What surprises have you found about foods you didn't realize before logging?

Options

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have tried various "fat-free" versions of foods and found that most are not worth the minimal calorie saving for the lack of taste. I have been using 1% milk for years--I don't drink it, just use it on cereal and in cooking, the full fat sour cream has better flavor than the other, butter is infinitely better than margarine, etc. I have started eating more fruit and different veggies. If my husband had his way we would have nothing but canned peas, green beans and corn. Thankfully I like most veggies raw so I can include a wider variety in my diet.
  • hevarrrrr
    hevarrrrr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    that if i eat more veg i can have a tasty snack later and i don't have to worry about calories of it. also that veg make me feel fuller for longer!
  • Jaikagen
    Jaikagen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not food, but that i was drinking away a lot more calories than i thought
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Sodium. I never realized how much sodium I was eating. No wonder I woke up with fat fingers most mornings.
    Me too! Big eye opener.
    And, how much I like the taste of mustard. I only went with it at first to break my bond with Miracle Whip and the enormous calories from that. But just a little mustard can add such flavor!
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would never now treat myself to a cocktail when I go out with friends, they are laden with sugar and calories and for me, just not worth it!

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    crys_todd wrote: »
    An actual half cup of oatmeal is almost 30% more than when I weigh out 40 grams.
    OMG, this!

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    That most processed foods out there are severely lacking in micronutrients.
    That high carb fruits and vegetables have a decent amount of calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That everything has more calories than I thought... even veggies (well, not cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes, which I know, are a fruit, but everything else).

The only thing that shocked me about how few calories they had were caramels. I always thought they were so 'bad for you'... but nope, only like 25 calories each!
  • britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    2 things: 1) Knorr rice sides ( pre packaged...I should have known better) 2) Ken's Honey Mustard. (That was a very disappointing barcode scan!!! )
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Bread, I used to bake my own and our family would eat a loaf in a matter of 1-2 days. I haven't baked any since January, except yeast rolls. I just can't fit a lot of bread into my calorie goals. I do eat a lot of sandwiches but I make them with the light fluffy wheat breads from the grocery and not the dense breads that I like to bake.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    PACO1481 wrote: »
    I decided to focus on building muscle rather than watching the scale.....so for my diet I have to focus on getting enough protein. I was amazed at how hard it is to increase it to where I need it! But I love having something new to focus on, and the perk is that with eating all the protein I don't really want all the carbs I used to eat. :-)

Eat beef steak cook a little extra and have steak and eggs for breakfest one egg and 1/4 cup of egg whites I buy egg whites in a long size carton. Fish mainly salmon, cheese, big thick burgers use extra lean ground beef there are lots of food with protein some a little some a lot
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    crys_todd wrote: »
    Non-fat dairy of any sort is never worth it (milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese). I'd rather have 1 oz of delicious full fat cheese than 1 lb of the non fat stuff. Usually the calorie savings aren't even that much anyway.

Can I get an amen!? Seriously, I will never sacrifice my full fat dairy for low fat or non fat. Just not worth it to me.

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    That two tablespoons of peanut butter is closer to 1 scoop when not weighed. Before I started weighing I was eating closer to 4tablespoons and not even knowing it.

Chips and nuts that say 9 pieces 100 grams (example) is not remotely close to 9! When weighed, it's more like 5 pieces for 100 grams.

And ground turkey and 97% ground beef are actually pretty close in calories and 4ozs of chicken is a lot of chicken!
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    how much sodium in everything.. a big eye opener there
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    - what a serving of cereal or almonds looks like :'(

- that avocado is a worthwhile "upgrade" from mayo (gosh I love mayo though)

• MimiMayRR
    MimiMayRR Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How quickly those little, "meh, an extra splash of milk won't hurt" or, "it's just a tiny piece of chocolate" moments add up. OMG.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eggs! They have so much more cholesterol than I thought!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Bananas. Who knew they were so caloric? Not me. I don't care. I'm eating them anyway. And peanut butter. 190 calories for 2 Tbsp. Don't care. Eating that too. How the heck does the peanut butter and dark chocolate spread only end up being 170 calories for 2 Tbsp? I don't know. Don't care. I'm eating that as well.

I was actually surprised that a tablespoon of peanut butter was as much as it was, volume wise. I was ready for it to seem like nothing, but I find I can spread a tbsp of PB over a piece of toast just fine.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have learned that if you don't weigh your food you have no idea on how much you are eating. That is coming from a person who was measuring food with cups.

There are very few 70 calorie eggs. Almost all of mine weigh closer to 85- 90 calories a piece.

There are trans fats in products you wouldn't expect... I'm looking at you, Raisin Bran! I'm here for my heart health in particular and practically everything I thought I knew is wrong. Lol Better late than never?