Healthy food for my baby

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Congrats on trying to make the food homemade, but why so much of it? do you cook your own food once a month and then freeze it? If not, why do this with a baby? Not only some foods are better (regarding vitamin content) served immediately when prepared (e.g. fruit and vegetables rich in vitamin c) but for many foods it is much easier ot just puree them with a fork than prepare them in huge batches, freeze them, reheat them and so on. And what if the baby's tastes or preference to texture change?
    All this batch baby food making is one of these things that sound awesome for a first time mother, and then make you wonder "why did I do that?" As you can see, I have been there ;) Planning carefully purees etc. Then I realised that just removing from the pot a small portion of our food before salt was added and pureing a few tablespoons, or just using a fork to puree some fresh fruit, was much simpler, less time consuming, probably healthier and preparing baby for real food. I admit it did not look that cute though ;)
    Also, I second baby lead weaning. Much simpler in general.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Congrats on trying to make the food homemade, but why so much of it? do you cook your own food once a month and then freeze it? If not, why do this with a baby? Not only some foods are better (regarding vitamin content) served immediately when prepared (e.g. fruit and vegetables rich in vitamin c) but for many foods it is much easier ot just puree them with a fork than prepare them in huge batches, freeze them, reheat them and so on. And what if the baby's tastes or preference to texture change?
    All this batch baby food making is one of these things that sound awesome for a first time mother, and then make you wonder "why did I do that?" As you can see, I have been there ;) Planning carefully purees etc. Then I realised that just removing from the pot a small portion of our food before salt was added and pureing a few tablespoons, or just using a fork to puree some fresh fruit, was much simpler, less time consuming, probably healthier and preparing baby for real food. I admit it did not look that cute though ;)
    Also, I second baby lead weaning. Much simpler in general.

Haha, even with my small amount of batching and freezing, I've basically ended up with a pile of puréed sweet potato and chicken in the freezer that I'm not gonna use. Stick blender or fork + what we're having most of the time. I'll make some stew every couple weeks to freeze in batches for times we're having something too spicy (works well for the toddler too) but other than that, fresh mashed plus kinda half blw anyway.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I think the main benefit of feeding your kid what you're eating is that they are more likely to develop a taste for your cooking. I had a friend who prepared 2 dinners every night because her kids "wouldn't eat" anything but chicken nuggets, hot dogs, or pizza. (That was a huge amount of projection on her part, though, because when they'd come to my house to play, I refused to make special meals and they ate a variety of foods just fine) I'm too lazy for that shiz. BLW+"here, have what I'm having, just cut up smaller"=lazy mom special.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I fed/feed my three the same food as I eat.

Red meat, rum and ice cream.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of purees. You look very organized :)

We used a mix of jars and smashing up whatever we were feeding. My daughter didn't eat more than a tablespoon of solids a day until about 7.5 months and then I switched her to regular foods pretty quick. I'd steam broccoli and give her a full spear to chew on or cut a peeled peach in half and let her gum it. With meat I'd mince it up.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    First time parent - sweet

here .. you're on the wrong site

babycenter.com/

You might prefer Mothering.com.
  • sarinehatz
    sarinehatz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    With my oldest I did mostly commercial baby food. With my second I did a combo of homemade and commercial. With my third I did mostly homemade, but didn't do much in the way of purees at all. I gave her soft bits of food she could self feed asap. Expecting # 4 soon and plan to skip the commercial stuff and let this baby mostly self feed again. That was definitely easiest, and cheapest. Ripe bananas, avocados, well cooked egg yolks, well cooked ground beef, soft chicken, sweet potatoes, etc. all make great first foods and no major prep work is necessary. I don't start til 6 months, and after just a few weeks baby can have something from virtually any dinner I make. No extra prep, no expensive tiny jars, and best of all, I can eat with my family instead of having to eat in shifts while someone feeds baby.

Thank you this is actually really helpful
  • sarinehatz
    sarinehatz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful comments. Some of you gave me really good ideas and some others were just being negative . I'm not a first time mother and I didn't know we can't discuss our kids health here . Next time I'll ask if I'm allowed to start a discussion about a subject before I do .
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I think the main benefit of feeding your kid what you're eating is that they are more likely to develop a taste for your cooking. I had a friend who prepared 2 dinners every night because her kids "wouldn't eat" anything but chicken nuggets, hot dogs, or pizza. (That was a huge amount of projection on her part, though, because when they'd come to my house to play, I refused to make special meals and they ate a variety of foods just fine) I'm too lazy for that shiz. BLW+"here, have what I'm having, just cut up smaller"=lazy mom special.

I did this too. When they first started solids it was just the veggies, then I added meats etc as time went on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sarinehatz wrote: »
    Thank you for all the helpful comments. Some of you gave me really good ideas and some others were just being negative . I'm not a first time mother and I didn't know we can't discuss our kids health here . Next time I'll ask if I'm allowed to start a discussion about a subject before I do .

It's a weight / fitness site not a look at me parenting site *shrugs*

You made baby food ...good for you ...how does that fit in with "General Diet and Weight Loss Help"

Also exclusive BF to 6 months then baby-led weaning was a big thing
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I think your oversized pictures messed up the thread, making it nearly unreadable without having to scroll back and forth, which personally makes me dizzy.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    sarinehatz wrote: »

It's a weight / fitness site not a look at me parenting site *shrugs*

You made baby food ...good for you ...how does that fit in with "General Diet and Weight Loss Help"

Also exclusive BF to 6 months then baby-led weaning was a big thing

^^^ And this as well!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    What do I think? Babies don't need to eat puree.