Not doing too well........

Options
Ok well I have paid more attention to what I have been eating and it isn't as bad as it used to be but the scale won't budge and go down. To beat all it went back up so the 2 pounds I lost are already back. I don't want to give up so that is why I am posting now. It is so discouraging and I am really wanting to do this. I have one more Christmas dinner on Christmas Day. I am trying to do better and after Christmas I plan on buckling down hard core and really getting into eating as healthy as I can. This week when we go grocery shopping I am only buying healthy stuff. I already bought some egg beaters and fat free cheese to make my omelets with. Please wish me luck and send encouraging words my way. It always seems to help me out. Oh and I am exercising too!! Can't leave that one out!!

Replies

• renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Ok well I have paid more attention to what I have been eating and it isn't as bad as it used to be but the scale won't budge and go down. To beat all it went back up so the 2 pounds I lost are already back. I don't want to give up so that is why I am posting now. It is so discouraging and I am really wanting to do this. I have one more Christmas dinner on Christmas Day. I am trying to do better and after Christmas I plan on buckling down hard core and really getting into eating as healthy as I can. This week when we go grocery shopping I am only buying healthy stuff. I already bought some egg beaters and fat free cheese to make my omelets with. Please wish me luck and send encouraging words my way. It always seems to help me out. Oh and I am exercising too!! Can't leave that one out!!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can do it Ranae!

Remember when you sit down for dinner.. 65% veggies (not potatoes au gratin), 30 % lean meat (like white meat turkey) and 5% dessert! Tha't how I do it! I visually divide up my plate before I serve myselft, then put the portions within my invisible lines.. I also use a smaller plate if available!

Good luck!

Ileana
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    A lot of factors put "weight" back on our bodies. TOM, sodium intake, etc... Try not to be so discouraged. It'll happen! Just stick to it, drink your water & exercise. It didn't go on overnight, it certainly won't come OFF overnight. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Ok I'll bite...:wink:

Here's the awesome things you're ALREADY doing!!!:drinker: :heart: :drinker:

Feel free to add to the list as you find things that may have been missed! :drinker:
    :heart: Excersising! That is SO super that you're keeping that up..not a small feat during Holiday times!
    :heart: POSTING!!! Keep on posting your lil heart out :heart: ...:flowerforyou: :heart:
    :heart: Asking for Support from your MFP buds!
    :heart: Thinking things thru food wise
    :heart: Planning ahead!
    :heart: Not hiding out (this one is HUGE!!) but knowing this time it's different...not a diet but a lifestyle change!:bigsmile:
    :heart: Already planning your healthy grocery shopping for the week
    :heart: Paying more attention to what you're eating... more so than last year I bet right?

Ok, so there ya go....I got all that from your post....Renae....you ROCK....keep moving forward, don't worry about jumping on the scale this week! In fact...kick it under the bed...2 lbs. like Beansy said...can be due to anything, stress, water weight, your body eating foods it's not used to anymore....who cares gained 2 lbs. over the Holidays...some gain 15 when they aren't paying attention to health.

you'll be fine....keep posting, lleanak has a great idea on portioning the food on the plate... any of the foods we all eat this time of year truly can be had the whole rest of the year if we want them...really....all it is? Wow, just food... we give it WAY WAY WAY to much power in our lives...

Food is to nourish and strenghten our bodies.... taste something yummy....but maybe you can 'taste' not eat the whole piece of fudge? That way if you want to try another treat you can do the 'taste' test on that as well.....

Keep it positive....that can make or break a person anytime of year Hon!:flowerforyou:

We're all here for you.... enjoy the food, don't allow the guilt to smother you because what happens then? We merely turn to food....NOT what we do anymore on MFP right?

Ok, now I'm off to finish packin my gym bag and headin to a couple classes...

Luv ya Girl:smooched: I'm so proud of you!! You CAN DO THIS!!! I know you can....you'll make it thrug just fine:bigsmile:

Remember...have fun, allow no guilt, keep it positive....water water water and MORE WATER:drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    you can do it!
  • gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    Hey there, when I hit that point where the scale wouldn't budge (which is horribly annoying and a good reason to pout) I changed my exercise routine. Like you I was eating what and how much I should, drinking my water, and exercising. So, I started running which is something I would never have chosen to do in a million years. My focus stopped being the scale. I started focusing on whether or not I could run a mile and not die. Not only can I run that mile but the scale has continued to go down. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Hey there, when I hit that point where the scale wouldn't budge (which is horribly annoying and a good reason to pout) I changed my exercise routine. Like you I was eating what and how much I should, drinking my water, and exercising. So, I started running which is something I would never have chosen to do in a million years. My focus stopped being the scale. I started focusing on whether or not I could run a mile and not die. Not only can I run that mile but the scale has continued to go down. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Now that's some pretty great inspiration you've just shared with the rest of us gmpearse:flowerforyou:

Taking our focus off of whatever seems to be holding us up...be it the scale we might be obsessing about etc... wow, that advice can apply to SO many aspects of our journeys!

