Need to stop craving bad food

Options
I'm trying to eat healthy, but all I'm craving is chocolate and bad food what can I eat to nurture this

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Why not just make some room for chocolate?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    there is no bad or good food...just fuel for the body.

What can you eat when craving chocolate...chocolate. I do every night and have for 2 years...hasn't stopped my weight loss. Just make room for it.

And I eat "healthy" hit my macros/micros 97% of the time, eat lots of veggies and fruit, lean meats etc.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I still have the same cravings. I make a chocolate protein shake with a banana and unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    What are bad foods? Why are they bad? Do they have ulterior motives?

Food is food, just an item that contains calories and nutrients, it's not inherently bad or good, it has no feelings towards you, nor does it harbor you any ill will.

If you want chocolate, eat chocolate, eat it within the limits of your daily calorie and macronutrient goals whilst ensuring adequate nutrition from a balance of food sources.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agreed, if you want it, eat it. Justmake room for it. I calculate for having something at dinner or a little snack, I jsut had some chips but caculate it into my day in order to stay within my limits.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are these bad foods???
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

What can you eat when craving chocolate...chocolate. I do every night and have for 2 years...hasn't stopped my weight loss. Just make room for it.

And I eat "healthy" hit my macros/micros 97% of the time, eat lots of veggies and fruit, lean meats etc.

while "good" and "bad" may be stigmatizing labels, I do think that someone who is eating at a deficit needs to prioritize nutrient dense foods so that you can properly fuel your body while eating fewer calories. That said, for me it is important to leave some room for 'empty' calorie foods which satisfy me in other ways (yes, I'm talking to you Mr. Haagen-Dazs Peanut Butter Pie ice cream)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You could try taking a two week break from ALL the hyperpalatable foods you crave and see if that gives you a feeling of control. Then add a couple of your favorites back in, and eat those in moderation.
  • loissuzi21
    loissuzi21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can see what you mean there are no good or bad foods, but It seems I can't get away from the temptation of it, I like the idea of trying to get control of it by not eating "junk" food for a while ! ( tastes to good tho ! Lol ! )
  • ndj1979
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

while "good" and "bad" may be stigmatizing labels, I do think that someone who is eating at a deficit needs to prioritize nutrient dense foods so that you can properly fuel your body while eating fewer calories. That said, for me it is important to leave some room for 'empty' calorie foods which satisfy me in other ways (yes, I'm talking to you Mr. Haagen-Dazs Peanut Butter Pie ice cream)

that is what the poster you are replying to said when she said "hit my macros/micros 97% of the time"....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    "Control" can be achieved without completely eliminating something. It might actual show more control to eat some but not too much. However, if you feel better completely eliminating it, then completely eliminate it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    loissuzi21 wrote: »
    Yeah I can see what you mean there are no good or bad foods, but It seems I can't get away from the temptation of it, I like the idea of trying to get control of it by not eating "junk" food for a while ! ( tastes to good tho ! Lol ! )

First step - get rid of the whole good/bad/junk food mentality. Food is food, and should not have moral values assigned to it.

What you need to do is eat nutrient dense foods like chicken, vegetables, fruits, fish, etc; and then fill in your day with treats that you like. Just make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro goals..

what matters is your overall diet, not an individual food choice here and there...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The idea that something is "bad", for some people, can lead to problematic behavior with the food. You sort of develop a forbidden fruit relationship with it, and when you get to the point where you give in to that voice that says "just one bite won't hurt..." you go ahead and eat the whole box of chocolates.

Then you tell yourself that you "can't" do moderation.

The problem isn't that you can't do moderation, the problem is that you haven't yet developed the mindset for it.

It can be helpful, as was suggested upthread, if you're used to already overeating hyper-palatable foods, to give them up for a few weeks to give your taste buds some time to reset themselves. During that time, reset your thinking as well. Tell yourself that there are no bad foods. And then think about nourishment.

Of course, you want to give nourishing foods a priority in your daily eating, but once you've fulfilled your daily nutrition goals, having some chocolate, or a few cookies is just fine -- as long as they fit within your calorie goals.

Once you tell yourself a food isn't bad, you realize that you can stop with just 2 cookies. Because you can always have 2 more cookies the next day since there's nothing bad about cookies.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat healthy, but all I'm craving is chocolate and bad food what can I eat to nurture this
    Dark chocolate is good for you, I eat plenty of that.
    My idea of healthy is making veggies the main course, and adding in proteins and healthy fats to reach my macro goals. Personally I keep my carbs/sugar low, and fiber high. This has stopped me from having an out-of-proportion appetite, so I can eat at a deficit for bodyfat loss.

• loissuzi21
    loissuzi21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My idea of healthy is making veggies the main course, and adding in proteins and healthy fats to reach my macro goals. Personally I keep my carbs/sugar low, and fiber high. This has stopped me from having an out-of-proportion appetite, so I can eat at a deficit for bodyfat loss.

That's what Iv been trying to keep to, more of a cave man diet ( so Iv been told ) has your diet shown changes ?
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to get out of the bad/good food mindset but try to. Think of bananas for example, they are mostly classed as 'good' food but eat enough and you are going to be ill! Chocolate, many people would say is 'bad' food, but cacao in itself has many beneficial nutrients and eating a good quality chocolate (the higher the cocoa content the better - ideally 70% plus and ensure that sugar isn't the first ingredient) is actually ok - in moderation.
    Moderation is the key word here though. You will find that with a darker, better quality chocolate you won't need much to satisfy you although you may need to 'train' yourself to enjoy the darker stuff.

What you are more likely craving is the addictive sugar that is packed in many chocolate bars. Sugar is approximately 10 times cheaper than cocoa so many companys use it as a bulker so to speak. I think it may be worth you experimenting and finding what suits you - no-one should have to eradicate a food item that they enjoy (especially chocolate, lol)!!!!!

Good luck!

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

That's what Iv been trying to keep to, more of a cave man diet ( so Iv been told ) has your diet shown changes ?
    I don't know that a cave man would be so lucky as to eat this way lol.

But YESSS I have lost over 3% bodyfat since April 4th! I haven't checked my weight in a few days, but last I checked I'd lost 15lbs.
    I'm keeping this up for at least another 3 weeks, probably longer. I love eating this way actually!

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well you can eat it all, but moderation and portion control is the key.
    When you can not control your self i would take a whole other approach

First of all i would weigh ALL my solid food like i do now too.
    I would pre-log every evening what i do now too.

But the difference would be. That after pre-logging i would prepare as much as possible in boxes/Tupperware what ever my portion that i can eat the next day. And tell myself that's it!
    This is all you get for your calories allowed today. And it will have everything i want, healthy or not. Sweets, nuts or chocolate, pizza or salads whatever.
    And yes i would stick to it lol

Remember this
    How much do you want to lose weight, determination and consistency are your biggest friends.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

My advice is to plan your day ahead of time, and make room for that chocolate and "bad food" that you are craving. You can still do this and meet your calorie goals, as well as your macro goals. :)

By the way, there is not good and bad food, just....food.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The only bad foods there are are the ones that have gone rancid. Definitely don't eat those.