Fitbit Adjustment

Options
MommyMichelle1234
MommyMichelle1234 Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
How can you double check that fitbit is adjusting calories burned accurately during an workout synced from Map My Fitness (synced with mfp, not fitbit).

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Does the workout show in your MFP exercise diary? If yes, go to your Fitbit dashboard and see if it shows an exercise log from MFP.
  • MommyMichelle1234
    Options
    Yes,. But I can't seem to see the breakdown of the negative adjustment.
  • MommyMichelle1234
    Options
    And it looks like its counting steps while I drive.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit solely as a step counter and refuse to link it to MFP. Haven't seen it counting steps for driving but it malfunctions if I wear it on the motorcycle. If it is logging into your exercise diary you should see a corresponding increase in your daily allowed calories.....
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    And it looks like its counting steps while I drive.

You can fix this by logging "driving" on the fitbits exercise log for the time you were driving. Depending on how many it's picking up it might not be worth it. Mine picks up a couple here and there when I drive, but it's not enough to change my calorie burn estimate.

If you want to see the math behind the Fitbit adjustment, clicking the " i " next to where it says Fitbit Calorie Adjustment (on website) should bring up a pop up that shows you the math. If you want to make sure your MapMyFitness workout is logged for the correct time with Fitbit, go to Fitbit's dashboard (website), select log and then activities. Scroll down to under the graph and you should see the start time/duration for the workout.
  • shadow2soul
    edited May 2015
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    I use my fitbit solely as a step counter and refuse to link it to MFP. Haven't seen it counting steps for driving but it malfunctions if I wear it on the motorcycle. If it is logging into your exercise diary you should see a corresponding increase in your daily allowed calories.....
    @dougii
    Actually, you only get more calories if your Fitbit Calorie burn exceeds MFP's estimate (based on daily activity + logged exercise). You can end up with a negative adjustment if you burn less than MFP's estimate (option has to be turned on) or you will get no adjustment.

When I first got mine, I was shocked to discover that I wasn't even active enough for MFP's Sedentary calorie burn (spring 2013). That was a wake up call.
  • MommyMichelle1234
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    dougii wrote: »

Same here. I don't use it as anything other than a step counter. I ignore the calorie burn and just use MFP for that.
  • braveschic2
    braveschic2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if you are using the fitbit to track your exercise, are you suppose to not record the cardio activities you do?
    I have the negative calories adjustment checked on my settings.
  • AmandaPantz87
    AmandaPantz87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else finding that their fitbit is not syncing with MyFitnessPal this evening?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else finding that their fitbit is not syncing with MyFitnessPal this evening?

Fitbit hasn't synced with MFP for me since early afternoon today.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @AmandaPantz87 copied from the mfp page. Yeah I'm having issues too, but it's still adjusting my calories tho, thank goodness, just not my steps.

*Members May Experience Some Steps Issues 5/5-5/7*

May 5, 2015 1:20pm PST

Hello MyFitnessPals,

We are working on tightening some things up on the back end surrounding our Steps feature within the MyFitnessPal program over the next 24-48 hours.  This relates to both integration partners that send steps to MyFitnessPal, and feature that tracks steps directly from the M7/M8 chip within the iPhone.  Some users may experience issues (like duplicated or increased step counts), while others may not see any impact.

We will update this article once everything should be resumed as normal.  Thanks for your patience and understanding while we do these necessary improvements!

Best,

Kelly
    MyFitnessPal Staff

• shadow2soul
    Options
    if you are using the fitbit to track your exercise, are you suppose to not record the cardio activities you do?
    I have the negative calories adjustment checked on my settings.

There's no need to log step based activities. Cycling, Elliptical, etcetera still need to be manually logged.