Pregnant

Options
I'm pregnant and have been struggling with the mindset and concept that I'm eating and exercising using to GAIN weight instead of the opposite, which I have always done. I'm also scared of gaining too much too fast out of fear of stretch marks and health issues that could be harmful to baby... Does anyone else have this struggle? What helped you?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You should not be aiming at gaining weight, as in gaining extra fat, if this is what you are asking. You should not be on a very restrictive diet, but unless you start very underweight, the goal should nto be to gain a lot either. It depends on where you start. If for example you start as very obese, not gaining at all or even continuing to lose might be a good plan, so talk to your dr. For a woman in the healthy weight range, the goal is around 12 kilos (26 lbs) on average, and most of this will be baby, amniotic fluid and extra blood volume.
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely speak with your doctor rather than trying to get advice on that here. Good luck to you, hope you have an easy pregnancy. :smile:
  • cjeanme
    cjeanme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agree w aggelikik, you do not need to try to gain weight. The weight gain in pregnancy is baby and amniotic fluid and extra blood. Generally, if you start out in your ideal bmi range, your cals don't go up until 2nd trimester and the increase depends on how many babies you are having. Normally 250-300/baby. Do not restrict calories below 1200/day esp in pregnancy. And focus more on fat loss/maintaining instead of weight loss. Here's a helpful link on this.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/514602-how-to-lose-body-fat-during-pregnancy/#page=1

Also, im newly pregnant also! If you need a health accountability partner, feel free to add me.
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 weeks away from delivery of my 2nd child. I started both about 50lbs overweight and have gained about 50lbs both times. Lost it all the first time. Both pregnancies have been considered healthy though generally speaking if you are at a healthy weight when you get preg a 25-30lb weight gain is considered normal. A pregnant body only needs about 300 more calories a day than a non-preg. But I agree with everyone, talk to your doctor. They will tell you all this too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 weeks away from delivery of my 2nd child. I started both about 50lbs overweight and have gained about 50lbs both times. Lost it all the first time. Both pregnancies have been considered healthy though generally speaking if you are at a healthy weight when you get preg a 25-30lb weight gain is considered normal. A pregnant body only needs about 300 more calories a day than a non-preg. But I agree with everyone, talk to your doctor. They will tell you all this too.

I'd just like to point out 20-30 pounds is on the high end of gain- and you don't need an extra 300 calories for the entire 9 months you're pregnant.

Being pregnant doesn't mean you have to blow up- I think my boss who just gave birth only gained maybe 12-15 pounds- MAYBE.

Never the less. Talk to your doctor. And talk to someone who can help work you through the psychology aspect of pregnancy and weight gain.