Running Begginer and pain

Options
Hi All,

I've only just started running, its something i want to take up, I have just started to run around the block etc, and this week i have now run twice, but can feel a pain in my knee which has worried me slightly and wondered if anyone knew any more about this with beginner runners or if this is normal till i develop more strength?

Replies

• heidim44444
    heidim44444 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It is normal to have some aches and pains. I recommend icing anything that hurts right away. If it still hurts the next day, you may need an additional rest day. Slowly increase the amount you run.

Also, have you been fit for proper running shoes for your gait? They can help you avoid injuries.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I've only just started running, its something i want to take up, I have just started to run around the block etc, and this week i have now run twice, but can feel a pain in my knee which has worried me slightly and wondered if anyone knew any more about this with beginner runners or if this is normal till i develop more strength?

You're going to have some aches and pains. Take it easy with the pace and the distance until your body gets used to the effort. Your lower legs (knees down) take a real beating that they're not used to but eventually with patience they'll come around to handling the load. I remember doing a 3 mile run in 2012 that killed both of my knees. I had to take ibuprofen for a few days to put up with the discomfort. This morning I ran 8 miles before going to work. 6 miles yesterday. My quads are a tad tired but that's just muscle soreness. The knees, shins, and feet feel perfect. I might even run again in the morning.

Hang in there and be patient. It's so worth it when you can do mile after mile and enjoy every bit of it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I should note that you'll have issues even when you're used to it. I was taking it easy most of last month due to an issue with my right shin. It's mostly gone now. I just had to cut back on miles until it got better. You'll eventually get the hang of what's an actual injury and what's just sore body parts.

Get some nice running shoes as mentioned above. That helps a lot.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k app back in march. Calf pain, knee pain, ankle pain it was all there and some still is. You are putting pressure on your joints and muscles that they are not used to. Keep at it. Take it slow and easy. Keep good form. Get good running shoes and maybe a knee compression band.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Could try running on a treadmill and alternate running outside some days. Eases the pain a bit but you'll still benefit and get into shape. Running outside can be taxing on the joints.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You should not feel pain in your joints. Discomfort while they adjust maybe, but definitely not pain. If you feel actual pain in your joints themselves then something is not right and needs to be worked out before the warning signs turn into full blown injury.

You should head to a running store, have them check out your gait, get appropriate shoes and inquire about any local groups for new runners. You will be surprised about how large of a grassroots community there is out there.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »
    You should not feel pain in your joints. Discomfort while they adjust maybe, but definitely not pain. If you feel actual pain in your joints themselves then something is not right and needs to be worked out before the warning signs turn into full blown injury.

You should head to a running store, have them check out your gait, get appropriate shoes and inquire about any local groups for new runners. You will be surprised about how large of a grassroots community there is out there.

I agree with this. Pain shouldn't be a part of a normal running routine. Little aches, yes, actual pain, no.

Get fitted for running shoes at a running store if you haven't done this yet. I was having issues with my right knee when I first started running. Not major pain but it was a nagging ache. Getting the right shoes for the way I run fixed that right away. I'll have the same issue when my shoes start getting old so I always know when it's time for new shoes (every 300-500 miles).

Also be sure that you're only running every other day. Your joints need time to heal. This means you shouldn't be doing anything high impact on those days, no jumping, bouncing, etc. Many times pain is caused by overuse.
  • marinemplunkett69
    marinemplunkett69 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try speed walking to see if the pain persists even while doing that, if it does an elliptical is a good alternative to build up strength/conditioning. You'll also want to get checked out by a doctor because pain is never normal and the last thing you want to do is turn something that possibly be prevented into a permanent injury.