Juice Fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. What's the advantage of drinking food (which removes fiber) over eating it?
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If we're using documentaries as motivation tools, I suggest "Forks Over Knives" any day of the week. Juicing for me is a fun treat. Like, once a week I like to juice up some fun vegetables. But that's what it is...for fun and something different.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    If we're using documentaries as motivation tools, I suggest "Forks Over Knives" any day of the week. Juicing for me is a fun treat. Like, once a week I like to juice up some fun vegetables. But that's what it is...for fun and something different.

Fun vegetables??? *blinks* Does not compute.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    How about not using any mockumentaries as your motivation, because they are all biased and pushing some agenda?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How about not using any mockumentaries as your motivation, because they are all biased and pushing some agenda?

The alternative is having to vet sources and assess their information ... way too much work when somebody can do what Netflix tells them to.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I like a glass of fresh apple/carrot/celery juice every so often, just like I occasionally enjoy a green smoothie every so often too.

I did see Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and I did attempt, in a half hearted way, to incorporate juicing into my diet every day for two of my 3 meals. It got to be too pricey for one thing, when I was purchasing a lot of green veggies to juice... too labor intensive between washing all the veggies and cleaning up the juicer afterward...and for the third thing, after about a week or two I started to get bored from drinking the juice.

I will say I DID feel good while I was drinking the juices for 2 meals a day. I felt more energized...because I was consuming more nutrients than when I was just eating "whatever." However, I just got annoyed the whole prep and clean up process... I haven't used my juicer in almost a year I bet....

I might whip it out for the summer and have some cucumber-melon refreshers instead of sweet tea... :)
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Juicing is great when incorporated into a healthy and balanced diet but it is not sustainable and will not help you lose weight long term. Once you return to your "normal" eating pattern, the weight will return.

Learning to eat in a healthy manner and in a deficit will get you results weightwise and healthwise. Everyone in my family loved having fresh juice and over the years we had it as a weekend treat. Go easy on the fruit and up the vegetables - it is yummy and a worthwhile addition to your diet.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Fun vegetables??? *blinks* Does not compute.

Shhh...it's how I trick myself.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    After years of juicing, I actually prefer the vegetables. I usually only add one piece of fruit as it is too sweet otherwise.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do a 10 day juice fast every six months. I only juice vegetables, never fruit and drink alkaline water whilst doing it. I love it. But I don't use it to lose weight. I do it because I have a rather complicated metabolic disorder that means eating is sometimes problematic for me. Having said all that; if you are a sugar fiend, or eat a lot of processed foods be prepared for grumpiness, headaches and so forth. I find after I have done it I do lose weight, put it on again eventually but feel great for months afterwards. So go for it if you want, you will miss chewing though. :wink:
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Very badly.

Not a smart move because most people, including one of the film's stars, put it back on again.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-15359/i-was-the-poster-boy-for-weight-loss-then-i-gained-200-pounds.html

It's pretty unsustainable.[/quote

Yes just like so many people here have slipped up and started again. Juicing is not unsustainable, it just takes effort and willpower, the same as tracking your calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I was going to do something like this I'd be blending, not juicing, where all the nutritious parts get thrown away. I'd also be adding some fats and seeds too
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    where all the nutritious parts get thrown away

how does that work ? Some get thrown away for sure, but not all.

• snickers6486
    snickers6486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Juicing is great when incorporated into a healthy and balanced diet but it is not sustainable and will not help you lose weight long term. Once you return to your "normal" eating pattern, the weight will return.

Learning to eat in a healthy manner and in a deficit will get you results weightwise and healthwise. Everyone in my family loved having fresh juice and over the years we had it as a weekend treat. Go easy on the fruit and up the vegetables - it is yummy and a worthwhile addition to your diet.
    I agree with LeenaGee, juicing is a great supplement to overall healthy eating.
    Regarding the fiber removed from juicing the following is from Juicerecipes website:
    " What's the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber?
    Insoluble fiber is the left-over pulp after juicing. Only a small amount of this makes it to your juice. If you were to mix insoluble fiber in a glass of water, it would sink to the bottom, absorb the water and puff up. If you imagine that moving through your body, you can picture what it does for you. It's beneficial to help get things 'moving' and prevents constipation.

Soluble fiber will make it to your juice. Soluble fiber is 'soluble' in water. Soluble fiber (like gums and pectins) will partially dissolve in water and form a type of gel. Soluble fiber absorbs digestive bile made by cholesterol, which creates even more digestive bile, which then helps to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol. Soluble fiber also can help moderate your blood glucose levels because it helps sugar to be more slowly absorbed, which is why some diabetics report juicing to be helpful to them."

In my case I keep the pulp left over from juicing and use it in other food recipes. I even make crackers out of the pulp. I use the crackers as a white bread replacement. They are basically all fiber.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Sorry this is such a late reply but we are renovating at the moment and the house is in chaos and I haven't been on the computer much. Which is perhaps a good thing, as it can be a bit of a time waster sometimes. :p

I have bought a really good cold press Oscar juicer this time and there is very little pulp left over and it is extremely dry so I would imagine its only use would be for fibre. I also have a Nutri Ninja 1000watt blender and that makes the most amazing smoothies.

Christine, I love both smoothies and juicing as I feel there is a place for both of them. On a hot day, there is nothing nicer than a pure juice with crushed ice whereas smoothies are more of a meal and I tend to use them for breakfast when I am in a hurry.