Weight loss tips, Am I doing it all wrong?

Options
i have been on a good portioned eating plan for two plus weeks, and going to the gym a minimum of three days a week. I'm tracking on MFP daily but I'm not getting anywhere. I have a huge lack of energy even after working out, and feel like I am bigger than before. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hiya, how many cals a day are you having? Are you weighing your food? Are you drinking plenty of water?
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    You're probably under estimating how much you're actually eating. You might need to cut down some.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    i have been on a good portioned eating plan for two plus weeks, and going to the gym a minimum of three days a week. I'm tracking on MFP daily but I'm not getting anywhere. I have a huge lack of energy even after working out, and feel like I am bigger than before. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

What is "a good portioned eating plan?" Did MFP give you a calorie goal, are you logging everything, weighing and measuring your food?

• JennArnold18
    JennArnold18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything, down to the amount of sugar I put in my tea
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Weigh solids, measure liquids. Can you open your diary?
  • JennArnold18
    Options
    I drink about two to three Gatorade bottles filled with water. I do not weigh my food I go off of the portions and calories. My daily calories allowed on MFP is 1500
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are clearly under estimating those portions. If you're not weighing or measuring that can be easy to do.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I drink about two to three Gatorade bottles filled with water. I do not weigh my food I go off of the portions and calories. My daily calories allowed on MFP is 1500

Until you start weighing, you really don't know how much you are eating. Portions can be shocking...
  • JennArnold18
    Options
    I go by like if the package says one cup I use one cup. I don't weigh chicken or anything tho
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Again, you need to weigh your foods. You asked if you are doing something wrong...the answer is "yes, you aren't weighing your foods".
  • JennArnold18
    Options
    How do I start weighing foods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How do I start weighing foods.

Buy a scale. Put foods on the scale.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Buy a food scale from WalMart, Target, Amazon...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    buy a digital food scale. Put plate on it...turn it on. Add food. food weighed.

It really is that simple. I have been using one for 2 years...it has a zero function so I can actually put my plate on it and zero it out add my protein, zero it out add my veggies/starches etc.

I log 123 grams of chicken if that is what the scale said.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Also, it might sound tedious and unnecessary to weigh, and for some, it probably is, but it really doesn't take that much more time that not weighing your food once you get the hang of it. It might add 2 minutes to my entire meal prep from start to plating.
  • JennArnold18
    Options
    Ok so I'm not an idiot I know how to weight something. Thanks for the sarcastic answers. I'm talking about how much of what am I supposed to eat. It's all good and well to put a piece of chicken on a scale see it weight and go ok cool. What now. I'm actually looking for some help here...
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Jenn, I know it sounds silly to have to weigh your foods. I wasn't a believer until I watched this. I got a decent food scale from Amazon, and it has been an eye opener. The baked sweet potato I eat a couple times a week is closer to 200 grams than 100. Chicken, fish, ground beef, etc. that I used to eyeball was all off. A food scale will help you be much more accurate with your logging. Good luck!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • JennArnold18
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    Jenn, I know it sounds silly to have to weigh your foods. I wasn't a believer until I watched this. I got a decent food scale from Amazon, and it has been an eye opener. The baked sweet potato I eat a couple times a week is closer to 200 grams than 100. Chicken, fish, ground beef, etc. that I used to eyeball was all off. A food scale will help you be much more accurate with your logging. Good luck!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Thank you very much for actually being helpful.