Fresh Fruits and sugars

Options
ok I love fresh fruit - oranges, strawberries, apples, pineapple, etc. you get the picture. BUT if find that consuming these makes me go over my sugar intake. I thought fresh fruits were good for you.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The sugar daily limit is rather low. I believe it's based on the WHO recommendation for ADDED sugars. There's no way at the moment to distinguish between added and natural sugars so MFP adds it all.

Fresh fruits are good for you.

Some MFP members track fiber rather than sugar because of this.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to track sugars, my understanding is that eating fruit is just fine and that added sugars (in baked goods, honey, desserts, sodas etc) are the real issue here. Fruit contains great amounts of fiber (have you seen how much fiber is in raspberries?!), which slows down the absorption of sugars as far as I'm aware. They also contain a surprising amount of other nutrients like protein, calcium, iron, potassium and vitamins.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The sugar daily limit is rather low. I believe it's based on the WHO recommendation for ADDED sugars. There's no way at the moment to distinguish between added and natural sugars so MFP adds it all.

Fresh fruits are good for you.

Some MFP members track fiber rather than sugar because of this.

This^

I changed my settings to track fiber instead.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits, like everything, should be eaten in moderation.

Even things that are good for you have calories.

I don't mind going over on sugars when I know that it was because of fruit but I still try to keep close to the goal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I track fiber too. Unless you have a medical reasons to watch your sugars quite ok to go over, the setting is quite low..
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to worry about the sugar goal, I replaced it with fiber as well. If you do have an issue with sugar that is really an issue with carbohydates so minding those will take care of the sugar.
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Also tracking fiber instead.
  • tlhsuthrn76
    tlhsuthrn76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How much should we have on our Fiber count daily?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    How much should we have on our Fiber count daily?

My goal is 30+ grams. Adding in beans and lentils on a regular basis helps me a lot for this goal.
  • tlhsuthrn76
    Options
    ok thank u... I just needed an idea.. I also eat ALOT of fresh vegs & fresh fruits
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Fresh fruits, like everything, should be eaten in moderation.

Even things that are good for you have calories.

I don't mind going over on sugars when I know that it was because of fruit but I still try to keep close to the goal.

As long as you are counting the calories, then it doesn't matter.

• tlhsuthrn76
    Options
    I'm counting everything I eat: cal, carbs, fat, protein, sod, sugar & now fiber