Dad Bod...enough said

Options
2»

Replies

• upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think that the original article, and this video response represent extreme ends of the spectrum. Both miss the boat.

The article and many of the commenters stereotype men who are in shape, who lift, etc. This video response seems like they took personal offense to it.

This I completely agree with. The males in my family that are dads do no look like Seth Rogen in the least, treat their women like queens, but push that extra mile to balance life, kids and gym. That's why I agree with the video because (if you actually watched the whole video) both men admit that one of them is too extreme and the other is a work in progress but the label of "dad bod" is an insult to dads who are great dads the are great athletes as well,

I watched the whole video and while he does say that, he also says that there are "two women that wouldn't find him attractive."

I agree that it is flawed to think that the 'dad-bod' is most desired. I also think that a rebuttal like this is useless when your defense is based on opinion and shaming towards 'soft-bodied' individuals. Luckily, I'm a little of both. My arms and shoulders are hard AF and my belly is soft. I get ALL women!

It wasn't a rebuttal. It was affirming that both sides are in the extreme and I can identify why the response to dad bod was somewhat deserved. Don't get me wrong, like you just said, there are "soft bodied" individuals like yourself who do get women (when I was out of shape it was no different) but to label "dad bod" is stupid.

To say it was deserved means that there is merit in what these guys are saying. I would say that if they were more rational, and reasoned instead of hot-headed and insulting, they would have been able to get valid points accross.

Instead any valid points get lost in their own ego, and putting everyone down.

There is probably a response that needs to be presented to the "dad bod" thing, but this is not it.

Not all arguments need to fit sensibilities to be any more valid that one another (coming from the family I do, sometimes I can throw a bunch of diverse thesaurus backed argument, other times there a bunch of m***** f****** in there. Doesn't make one argument more valid than the other because you have to listen to grasp and think of other world views. That's a true sense of gathering right and wrong or equal). The whole dad bod thing was off putting. I would think the whole part of the argument saying "you know what you are getting. The same body at 22 is the same you are going to have at 45..." Should be more insulting that someone pointing out your pudge because the "dad bod" mantra eludes that the dad bod guy is not capable of changing his physique because he isn't doing anything now. But hey, it sounds more intelligent so she makes the better point....smh
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I think that the original article, and this video response represent extreme ends of the spectrum. Both miss the boat.

The article and many of the commenters stereotype men who are in shape, who lift, etc. This video response seems like they took personal offense to it.

This I completely agree with. The males in my family that are dads do no look like Seth Rogen in the least, treat their women like queens, but push that extra mile to balance life, kids and gym. That's why I agree with the video because (if you actually watched the whole video) both men admit that one of them is too extreme and the other is a work in progress but the label of "dad bod" is an insult to dads who are great dads the are great athletes as well,

I watched the whole video and while he does say that, he also says that there are "two women that wouldn't find him attractive."

I agree that it is flawed to think that the 'dad-bod' is most desired. I also think that a rebuttal like this is useless when your defense is based on opinion and shaming towards 'soft-bodied' individuals. Luckily, I'm a little of both. My arms and shoulders are hard AF and my belly is soft. I get ALL women!

It wasn't a rebuttal. It was affirming that both sides are in the extreme and I can identify why the response to dad bod was somewhat deserved. Don't get me wrong, like you just said, there are "soft bodied" individuals like yourself who do get women (when I was out of shape it was no different) but to label "dad bod" is stupid.

To say it was deserved means that there is merit in what these guys are saying. I would say that if they were more rational, and reasoned instead of hot-headed and insulting, they would have been able to get valid points accross.

There is probably a response that needs to be presented to the "dad bod" thing, but this is not it.

Not all arguments need to fit sensibilities to be any more valid that one another (coming from the family I do, sometimes I can throw a bunch of diverse thesaurus backed argument, other times there a bunch of m***** f****** in there. Doesn't make one argument more valid than the other because you have to listen to grasp and think of other world views. That's a true sense of gathering right and wrong or equal). The whole dad bod thing was off putting. I would think the whole part of the argument saying "you know what you are getting. The same body at 22 is the same you are going to have at 45..." Should be more insulting that someone pointing out your pudge because the "dad bod" mantra eludes that the dad bod guy is not capable of changing his physique because he isn't doing anything now. But hey, it sounds more intelligent so she makes the better point....smh

re-read what I said. I didn't say it was invalid. I said that valid points got lost in the presentation. As a professional in the field of communication, if you want to get your point across, it must be done in a way where people feel receptive. If you attack people out of the gate, they will not feel receptive. You will find more people don't watch the entire video because the presentation is flawed.

i can't continue a conversation here if you are going to misrepresent my position, and put words in my mouth. I haven't commented at all on the original article, because, as I stated, I haven't read it. I didn't say she makes any points, let alone "better" points.

