So much confusion

Options
I always though cardio was what you needed to do to lose weight. Now I'm seeing all these things saying that strength training is actually what I'm supposed to be doing.

Should I do both? Alternate days? To be honest strength training scares me. I always feel like people are looking at me on the machines thinking I have no idea what I'm doing. Which they're mostly right. The gym I go to has a circuit room. Should I start there three days a week, then once I get comfortable branch out?

My main goal right now is to get healthy, then lose weight. I also want to do as much as I can to not have lose skin.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    KNArzoian wrote: »
    I always though cardio was what you needed to do to lose weight. Now I'm seeing all these things saying that strength training is actually what I'm supposed to be doing.

You're interpreting things wrong OP, a caloric deficit is needed for weightloss.
    Should I do both? Alternate days? To be honest strength training scares me. I always feel like people are looking at me on the machines thinking I have no idea what I'm doing. Which they're mostly right. The gym I go to has a circuit room. Should I start there three days a week, then once I get comfortable branch out?

This is going to sound blunt but... no one cares about you in the gym. I had this mind set for a bit, but no one actually cares. Just do your thing.

You can do cardio, you can do weight lifting, you can do both. It's up to you OP. It all depends on your goals.

• Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For weight/fat loss eat at a calorie deficit.

Exercise for health and physical goals.

When deciding to start exercising it is important to find something that you will enjoy, you can fit into your schedule, and you can sustain as a lifestyle. Some people hate cardio so they choose not to do it but lift weights instead, while other people would decide to do only cardio as their only form of exercise. And there are some people who don't mind lifting or cardio and incorporate them both into their daily routines (like myself).

But as I stated above, the key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. Exercise according to your goals.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I started with just cardio for the first couple years. I wish I would have added strength training but I don't think it would have changed a whole lot weight wise. like the other poster said weight loss is like 90% what your eating.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise does things to improve other fitness modalities (strength, muscle mass, speed, endurance, cardiovascular health, mobility, balance, agility). The main reason most of us recommend weight lifting is the ability to retain muscle mass while you lose fat.

Here’s the rub:
    With weight lifting while you cut calories, if you are fixated on the scale, you’ll fail. You’ll fail because weight is not the actual goal, fat loss is. You’ll be losing fat (you’re on a calorie deficit), but the weight won’t necessarily be coming off all that fast (in fact, it might go up, especially early on). Most scale junkies can’t handle that. They see they’re getting smaller, but the scale isn’t getting lower.

If you do decide to lift weights (recommended), take body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms and upper legs) and take pictures. Use those to determine how well you’re doing, not the scale.

As for your concerns about people looking, they aren’t. And the few that even notice you are going to be thinking, “Good on her, she’s doing something great.” If you don’t feel comfortable with a lift, ask one of the trainers/employees to watch your form (most of them will gladly do this) or if you see an experienced lifter, ask them for advice (we love to talk about lifting and will be glad to give you a pointer or two). If you think you need a lot of advice, hire a trainer for a month or two.

And finally, the sooner you get off the machines and start on the free weights, the faster your results will come. It is harder, but so much better for you. Machines have a place, but for the vast majority of people, free weights are the place to be.

Enjoy!
  • KNArzoian
    KNArzoian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I wasn't being clear. I understand the deficit concept and am changing my eating habits. Since this is in the fitness forum, I was really just focused on the cardio v. strength. And which is best to help lose weight in addition to watching what I eat.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I wasn't being clear. I understand the deficit concept and am changing my eating habits. Since this is in the fitness forum, I was really just focused on the cardio v. strength. And which is best to help lose weight in addition to watching what I eat.

Whichever you like best, like the results from the most, and will stick to doing for the long-term.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    I always though cardio was what you needed to do to lose weight. ...
    I really try to stay outta these things, but just to add to your thoughts: I cleared out my first 30lbs (about 11% from my starting weight) without any exercise; not even walking. Just working with my eating, and taking in less energy (food calories) than my body was burning each day -- Since eating was what got me into this useless-fatty mess, it seemed most appropriate to gain a little control on that part of my problem before looking to add complication into my days... (just thought I'd drop that here) -- Good luck; it can be done.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I always though cardio was what you needed to do to lose weight. ...
    I really try to stay outta these things, but just to add to your thoughts: I cleared out my first 30lbs (about 11% from my starting weight) without any exercise; not even walking. Just working with my eating, and taking in less energy (food calories) than my body was burning each day -- Since eating was what got me into this useless-fatty mess, it seemed most appropriate to gain a little control on that part of my problem before looking to add complication into my days... (just thought I'd drop that here) -- Good luck; it can be done.

