Replies

• Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    great article - thanks for posting!

dgfurman - when you do your strength training, typically how long do you spend each time on it?

I go to classes that we have at our gym. Each is an hr. long - two focus on weightlifting (barbells), and one is more hand weights/resistance bands/using your body weight. So I go to these on M, W, Fr, and it's REALLY made a difference in how I look. That said, I do push myself and increase my weights, so I'm now (after 4 mos.) lifting more than anyone else in the classes. Some ladies never change their weights (nor their diet, I suppose), so they don't get results that are very visible (altho I'm sure it's better than if they didn't do it at all).

I know some people have referenced a new book that's out, that's supposed to be phenomenal for women and weight training. I can't think of the name right now, but I'll bet someone here will know. But you could use that as a guideline when you go to the gym, or use it at home.
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    Not to sound like a broken record, but thanks for posting that article! I was skinny fat for the longest time, and now I'm working out with kbells and I love it! I want to get strong and muscular, now that I'm not afraid of getting bulky like my brothers did when they did weightlifting in high school.
  • Betheroo
    Betheroo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great article! Bump!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    That model looks like many girls in my country yuk! I knew skinny didn't mean beautiful but this just proves it!
  • Kamila02
    Kamila02 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh... my... gosh...

I didn't know why I didn't gain fat as quickly when I stopped working out so regularly this go around (as I have lifted with P90X, much more than I EVER have). But I didn't and this explains why. I kinda knew, but this formed concepts, words around what I thought I knew.

WOW WOW WOW!

My life was just changed.

BUMP!
  • Kamila02
    Kamila02 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    THank you for this article! I feel skinny fat. I want to be fit. Not sure how to do that....right now I strength train with small weights and a 10lb kettlebell...but maybe that's not enough.
  • tanyawade
    tanyawade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Could someone recommend a good exercise video that would help a "skinny-fat" thirty something get toned and lean?
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    P90x, Jillian Michael's videos....
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks!:drinker:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    The book people like is New Rules of Lifting.

For a good start, guys or girls, starting strength by Mark Rippetoe is the go. Full body workouts 3 times a week that provide most bang for your buck. Compound movements > Isolation movements for beginners (and just about everyone).
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Good article. I am doing Rachel Cosgrove's book "female body breakthrough". She has her own article on skinny fat:

http://www.the-signal.com/section/42/article/42007/

I have to keep reminding myself of these things when I get too focused on the scale. It's hard to let go of the fantasy of being really light, lol
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump :wink:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    great article!
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Practically every person on this website should read this article. Though I do like at the end for the sample workout it contains neither squats or deadlifts, which were mentioned multiple times in the article. This is the work out you need: www.stronglifts.com

I have essentially become skinny-fat and I am now working on curing that problem by following the program I mentioned above.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump