100 g of carbs a day

Options
amaliacc
amaliacc Posts: 42 Member
I've heard this from several sources, but how do you manage it? I eat a lot of prepackaged food (please don't judge, I'm a grad student and have very little time), and am wondering if I should use the Atkins line? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest batch cooking on a set time during the week. I used to do Atkins products; there's nothing wrong with them, however their cost started adding up over time.

I eat 30-40g of carbohydrate a day and hardly use packaged items. Hard boiled eggs and cheese cubes come to mind for quick, easy snacking.

But, to answer your question, the Atkins line is fine, make sure you stay hydrated.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason you need to stick to a lower carb diet? If not, it's really of no additional benefit in terms of weight loss. Some people find it easier to stick to, regardless of medical reasons to do it, because the generally accompanying increase in fat helps them feel full for longer, whereas others find it too restrictive. It sounds like you may fall into the latter camp.
  • ThisOrderedLife
    ThisOrderedLife Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat around 50g carbs a day and can get up to 100g if I have had a hard lift/workout. I find that my body really feels better this way but I eat NO packaged foods at all as I cant have preservatives. Its quite easy, cheaping and really doesn't take much time. I am soon to be going back to grad school and honestly think I wil have more time then than I do now as a full time teacher.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    amaliacc wrote: »
    I've heard this from several sources, but how do you manage it? I eat a lot of prepackaged food (please don't judge, I'm a grad student and have very little time), and am wondering if I should use the Atkins line? Any suggestions?

Why do you want to limit your carbs? For weightloss there is no reason to
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are busy and comfortable doing so, it makes sense to use some packaged food. If you buy frozen dinners, include a huge side dish of low calorie fresh or frozen vegetables like green beans, kale, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, asparagus, yellow squash. Make enough so that you can reheat them the next night so that you are eating foods that fit into your plan.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

i'm a grad student (well, i graduate next week) a new father, full time employee at the power company, and a triathlete managing to fit in 5-8 hours a week of training, and i find time to cook and prepare about 90% of my weekly food, plus i manage to go out with friends about once a week.

whats that about not having time?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

i'm a grad student (well, i graduate next week) a new father, full time employee at the power company, and a triathlete managing to fit in 5-8 hours a week of training, and i find time to cook and prepare about 90% of my weekly food.

Well that was supportive

OP-you do not have to limit your carbs. In the nutrition/weight loss world, the more people that tell you to do something the more incorrect it probably is. Eat at a deficit. Eat whatever you want to get there, packaged or otherwise. For weight loss this is all that matters. If I tried to eat less than 100g carbs I think my boyfriend would break up with me and I would have no friends because I would be a cranky lunatic. :smiley:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

i'm a grad student (well, i graduate next week) a new father, full time employee at the power company, and a triathlete managing to fit in 5-8 hours a week of training, and i find time to cook and prepare about 90% of my weekly food.

Well that was supportive

OP-you do not have to limit your carbs. In the nutrition/weight loss world, the more people that tell you to do something the more incorrect it probably is. Eat at a deficit. Eat whatever you want to get there, packaged or otherwise. For weight loss this is all that matters. If I tried to eat less than 100g carbs I think my boyfriend would break up with me and I would have no friends because I would be a cranky lunatic. :smiley:

run2.png
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a low carb diet, about 25-35 grams daily, and I eat mostly home prepared meals. I use the Atkins products to "fill in" where I don't have time to cook, or just want something "different". You can do low carb with or without the Atkins products. However, I believe the Atkins 20 Diet says to eat no more than three of their products daily. You still need to get your non starchy veggies in each day. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

where did you hear this from?

i eat 150+ grams of carbs a day and have no issues..

do you have some kind of medical condition that you did not list in your OP …or are you just doing this because you heard it somewhere..??
  • nurserobin37087
    nurserobin37087 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat 20-30 grams of carbs per day and have no issues with it. I set aside 2 hoiurs on Sunday to get my cooking done for the week. I work full time plus overtime, go to school full time and have kids and a husband. Prepackaged foods have alot of preservatives in them and are not good for you.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 240 grams of carbs and 240 protein at 2400 calories a day. I tried the low carb deal when I started and while it worked it was not something I could see myself doing forever. So I reverse dieted and worked to get my calories increased and balance my carbs and protein.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Is there a reason why you are looking at lowering your carbs? I previously ate at around 100 grams per day until I had lost weight and my PCOS symptoms were under control. It is fairly easy to do when your diet does not center around prepackaged foods. I would find it extremely difficult otherwise.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs between 25-50 nearly every day. I'm not sure what being a grad student entails, but do you have space to batch cook? It would certainly be cheaper. That said, if you truly are set on doing the boxed lunches and such Atkins is a good place to start, and you might try Smart Ones by Weight Watchers. Usually with WW, the lower the points the lower the carbs.

If you want actual support and ideas, and not a million questions about your medical stats, come join us at the low carb group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group