Calories a day

Options
Hi I was wondering how many calories I should be eating a day I am female, age 27, 5ft 7inchs and weight 108lbs! Any advice would be really appreciated

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    one thread would have sufficed, be patient people will answer.....
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Go to IIFYM.com or Scooby's Workshop and use their TDEE calculator. Just input your activity level etc and it will give you a good idea. Also, MFP allows you to input that information to give you an idea based on what you want to do -- lose, gain, or maintain -- but it's not considered as accurate. Once you get that number then you have to actually adjust your number based on personal observations since it's only an estimate. If you are trying to lose and you can't then you'll have to adjust your calories downward and if you are trying to gain then you'll have to adjust up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you gaining or maintaining …because you have posts here and in the maintaining thread…

Like wheel said, go to one of the calculators and see what number they give you and then you will have to adjust it based on trial and error.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    108 lbs is too thin for 5'7"!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up for you and it says your healthy weight is 143 lbs. 127 is the minimum for your height and age.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    niamh211 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering how many calories I should be eating a day I am female, age 27, 5ft 7inchs and weight 108lbs! Any advice would be really appreciated

At that height and weight...ALL OF THEM!
  • niamh211
    niamh211 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    one thread would have sufficed, be patient people will answer.....
    Sorry
  • niamh211
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »
    I just looked it up for you and it says your healthy weight is 143 lbs. 127 is the minimum for your height and age.

So how many calories would I need to gain
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
  • niamh211
    Options

That would def b wrong for me to gain weight
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Onesnap wrote: »
    108 lbs is too thin for 5'7"!
    This is really unnecessary. She's in the gaining forum, so she likely already knows that she's underweight. We don't go into the General forum and post "X lbs is too fat for (whatever height)", do we?

• AliceDark
    Options
    OP, go to this site: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. Depending on your activity level, you'd expect to start a healthy rate of gain somewhere between 1800 and 2300 calories per day, maybe more.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Go to IIFYM.com or Scooby's Workshop and use their TDEE calculator. Just input your activity level etc and it will give you a good idea. Also, MFP allows you to input that information to give you an idea based on what you want to do -- lose, gain, or maintain -- but it's not considered as accurate. Once you get that number then you have to actually adjust your number based on personal observations since it's only an estimate. If you are trying to lose and you can't then you'll have to adjust your calories downward and if you are trying to gain then you'll have to adjust up.

this would be the best path. Once you get your TDEE, you can choose options in the calculator to add calories based on how you want to gain.
  • niamh211
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, go to this site: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. Depending on your activity level, you'd expect to start a healthy rate of gain somewhere between 1800 and 2300 calories per day, maybe more.

I burn between 300/400 through exercise so would I need to be eating this back? Would 2000 be enough to gain then?
  • AliceDark
    Options
    The Scooby's site uses a method of calculating your target that factors in your weekly average exercise, so you wouldn't eat back your calories if you use it to find your target. If you want to use the eat-back method, change your MFP settings to gain 0.5 pounds per week and do what it tells you to do. I don't have enough information to tell you whether 2000 calories are enough to gain; I gave you a ballpark based on what Scooby's said when I plugged in some of your information.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you know this how? YOu came in and asked how many calories, but you already know how many calories you needed????
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I burn between 300/400 through exercise so would I need to be eating this back? Would 2000 be enough to gain then?

TDEE calculators are for all activities for the week so you wouldn't need to eat back since they should be included. However, take the numbers with a grain of salt and adjust accordingly so if you find that after a couple weeks you aren't gaining then up your calories by 100 per day and monitor for another week or two and repeat until you start moving.
  • niamh211
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you know this how? YOu came in and asked how many calories, but you already know how many calories you needed????

It just seems very low! And I was losing weight on 1800 before
  • niamh211
    Options
    The Scooby's site uses a method of calculating your target that factors in your weekly average exercise, so you wouldn't eat back your calories if you use it to find your target. If you want to use the eat-back method, change your MFP settings to gain 0.5 pounds per week and do what it tells you to do. I don't have enough information to tell you whether 2000 calories are enough to gain; I gave you a ballpark based on what Scooby's said when I plugged in some of your information.

When I use the scoobys website do I chose clean bulk for weight gain as there is no category that actually says weight gain
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

At that height and weight...ALL OF THEM!

Going w/ this answer :wink: