Looking into hiring a personal trainer

Options
faely
faely Posts: 144 Member
Sorry if this isn't the right board.

I am looking for a personal trainer in Oregon, on the west side of Portland area, that has experience working with extrememly obese clients.

Does anyone know of any they would recommend or where I could find such a listing? Google wasn't much help.

What types of questions should I be asking besides "How much $?"

Replies

• LinzNicholeV
    LinzNicholeV Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer to this because I'm also thinking of working with a trainer. Good luck on your journey!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a personal trainer can be money well spent, but if you are extremely obese, then i think that you can save the money and just start going for walks on your own. if you are extremely obese, there is not much that you can do with a personal trainer. sure, they might give you some body weight exercises to do, maybe help motivate you a bit, hold you accountable, but it's nothing that you really can't do yourself.

google "beginner body weight circuit" and plenty of good site should come up. one from nerd fitness is my favorite.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so it may be different. Find out the industry norm and make sure they are trained to that level. They should interview you and the quality of that interview should give you an idea if they are for you. They should be telling you what they have to offer. Once you know all this you can decide if that is for you.
  • faely
    Options
    a personal trainer can be money well spent, but if you are extremely obese, then i think that you can save the money and just start going for walks on your own. if you are extremely obese, there is not much that you can do with a personal trainer. sure, they might give you some body weight exercises to do, maybe help motivate you a bit, hold you accountable, but it's nothing that you really can't do yourself.

google "beginner body weight circuit" and plenty of good site should come up. one from nerd fitness is my favorite.

It's the motivation and being held accountable that I really need. I feel like I need someone there with me, in my face, making me do things on a consistent basis. Maybe that's just an excuse I am using, I don't know.

I have lost some weight with body weight exercises and I walk every day but for some reason I am not enough when it comes to being my own cheerleader and holding myself accountable. I do better when I am expected to be somewhere or be with someone. I don't know why.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    faely wrote: »

It's the motivation and being held accountable that I really need. I feel like I need someone there with me, in my face, making me do things on a consistent basis. Maybe that's just an excuse I am using, I don't know.

I have lost some weight with body weight exercises and I walk every day but for some reason I am not enough when it comes to being my own cheerleader and holding myself accountable. I do better when I am expected to be somewhere or be with someone. I don't know why.

it's tough right now, because you are trying to look at the end result and seeing a really long road ahead of you.

it sucks. there is nothing else to really say about it.

but trust me, from a guy that had a personal trainer, if dedication isn't there, then you will cancel on the trainer just as easily as you cancel on yourself. and i wasn't even obese or anything when i had the trainer... i was just tired!

join a gym if you really want to spend some money. make it a game. "the gym costs me $60 a month, so if i go twice a week thats $7.50 a session" or whatever.
  • JessicasGold
    JessicasGold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally suggest getting an accountability partner! Someone who will work out with you x amount of times per week and you can keep each other motivated!
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    to be honest, everything you need to know about working out you can learn on your own (the internet!) unless it's a very specific activity, then hire a personal trainer.

for example, youtube is a great tool to look at workouts, look at proper form and understand how exercises work to your benefit. WRITE DOWN your workouts on a piece of paper and take that with you to the gym. use that as your "trainer". go with a gym buddy; keep yourselves accountable. getting a personal trainer just to show you around the gym or give you stuff to work on is wasting your money, IMO. staying healthy and fit is all about knowledge - take the time to learn how exercise/good food benefit your body; the more you learn/understand fitness, the better you'll be in the long run.

i have a personal trainer but it's for muay thai. there is NO WAY i could learn that on my own so i hired my friend to train me in muay thai but i would never hire someone to show me how to workout ie. gym/weights etc.
  • tiastahl
    tiastahl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i have a trainer at my local YMCA that i love. I know how to lift weights and do cardio, but i love the extra push from her. She comes up with new workouts to keep me from getting board and makes me lift more than i would on my own. I really like the motivation she provides.

If they have trainers at your gym, talk to someone on staff about what the different people are like. let them know what you are looking for, then see if you can set up a trial with a couple of them. I like supportive trainers, but some people prefer the drill sergeant type. Are they into power lifting or cardio circuits? Early morning work outs or afternoons only. You have to know what you want before you can look for the right trainer for you.
  • faely
    Options
    I totally suggest getting an accountability partner! Someone who will work out with you x amount of times per week and you can keep each other motivated!

Thank you :)

It is definitely about an accountability person and workout partner. I don't have one nor do I have anyone that could be one. Perhaps PT isn't the right way to get one but it was my first thought :)
  • faely
    Options
    kpodaru wrote: »
    to be honest, everything you need to know about working out you can learn on your own (the internet!) unless it's a very specific activity, then hire a personal trainer.

for example, youtube is a great tool to look at workouts, look at proper form and understand how exercises work to your benefit. WRITE DOWN your workouts on a piece of paper and take that with you to the gym. use that as your "trainer". go with a gym buddy; keep yourselves accountable. getting a personal trainer just to show you around the gym or give you stuff to work on is wasting your money, IMO. staying healthy and fit is all about knowledge - take the time to learn how exercise/good food benefit your body; the more you learn/understand fitness, the better you'll be in the long run.

i have a personal trainer but it's for muay thai. there is NO WAY i could learn that on my own so i hired my friend to train me in muay thai but i would never hire someone to show me how to workout ie. gym/weights etc.

It is not about knowledge. I have that, and plenty of it. The knowledge isn't enough. Similar to people knowing smoking isn't good for them but they do it anyway. I know the benefits and processes and workouts and nutrition. It is about accountability to someone besides me because that doesn't seem to be enough to keep me going long term.
  • faely
    Options
    tiastahl wrote: »
    i have a trainer at my local YMCA that i love. I know how to lift weights and do cardio, but i love the extra push from her. She comes up with new workouts to keep me from getting board and makes me lift more than i would on my own. I really like the motivation she provides.

If they have trainers at your gym, talk to someone on staff about what the different people are like. let them know what you are looking for, then see if you can set up a trial with a couple of them. I like supportive trainers, but some people prefer the drill sergeant type. Are they into power lifting or cardio circuits? Early morning work outs or afternoons only. You have to know what you want before you can look for the right trainer for you.

Thank you! This is helpful. :)

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started my journey with a trainer 3x a week. A year and a half later I work with my trainer 3-4 times a month for new routines and to make sure my form is good. I am down 53 pounds and six sizes. For me, it was the push and encouragement I needed. In that time I have researched the Internet and have read a couple of books to tweak my program. I sat down with my trainer yesterday and he was able to look at the routines I found and adjusted them to fit my specific needs. For my peace of mind and safety I will always turn to a licensed trainer for guidance.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a personal trainer for 18 months. My first trainer was a tremendous motivator for me -- always knowing when to push me to give just that little bit more -- and knowing when I really had no more to give. She worked with me to make some major dietary tweaks. I worked with her for just over a year. I started with my new trainer in January. He brings a new perspective and he's trained in nutrition so he's helped me put together an eating plan that works for me. For me, It's the accountability and encouragement that they provide -- and definitely worth every single penny. I'm down 45 lbs and 3 sizes. I started this journey at a size 22 (almost 24) and am now a solid 14/16 and wearing size 16 pants.