Vegetarians - your favourite dinner party main?

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
edited May 2015 in Recipes
I'm having a few friends over for a dinner party where I'm finally cooking that elusive creature - a Turducken! But one of our friends is vegetarian (who doesn't mind that we're eating 4 animals at once). I want to cook her a lovely meal too. What are your favourite special occasion mains? I'm thinking the kind of thing you would serve at Christmas/Thanksgiving.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would make a badass lasagna. It's something everyone can enjoy too.

My personal recipe includes:
    oven-ready lasagna pasta
    four cheese tomato sauce by classico
    fresh basil leaves
    cherry tomatoes
    garlic
    an egg
    ricotta cheese
    parmesan cheese
    mozzarella cheese
    olive oil

my method;
    mix cheeses and egg with salt and pepper in a large bowl
    on stovetop sautee cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic, and a splash of lemon juice until tomatoes start to blister/burst
    start layering the lasagna
    plain pasta sauce
    pasta sheets
    small dabs of cheese mixture to evenly coat
    cherry tomato mixture
    tomato sauce
    pasta sheet
    etc. until you reach the top. I bake it for like an hour covered and then add parmesan about 10 minutes and remove the foil for browning.

Some other ideas might be; stuffed peppers, warm and hearty veggie soup, a huge Caesar salad, Flatbread with peppers/cheese, Alfredo pasta, pasta salad, finger sandwiches (assortment like egg salad, pb&j, cucumber, etc.).

If you're down with mexican which may be strange accompaniment: Spinach enchiladas, spanish rice and beans, tortilla soup.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    oh, I like the lasagne idea! And the stuffed peppers... cut into pieces, they could be a side for the meat eaters too... I'm doing other sides, like a broccoli bake with parmesan, and garlic and rosemary smashed potatos.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites.... spanakopita, gnocchi with gorganola sauce, or a lasagna like suggested but with a bechamel sauce and spring veggies.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Veggie balls from Wells Vegetarian Thanksgiving (or anything from there, for that matter). They're basically lentil balls and are delicious. This is something I make for thanksgiving/christmas. It's not the least time consuming dish I make, but I really love them. They also smell a lot like stuffing when you're making them.

skinnytaste.com has a really good zucchini enchilada recipe that I sometimes make as a casserole (which makes it a bit easier to assemble)

Falafel (which is by far easier than you think and you can bake it, which makes it take less time than frying)

You could do a pad thai without the chicken (maybe tofu instead?). There's a restaurant near me that makes a killer zucchini noodle pad thai, but there's no reason you can't serve regular rice noodles.

As a vegetarian, I'm generally not picky and am often satisfied with substantial "sides" rather than a real main course especially since I know it's my choice. Others don't always feel that way.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not picky and am often satisfied with substantial "sides" rather than a real main course especially since I know it's my choice. Others don't always feel that way.

I am this way as well. Generally i'll eat something before i go out because i'm used to not being accommodated and i don't like to be a burden. I'm also perfectly happy eating sides/desserts. :)

I actually feel awkward when someone goes out of there way to make something for me ONLY. Like "Oh, Rainbowbow, I made this especially for you!"
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm generally not picky and am often satisfied with substantial "sides" rather than a real main course especially since I know it's my choice. Others don't always feel that way.

I am this way as well. Generally i'll eat something before i go out because i'm used to not being accommodated and i don't like to be a burden. I'm also perfectly happy eating sides/desserts. :)

I actually feel awkward when someone goes out of there way to make something for me ONLY. Like "Oh, Rainbowbow, I made this especially for you!"

I get how it could get awkward. With this group however, I'm the feeder and the vego has made clear she's looking forward to the promised feast :D

I offered to make her a Tofurkey, but she wasn't keen.... :naughty:
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesan, Pasta Salad loaded with veggies, Homemade Spinach and cheese stuffed shells ( you could do Alfredo or tomato sauce), Perogies, Stir Fry, Loaded Baked Potato, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Mac and Cheese Casserole... Mmmmm now I'm hungry.
  • tlharin
    tlharin Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Because you said x-mas/thanksgiving: my mom always roasted little hens with rosemary and served with wild rice, roasted Brussels sprouts, and this amazing orange-and-raisin sauce. I recreated this for my fiancé and his family and they were wowed. I accommodated my vegetarian self by pressing very well some tofu, then rubbing with the same Rosemary, olive oil, s&p as I used on the other folks' holiday chicken. I pan seared my tofu while the fiancé carved their bird, timing worked out great for everyone to eat at the same time and share perfectly appropriate sides. Highly recommended making a raisin-studded orange beurre blanc :) foodie cred awaits!
  • BootCampLola
    BootCampLola Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Coconut Rice & Roasted Butternut or Eggplant baked in tomato base covered with mozzarella
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I am literally addicted to kale and button mushroom curry with cauliflower rice. You can serve it with vegetable spring rolls and naan bread if she is not calorie counting as well.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    OH yes! Almost anything of Indian cuisine. TONS of it is vegetarian and delicious.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Mushroom Wellington is a great 'special occasion' veggie option. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12804/melty-mushroom-wellingtons

The bonus is that it will go great with the other side dishes you are already making.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    This is my family's favorite and I also have made it for dinner parties. Don't skimp on the cheese! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe.html
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    You can also roast double the vegetables and cut down on the pasta.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Enchiladas and there are so many variations, it is hard to mess it up.
    black beans, spinach, and cheese
    Mushroom, onion, pepper, cheese
    Black bean, sweet potato, cheese
    plain cheese...

• Queenmunchy
    Options
    Oh, vegetarian enchiladas! These are the best http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/cheesy-zucchini-enchiladas.html?m=1
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah zuchinni! You could do butternut squash filling.
    Make or buy the sauce...trader joes has some good ones and you can go green or red or half and half for christmas enchiladas!
  • happysuccess
    happysuccess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    - Mushrooms are REALLY satisfying to vegetarians- especially big meaty ones like portobellos. You could do a 'stuffed' mushrooms with garlicky ricotta (if they eat dairy).
    - Tempeh in gravy would be nice over a root veggie mash.
    - You could do a chickenless pot pie (with veggie shortening and stock) filled with yummy veggies including green peas (protein!)
    - shepherd's pie with crumbled tempeh and crispy shallots
    -If you are making stuffing for the others, maybe you could make a portion of it with veggie stock instead of chicken.
    - Some inventive and beautiful salads- like farro with kale and avocado, or orzo with artichoke, olives and feta
    - corn casserole... lots of options! :D

I second the above vegetarians who would rather eat from the communal side dishes than have a separate dish made specially for me alone.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Does she eat fish? A lot of vegetarians do. If so, sole or haddock is always one of my favorites and pretty easy to prepare.

There are always the 'meat analogs' to fall back on- those processed products by Morningstar, Quorn, etc. that look like meat but aren't.

And, of course, any kind of pasta.

If you want something homemade, however, I'm with the vegetarian lasagna idea. You'll probably have the meat eaters drooling over it too.