temptation at work

Options
this week is teacher appreciation week. our PTO has food things planned for the week. Today was chips and salsa, but a parent wanting to show appreciation brought in goodies for teachers of their children. these goodies included chocolate covered Oreos, strawberry cupcakes, snickerdoodle and double chocolate cookies. I overate today and am okay with it however the rest of the week will be the same. any tips on how to avoid the temptation at work?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Eat before they bring every thing or just be committed to just having one cookie. It's still about CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sounds tough. I work in a large office that always has lots and lots of grazing opportunities. I used to be very good at seeking out the free food. More recently, I have learned to just not see it.

A few days ago somebody brought a dozen donuts from one of my favorite donut shops to a meeting (and there were only 3 people in the meeting!) That was kind of tough, especially when they asked me if I would distribute the left-over donuts around the office afterward, but I made it without indulging. In that case, I just had to make a decision from the get-go that I was not going to have a donut. That made the next hour or two easier - I was just following through on a decision that I had already made.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I find looking up things you-know-are-not-good-for-your-goal in the database to see just-how-bad-they-are calorie wise works for me almost every time. I don't want whatever it is after checking, if I even need to check.
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We don't have snacks in our office every day but yesterday they catered a Cinco de Mayo meal of tacos, ice cream and churros. I had two veggie soft tacos and ice cream and enjoyed it all. Of course the last few birthday celebrations I passed on the cake and chose yesterday to treat myself. It's all about choosing your moments.
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tell myself "it's not mine, it doesn't belong to me...so don't touch it" or I tell myself to walk away and pretend it's not even there. The key for me is bringing my own food with me every day and eating it. I also weigh myself daily and if I go up a 1/2 lb, I tend to control myself. If I wait several days to weigh myself it may be a 2 lb gain to deal with. I also want to wear those blue jeans I have been saving.
    Can a suggestion be made to parents that non- edible gifts would be just as appreciated, such as candles, flowers, a plant or pretty printing paper or...a veggie tray?
  • badgermama220
    badgermama220 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I find looking up things you-know-are-not-good-for-your-goal in the database to see just-how-bad-they-are calorie wise works for me almost every time. I don't want whatever it is after checking, if I even need to check.

That is a great idea. I am going to start doing that when I'm tempted!

I'm at the point right now where I don't have a lot of self control, so instead of trying to completely avoid it and then binging later, I let myself have a little bit, log it, and tell myself tomorrow is another day & another chance to do better.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I'm at the point right now where I don't have a lot of self control, so instead of trying to completely avoid it and then binging later, I let myself have a little bit, log it, and tell myself tomorrow is another day & another chance to do better.

In a related fashion, I tend to log my food BEFORE I eat it. When I first started, I would eat then log, and I found I sometimes had "eater's remorse". I would eat, then log, then see something I didn't like in the results. By logging first, I have that last chance to adjust the portions or content before committing.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

In a related fashion, I tend to log my food BEFORE I eat it. When I first started, I would eat then log, and I found I sometimes had "eater's remorse". I would eat, then log, then see something I didn't like in the results. By logging first, I have that last chance to adjust the portions or content before committing.

That is an excellent idea!
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Think I will try logging first. It is hard to log homemade treats that you didn't make yourself. Tomorrow is catered in Olive Garden. I think I will plan ahead! Thanks for the support!
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    walk away. out of sight, out of mind!