I also didn't say anything about intelligence, or sounding intelligent.

These guys start off by insulting guys who don't look like them, and women. By doing this, they immediately put up a barrier to whatever message they are trying to convey. They have given neither group a reason to continue listening.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Whenever some dude says "women are attracted to ..." you know you're in for it. I'm sure these guys are experts on women's psychology - in between reps, of course.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

re-read what I said. I didn't say it was invalid. I said that valid points got lost in the presentation. As a professional in the field of communication, if you want to get your point across, it must be done in a way where people feel receptive. If you attack people out of the gate, they will not feel receptive. You will find more people don't watch the entire video because the presentation is flawed.

i can't continue a conversation here if you are going to misrepresent my position, and put words in my mouth. I haven't commented at all on the original article, because, as I stated, I haven't read it. I didn't say she makes any points, let alone "better" points.

I also didn't say anything about intelligence, or sounding intelligent.

These guys start off by insulting guys who don't look like them, and women. By doing this, they immediately put up a barrier to whatever message they are trying to convey. They have given neither group a reason to continue listening.

And I can't continue a conversation with a person who claims to made it to 3 minutes when up until 3 minutes talked about how they read the article, mentioned bodybuilders and trainers who were dads and then said "women who need validation look for guys less attractive to get validation." Now if you are insulted by that point, then I am sorry but if you are a woman who NEEDS validation or think your girlfriend chose you because she needs validation and treats him like a lesser person because she feels superior, then you have a whole boat load of different issues. That's what brought the term beta, someone who doesn't take charge, speak up, have a backbone, gets walked over and as they put it "soft all around" mentally and physically (yea that's about up to 3 minutes and 15 seconds)
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    L.O.L
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I never saw the original "Dad bod" article, and never hear the term until yesterday, so I can't comment on it (I'm not sure I even want to see it).

This video does seem like they took it personally. Which is odd seeing as they proclaim to be ALPHA... you'd think that would encompass not being thin skinned.

Not sure if this is the "original", but this is the one that I saw posted multiple times.

http://theodysseyonline.com/clemson/dad-bod/97484

It's written by a college girl who graduates in 17'

Saw a few others with ridiculous stereotypical Facebook comments as well.

This article is ridiculous.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I might point out that the article was written by an 18 year old college student, that isn't even majoring in journalism or anything of the sort. Her intention wasn't for it to make it past normal reach of the publication. She just needed a topic and this was an inside joke between her and her other college aged friends.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I might point out that the article was written by an 18 year old college student, that isn't even majoring in journalism or anything of the sort. Her intention wasn't for it to make it past normal reach of the publication. She just needed a topic and this was an inside joke between her and her other college aged friends.

That's all fine and dandy, but the comments still point out the negative stereotypes associated with those individuals with above average physiques. There are people that really do think that way.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

That's all fine and dandy, but the comments still point out the negative stereotypes associated with those individuals with above average physiques. There are people that really do think that way.

read the facebook comments below the article. Now that is a show.

• TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My thoughts? There was a lot of projection in that video. This subject really isn't worth getting that worked up over. "Soft" people are not inherently better than fit people, and fit people are not inherently better than than the unfit. Individual men and women have their own individual preferences. Yes, there are certain physical traits that a greater percentage of people find desirable. However, most people are not so rigid they are incapable of ever liking anything else. Can we stop generalizing now and finally accept that different people are well, different?
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

read the facebook comments below the article. Now that is a show.

Ha I just read a bunch of those, they're nuts!

• burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    I'm a grandpa and I'm still in decent shape... So...
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I dunno about the dad bod thing, but those two dudes are distinctly not attractive to me.... they seem like loud aggressive jerks who are threatened by the very idea that anyone might prefer any body type other than theirs.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options

Not able to see your penis. :lol:

I plan to read those comments later today.

Really though If I was so big and not able to see my penis looking down. I would turn my weight around so quick.

Also is the titty dance something hard? I can even do that and I have my fat than muscle in my chest. I notice it withing the first year of consistent bench pressing. I did not have to bench a lot to do the titty dance.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I couldn't make it through the video.

All I know is I would love to make it to "dad bod". I don't think I've had "dad bod" since I was 18.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I couldn't make it through the video.

All I know is I would love to make it to "dad bod". I don't think I've had "dad bod" since I was 18.

cliff notes.

He tried to say I understand what dad bod is now. He said these guy with dad bods don't play with there kids.

I think the place he went to was something of skyzone. Its a indoor trampoline park. I have been once and there was a version of slam ball. It is fun but he was seeing all these parents not watching there kids so he makes an assumption.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,551 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    1dfsv9pumw3g.jpg
    Bad hair cause of Covid but getting back into shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png