Glad you posted what you did:drinker: :heart: :drinker:

you starting to run is pretty darn inspirational as well... and you not having died during the experience is even BETTER NEWS!:wink::bigsmile: :noway: :laugh:
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have the same problem... Here's a few thoughts: the scale is not your friend, and, it is just a moment in time. I find it best to weigh myself after my morning exercise and cool down, which is a few hours after i wake up. And - don't weigh yourself too often! Concentrate on exercising - walking, riding a bike, using the stairs at the mall and not the escalator. One trick that works for me is to focus on getting two 30 minute sets of exercise in a day with two different exercises... So instead of thinking I need an "hour" of this, I just think, half an hour... I can do that! And you can too! Good luck - it will come!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You can do it Ranae!

Remember when you sit down for dinner.. 65% veggies (not potatoes au gratin), 30 % lean meat (like white meat turkey) and 5% dessert! Tha't how I do it! I visually divide up my plate before I serve myselft, then put the portions within my invisible lines.. I also use a smaller plate if available!

Good luck!

Ileana

awwwwwwwwwwww Ileana, you have gone and ruined Christmas dinner for me!! I want 1/2 plate of potatoes au gratin!:sad: :sad:

Seriously tho, that is great advise!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Renae, cut yourself a break. You started all of this at the Holiday Season.

This year instead of packing on 10 pounds....you MAINTAINED!!!!!! WOO HOO!!

That is spectacular!!

I spent the 1st month changing my habits. I dont even think I lost 1 pound. I was learning....When you started kindergarten could you spell your name? No, but after a few month RENAE was being written all over your house!! (and hopefully not with a rock on the door of your mommies new car!!)

January is going to come along, and you will be armed with the tools to make this work!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Sometimes I have the same problem... Here's a few thoughts: the scale is not your friend, and, it is just a moment in time. I find it best to weigh myself after my morning exercise and cool down, which is a few hours after i wake up. And - don't weigh yourself too often! Concentrate on exercising - walking, riding a bike, using the stairs at the mall and not the escalator. One trick that works for me is to focus on getting two 30 minute sets of exercise in a day with two different exercises... So instead of thinking I need an "hour" of this, I just think, half an hour... I can do that! And you can too! Good luck - it will come!

Excellent way of thinking on the scale deal... very well put!! I hope many many folks caught up in the scale war see this post!!!! It can get the better of us if we're not careful....being in the grips of the scale is NO FUN NO FUN NO FUN:sad: :bigsmile: :blushing: :drinker:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The fact that you posted your grief and are still going to hang in there and keep trying...HUGE step. You should be proud that you are still here! :flowerforyou:
  • renae77
    Options
    Thank you all for your support but I have another problem! I weighed in this morning and the scale was up 2 pounds!:sad: What kind of crap is that? I just want to cry! I have been doing so much better than I was before and it always seems to look worse. I'm not giving up but it is so hard! I know it's not going to be easy but dang it I want that break! Thank you all again!!! Love you all for your support!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Wow I hope many people read thru this post. Such GREAT advice from everyone, it made me feel better. I hope it works for you as well.

Here's my take...it's the holidays. If you can make it thru by only gaining 2 lbs or even 4 lbs who cares. You are already conscious of the tools you need to lose weight. Your exercising, your eating right, and your changing your habits. All of those things will help those pounds come right back off. Drink your water, listen to your body and you will survive. Don't let guilt and the scale control you.
  • renae77
    Options
    Thank you all for your support but I have another problem! I weighed in this morning and the scale was up 2 pounds!:sad: What kind of crap is that? I just want to cry! I have been doing so much better than I was before and it always seems to look worse. I'm not giving up but it is so hard! I know it's not going to be easy but dang it I want that break! Thank you all again!!! Love you all for your support!!!!!:flowerforyou:

Ok I went to the bathroom (TMI I tknow!) but now it is only up 1 pound! Much better!!:blushing:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Are you using your food diary darlin? I try to do that everyday. I have found if I "meal plan" even a couple hours in advance, then I don't grab for just anything when I am hungry. Also, it is easier for me living alone, to keep the "unhealthy" treats out of my home. Christmas has been a "trainwreck" for me also. It wouldn't surprise me to gain back all the 5 lbs I lost. I am praying hard and trying to stick to it. We'll see I guess. Anyway, my best friends have become a measuring cup and spoons. I keep them ontop of my counter at all times. Remember to eat your exercise calories, and, I think most important, I am learning, is to drink lots of water. Fitness chick drinks half her weight in water and I am doing that as well now. You are not alone though, Ive snacked on m&m's, 2 types of fudge, 3 or 4 glasses of wine. I was stressing much more worrying about "not" eating some goodies so I am enjoying a few. When I return home on Friday, I will be back in my "safe" place and continue on my road to a healthy, fit, lifestyle. Beating ourselves up won't help us, we can just get back on the horse:)

God bless and Merry Christmas sweetie, your pal, denise:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Ok I went to the bathroom (TMI I tknow!) but now it is only up 1 pound! Much better!!:blushing:
    tee hee hee:laugh: :laugh: ahh thanks for sharing!:ohwell: :blushing: :bigsmile: Glad you lost a pound so quickly!!:drinker: :bigsmile: :laugh: :huh:
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    We've all been there! I have the very bad habit of using my scale every morning & my weight fluctuates so much from day to day. Up & down! I try to focus on just one official weigh in (Monday mornings) & go from there. You've really been given some good advice & encouragement that we could all use! Thank you for the great topic & keep strong girl!! We CAN do this!!:bigsmile: