Healthy food for my baby

Options
I make all the food for my baby . It takes a lot of time but I think it's healthier . What do you think . 61e7372xa2cp.jpg
iqgk5r7rlrqm.jpg

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think the decision to feed a child homemade baby food and/or commercial baby food is entirely up to the parents and what works best for their family, and is none of my business.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing when my son was little, he was picky and fussy and didn't like the taste of the store bought foods so I had to prepare his at home with the food processor . He would eat store bought oats and rice though, but everything else had to be prepared at home.
    When he got older, he become better at eating what was served and wasn't so fussy anymore. I have no idea if it's really healthier then regular store bought baby foods, but apparently the home made stuff tastes better.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think it's great. :) I never really did commercially prepared baby foods, except custard or fruit as a "dessert." I didn't have anything against prepared per se, and I wasn't afraid of additives or anything, it just seemed like my baby should be eating what I was eating (well, less the horrific binges). Fruits, vegetables, proteins, dairy. I had one of those little hand-crank baby food processors, super-cheap but one lasted per baby. ;)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    With my oldest I did mostly commercial baby food. With my second I did a combo of homemade and commercial. With my third I did mostly homemade, but didn't do much in the way of purees at all. I gave her soft bits of food she could self feed asap. Expecting # 4 soon and plan to skip the commercial stuff and let this baby mostly self feed again. That was definitely easiest, and cheapest. Ripe bananas, avocados, well cooked egg yolks, well cooked ground beef, soft chicken, sweet potatoes, etc. all make great first foods and no major prep work is necessary. I don't start til 6 months, and after just a few weeks baby can have something from virtually any dinner I make. No extra prep, no expensive tiny jars, and best of all, I can eat with my family instead of having to eat in shifts while someone feeds baby.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Is the baby on a diet?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I think the decision to feed a child homemade baby food and/or commercial baby food is entirely up to the parents and what works best for their family, and is none of my business.

This.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I made food for my dd when she was a baby too. I don't think commercial baby foods are unhealthy but sometimes they were much more expensive than just preparing it myself.
    Do what works best for your family.
    This doesn't really pertain to weight loss though does it?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    No, it just looks like a "look at me, I'm SUCH a better mother than anyone who feeds their baby commercial food!" post.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    No, it just looks like a "look at me, I'm SUCH a better mother than anyone who feeds their baby commercial food!" post.

This.
  • lyndsayspoolio
    lyndsayspoolio Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looks great...do you have recipes?
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Word.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

^Yup.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First time parent - sweet

here .. you're on the wrong site

babycenter.com/
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just cooked food for the adults; then smooshed up the same foods for my baby. I didn't do a huge amount of prepping. I'm sure making your own baby food is "healthier" than store-bought food; b/c making food at home for yourself is usually "healthier" than going out to eat. I guess it depends on what you mean by "healthier." It is certainly a lot cheaper.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I just didn't feed my kids solids until they could handle some chunks, I just kept them on the boob 5 EVA. But, good for you for putting in that effort.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm quite jealous of the amount of Tupperware you have.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

I don't think you will be when it's time to do the dishes.

Also, it looks like ketchup and mustard =/
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

My thoughts exactly!
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options

100% this!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Have you come across the idea of Baby Led Weaning? Same homemade benefits if you choose, less prep, mess, and dishes. I used the basic idea with both my kids and liked the convenience of feeding the baby basically what I was eating. I have an awesome video of my then 9 month old enthusiastically gumming a roasted turkey wing then hugging it. Its adorable, gross and hysterical all at once.