thing? I felt really tired and cranky when I did low carb a few years ago. That might be contributing.

Further, though, try to keep up on the red meat, dark green leafy veg, and try to get some orange juice/oranges in there at the same time to help with the iron absorption.

^ Yep, vitamin C will help with absorption. Calcium deters absorption somewhat.

Tried low carb years ago....made me feel wiped out all the time.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    If you're supplementing and still feeling the symptoms despite eating lots of iron-rich foods, you need to get back to the doctor and rule out any issues. Don't let it get worse because you definitely want to avoid the injections, which are terrible and make you feel like garbage afterward.

If there's nothing wrong, then low-carb obviously isn't for you. You can lose weight without being low-carb and it certainly doesn't sound like it's beneficial for you personally.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    It might not necessarily be anemia even if it feels like it. It could be hypoglycemia from eating too low carb or a thyroid problem.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    There could be a myriad of options, but my suggestion if you want to keep the low-carb is to add in more Vitamin C. You probably cut some sources out by going low carb (potentially fruit). Vitamin C helps iron absorption. So you might still be getting enough iron in your diet through leafy greens and red meat, but might not be absorbing it. From one anemic to another.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    echofm1 wrote: »
    There could be a myriad of options, but my suggestion if you want to keep the low-carb is to add in more Vitamin C. You probably cut some sources out by going low carb (potentially fruit). Vitamin C helps iron absorption. So you might still be getting enough iron in your diet through leafy greens and red meat, but might not be absorbing it. From one anemic to another.

this is true
    Choose foods containing vitamin C to enhance iron absorption

You can enhance your body's absorption of iron by drinking citrus juice or eating other foods rich in vitamin C at the same time that you eat high-iron foods. Vitamin C in citrus juices, like orange juice, helps your body to better absorb dietary iron.

Vitamin C is also found in: Broccoli, Grapefruit, Kiwi, Melons, Oranges, Peppers, Strawberries, Tangerines, Tomatoes

I also take an iron supplement. I have found feosol to be the easiest to digest
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Cheerios-Honey-Nut-347g.jpg

BWAHAHAHA that thread was ridiculous!!! At first I thought this was the same chick but I see this OP is willing to take supplements and eat real food!

OP - talk to your doctor, you may need to add in a prescription strength iron pill.