Do you make your food diary available to the public?

Options
pauljsolie
pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
I've noticed a few users who have made their food diaries available for public viewing. Just wondering how many of you do this, and if not why. I'm thinking about doing this to kind of motivate me to keep eating healthy. Anyone who does make their diaries available, do you ever get comments on what you're eating?

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Mine is public, and I don't really get comments on it.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Mine is public because I want to keep myself accountable. I am 100% honest on my diary because it serves no purpose to lie.

I am/was a secret eater and fooled myself thinking that no one would know about my binges. They did, of course. McDonald's bags in the car and my big ol' butt were two big clues!

I've had a few comments from my MFP friends -- congratulating on good days or commiserating when I've stumbled into a pile of french fries. :laugh:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to friends only. :smile:
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Mine is not public that I know of and the reason is, I tend to eat what ever I want and I don't need people telling me they don't like what I'm eating and that I should eat healthier like my food affects them somehow.
  • camilles
    camilles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think mine is friends only then they can help me keep on track
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Mine's public - go and take a peek. I think it's helpful to me not to be able to hide the things I'm eating :)
  • mariumosman
    mariumosman Posts: 37
    Options
    I have mine public. Originally it was so my HCA from my doctors could see (she's a friend of mine one here). But as I got more friends everyone could see. I don't mind and comments are welcome good or bad, but they're usually encouraging.
    It's a personal choice. You can look at mine, add me as a friend if you want. :smile:
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I don't get a lot of comments on it unless I ask for it, but i find it very useful myself to read other people's diaries. I always see a lot of people who seem to eat only salads.. and then i think it's useful for people to see that if you still eat meat, potatoes and other vegetables, and bread, you can lose weight, too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mine is public, and I sometimes get comments from friends but have never had unsolicited advice from strangers. If this was happening all the time I would probably make it friends only.
    Really though, my diary is mostly for me, but as I like to see other people's diaries from time to time I thought I should share mine too.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I don't care if people see what I eat. I know I eat well, so it's all good. Plus, I like it when my friends comment on what I eat. :)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Mine is public as i figure if someone really wants to look at it, let them. I've never had anyone comment on mine. I eat whatever I want, but I (usually) know not to eat too much, so I stick close to my intake goals.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    YES. This is the singlemost secret to the start of my success here.

Having my diary open means I think twice about what Im eating because I will be telling my friends what I ate and have them critiquing it.

More than once it has meant that I have refused cake with coffee and had an apple or banana instead.

My issue here is portion control and eating control, not inability to train, so this has been the secret of my success.

Now its habit xx
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm going to make mine public, or available to friends first. Friend me if you want. Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Yes, mine is public. I do get comments from my minimns friends on it.
  • eorourke23
    eorourke23 Posts: 56
    Options
    I have mine public and i do recieve comments and tips from mfpals, I also like to look at other diaries to get hints and ideas, fantastic way of loosing weight and keeping motivated, without a word of a lie, this is the longest I have ever stuck to a diet, loving it, add me if you like, love getting new friends,
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Not sure about public, but if you're a member of a site called 'My Fitness Pal' (there's a clue in the title) it seems right to allow friends here to see your diary...
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Mine's public (to MFP members only though I think). I've never had unsolicited comments from people not on my friends list, but I like being able to post a question on the forums and for people to offer help based on my food diary.

I also don't like to receive generic "congratulations" or "well done"s from friends for meeting or being just under my calorie goal, if I've eaten badly to achieve it.
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    Mine isn't public, I know when Im eating healthy or not so I don't need others lecturing me on my habits....which I have seen on other peoples. Just personal choice :)
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Mine is not public that I know of and the reason is, I tend to eat what ever I want and I don't need people telling me they don't like what I'm eating and that I should eat healthier like my food affects them somehow.

Same here. I stay within my calorie allowance 99% of the time but I do allow myself foods I enjoy. My friends can see everything else e.g. exercise completed, weigh in results, whether I stayed under my allowance, but I don't want or need people scrutinising my intake, especially if they look at one day and think that's par for the course.

That's just me though and I'm not really bothered one way or the other whether people make their diaries private or public.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Mine is private because I really don't figure anyone else is interested in seeing what I eat. I mean, if someone asked, I'd probably let them, but I don't really see the point. I keep myself in check just fine.