I didn't put any true effort into working out until I had basically already lost all the weight either. I did some hiking, but real, going to the gym, lifting, doing hard SSC, that didn't happen until I was basically nearing the finish line.
  • AllanMisner
    Options

Some people see great results just getting into a cardio style workout (walking/running). Others lift weights to retain muscle mass and keep their metabolism higher. And others (like me) mix in both.

Like DopeiItUP said, find some things you enjoy and do them and then do them more. The more active you are, the healthier you’ll be.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The benefit of strength training is that you will retain Lean Body Mass as you lose weight (muscle and everything in your body that is not fat). This generally results in a more "toned" look when you are closer to goal weight, instead of doing only cardio. Preserving muscle is also good because muscle is more metabolically active (meaning that you burn more calories the more muscle you have, all the time).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This blog sums up what it felt like when I started this weight loss enterprise.

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/before-and-after.html

I also didn't do a lot of exercise other than walking until I lost my first thirty pounds. With the extra weight you are carrying, you are putting a terrific strain on your joints; on your whole system really. Do activities that are easy on your joints. This could include swimming, walking, Aquasize, and some lifting.

I huge eye-opener for me is that I don't need to do everything I see going on in the gym. Treadmill bores me, so I can walk or run outdoors instead. I've never touched an elliptical machine. I tried different classes and the ones that interested me, I went back to. It turns out I love to dance, so Zumba is in. So is running. I am preparing for a mudder so I am also joining hubby in a Power class (partly cardio, partly lifting under supervision) so that I am learning to do the moves properly.

I get a few raised eyebrows at the gym because I like to do a little Tai Chi by the stretching mats after a ten minute warmup on the bicycle, and before a one hour Power Class. Stretches are good. They make me feel very good and prevent injury.

Cardio activities improve your cardio-vascular system. You'll have more energy and stamina. You won't be out of breath as much. You'll pink up. My doctor says I look "perky".
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I just happened across this article. It helps explain why weight lifting and cardio should be a part of your program, along with just moving more.

http://www.eattoperform.com/2015/04/23/exercise-is-pretty-useless-as-a-stand-alone-strategy/

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A common plan that's worked for a lot of people is full-body strength training every 2-3 days, and cardio on your non-strength days, with 1 day of rest per week. You can also tag on a short cardio session after weights to accelerate fat loss. If you can only go to the gym 3x per week, then do strength first followed by cardio.. non-consecutive days though.

Are there are any freeweights in your circuit room, or just strength machines.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing both. I did both from the start. I started at a specialty gym and did 15 minute HIIT cardio, then 30 minutes weight. Lost most of the weight I wanted following that plan.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds, largely with walking/hiking, and then as I approached what I thought was the finish line, I added lots of other cardio-based exercises--jogging, elliptical, and to some extent mountain biking (dirt roads, not the heavy-duty single-track trails). I maintained that for a few years, relatively happy. Felt pretty darn good for a 50-year old woman, able to bike 15 miles on dirt roads without a problem, walk forever...

But last fall, to add something to my winter routine, I took up weight lifting--free weights, with personal trainer, with the goal of building strength and trying to move a little loose skin off while building muscle mass. I found out a few things:

1. Of the 75 pounds I lost originally, mostly doing cardio, probably near half of that weight was muscle mass lost. I was not doing strength/weight/resistance training to maintain my muscles, hence I lost quite a bit. As someone said in these forums, if you are a fat marshmallow to begin with, and you only do cardio to lose weight (assuming the calorie deficit, etc.), you become basically a skinnier marshmallow.
    2. In order to build muscles and build my strength after I lost that weight, I had to start at a fairly low level of strength and build up. It would have been SO MUCH EASIER if I had tried to maintain my muscle mass through weight lifting while I was losing, rather than lose it and try to start (essentially) from scratch. It's a long road.
    3. Lifting weights has been one of the most freeing things I've done for my mind-body connection and health. I don't obsess over the scale, I see progress almost every single time I lift. I am healthier and stronger at 53 than I have been in probably 20 years. I am doing something really good for my overall longevity; my bones benefit (weight-lifting/resistance exercises help increase bone density); my core strength has grown so my balance will be stronger as I age...there is simply no down side.

I wish I had incorporated weight training during my original weight loss phase, at least partway through if not right from the get-go. My weight would probably have come off slower (and I do admit there was gratification in seeing regular losses of about 10 pounds per month for the first 6 months), but the struggle to get up to the strength that I wish I had maintained is significant.

Look for some threads on here with photos of women who lifted weights. The before/afters are AMAZING. One is called "Halp! Lifting made me supah bulky" (search for it)....and just browse through some of those stories.

Good luck. I agree with many of the above posters that finding something you LIKE to do and can commit to that over the long-term is probably the best overall...but I hope that lifting may be a part of that!