Exercises for someone with scoliosis and other back issue.

Options
I have scoliosis and an annular tear in my L5/S1 area of my back as well as bulging/degenerating disks. I would love to work out but I have no idea what to do....Help!!!

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even want to suggest anything with your health problems. Best thing you can do is ask you doctor and get a physiotherapist referral
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor, chiropractor, or physical therapist. My chiropractor gave me some great lifting exercises and helped me monitor my progress.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to a doctor or physiotherapist as already suggested. You may want to ask them about water exercises.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis and an annular tear in my L5/S1 area of my back as well as bulging/degenerating disks. I would love to work out but I have no idea what to do....Help!!!
    star1407 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even want to suggest anything with your health problems. Best thing you can do is ask you doctor and get a physiotherapist referral

This.

I have back issues, but not like yours. I found a water aerobics class specifically designed for people with back issues and it has been the best thing for me. Water is great because you can do exercises in it that are anywhere from no impact to medium impact and the buoyancy helps support you. There are even classes where you put on a flotation belt and do the moves in deep water. My class is done in a warmer therapy pool.

Check with your doctor (my class required a doctor's OK) and see what he/she suggests, but you might want to consider something in water.

• khristymae10
    khristymae10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have two herniated discs, one of them is my L5 and it is also bulging. I would highly recommend a low level yoga to start off with. I was seeing a chiropractor three times a week when i was first diagnosed and then started going to yoga. I have been able to completely take myself off of chiropractor visits because of yoga. Also, short distance walking is another great place to start. Make sure you have excellent shoes that support poor backs. You will find if you start with these two small things you will eventually be able to increase distance and intensity. Good luck!! :D
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My wife has severe scoliosis and has had 3 major spinal surgeries because of it. Her entire spine was fused 10 years ago (exception of the neck); one year ago they removed the hardware; 4 months ago they rasped down spinal bone spurs. Before starting any exercise plan you need to talk to your doctor and get recommendations and approval. My wife currently runs, walks, and I have developed a weight lifting routine for her that works within her limitations (she is not able to use certain machines or get in some positions). I am sure she would be more than happy to talk with you about all of this; her MFP name is: KathiLuk. Best of luck!
  • yarushajimenez411
    yarushajimenez411 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So my friend's mother has scoliosis and she is a gyrotonics instructed. It's a form of Pilates but was specifically created for people with scoliosis. The person who created the exercise had scoliosis and wanted to exercise. Her mom had a great figure. Check it out.
  • yarushajimenez411
    yarushajimenez411 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So my friend's mother has scoliosis and she is a gyrotonics instructed. It's a form of Pilates but was specifically created for people with scoliosis. The person who created the exercise had scoliosis and wanted to exercise. Her mom has a great figure. Check it out.