night eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• maryjane28
    maryjane28 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. But log it.
    I run my diary by time of the day. If I go out with friends, DD and grab myself something to eat while we're somewhere at 2am, you can bet I'm logging it and working it into my calories/macros for the day.
    Meal timing doesn't matter, caloric deficit does.

see i would really like to believe this, but if you wake up in the middle of the night eat and lay back down it causes digestion issues (for me anyways) and like obviously im not gonna save all my calories so i can eat when im barely awake in the middle of the night by myself thats weird I wanna be able to eat normal and not have to worry about it so much
  • maryjane28
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    I do the same thing, so lately I've started leaving a little dish of almonds on the counter for myself. Having it right there staring me in the face as I pass through the kitchen at 2 a.m. to head to the bathroom has greatly cut down on my cookie consumption. As a bonus, I usually am not hungry for breakfast after the almonds, so it evens out.
    I tried this and i feel like its almost giving m,yself the green light
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    maryjane28 wrote: »
    like waking up in the middle of the night half asleep

I found when I do this it's because I'm usually stressed about other issues.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I run my diary by time of the day. If I go out with friends, DD and grab myself something to eat while we're somewhere at 2am, you can bet I'm logging it and working it into my calories/macros for the day.

see i would really like to believe this, but if you wake up in the middle of the night eat and lay back down it causes digestion issues (for me anyways) and like obviously im not gonna save all my calories so i can eat when im barely awake in the middle of the night by myself thats weird I wanna be able to eat normal and not have to worry about it so much

Most people when they eat in the middle of the night don't exactly get up and make themselves a three course meal; maybe set out better choices you can make that won't cause you indigestion.

Honestly, if I'm hungry in the middle of the night, I make myself something small - could be a granola bar, drinking a glass of milk, eating a toasted english muffin with peanut butter (AKA something around 150-250 cals) etc - which I don't find to be enough to cause indigestion.

To each their own, but you're the one who asked for advice and your childish, mean spirited, no punctuation answers are kind of ridiculous. You asked for advice, you got it. Didn't like it? Don't follow it.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for years. I wake up between sleep cycles and typically want something sweet. Sometimes in the past, I would wake up and eat 2-3 times a night. Terrible habit, which leaves me feeling unrested. If there is chocolate in the house, I will go for that and milk. Easy way to blast through 400cals without even really enjoying it.

It's not for everyone but I just don't keep chocolate in the house and if it's there, I know I will eat it in the middle of the night. When I wake up, I just go for the milk. I tried water thinking I might just be thirsty but it doesn't satisfy and I wouldn't go back to sleep. I tried a protein shake before bed, as I was advised that it might keep me full through the night but it didn't work.

I keep a section in my diary titled, Night Time Eating and I log for the next day so that I know what I have to work with. If it's just milk, it's only a couple hundred cals and I can totally work with that.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a snack before going to sleep? If not, maybe you can schedule a couple of hundred calories toward it. I need to take medication before I go to bed, so I always schedule a cup of mint tea, which relaxes me, and a snack such as a hard-boiled egg, a 100-calorie bag of popcorn, a small bowl of ice cream, or a Snack Pack pudding.
  • maryjane28
    Options

Most people when they eat in the middle of the night don't exactly get up and make themselves a three course meal; maybe set out better choices you can make that won't cause you indigestion.

Honestly, if I'm hungry in the middle of the night, I make myself something small - could be a granola bar, drinking a glass of milk, eating a toasted english muffin with peanut butter (AKA something around 150-250 cals) etc - which I don't find to be enough to cause indigestion.

To each their own, but you're the one who asked for advice and your childish, mean spirited, no punctuation answers are kind of ridiculous. You asked for advice, you got it. Didn't like it? Don't follow it.
    ok sorry thats true however i am not sorry about my punctuation deal?
  • maryjane28
    Options
    I've been doing this for years. I wake up between sleep cycles and typically want something sweet. Sometimes in the past, I would wake up and eat 2-3 times a night. Terrible habit, which leaves me feeling unrested. If there is chocolate in the house, I will go for that and milk. Easy way to blast through 400cals without even really enjoying it.

It's not for everyone but I just don't keep chocolate in the house and if it's there, I know I will eat it in the middle of the night. When I wake up, I just go for the milk. I tried water thinking I might just be thirsty but it doesn't satisfy and I wouldn't go back to sleep. I tried a protein shake before bed, as I was advised that it might keep me full through the night but it didn't work.

I keep a section in my diary titled, Night Time Eating and I log for the next day so that I know what I have to work with. If it's just milk, it's only a couple hundred cals and I can totally work with that.

This is exactly like what I do. I want to know why I am doing it so I can stop. I think i'm really sensitive to sugar and maybe cutting it out anytime before a couple of hours even from fruit, caffeine stuff like that I think it may be really sensitive to it ...do you notice a difference in your sleep when you watch those things? Because if I just slept through the night it'd be fine, like so many people do. To lay down go to sleep and wake up the next day would be nice.
  • maryjane28
    Options

ok sorry thats true however i am not sorry about my punctuation deal?
    lol @ how bad the punctuation was in that sentance
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am awake a lot in the night due to my disability and I get hungry. Now I leave out a snack a jack that I can grab on my way out to the garden to go for a cigarette. If you're not familiar with them, they are flavoured rice cakes. I save 40 cals so I can have one
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else, if it fits your macros and calories, who cares.

Remember, unlike what some broscience out there says, there are no magical fat fairies that come and turn food you eat before (or after bed:) automatically into fat.
  • maryjane28
    Options
    syndeo wrote: »
    I'm with everyone else, if it fits your macros and calories, who cares.

Remember, unlike what some broscience out there says, there are no magical fat fairies that come and turn food you eat before (or after bed:) automatically into fat.

but it can mess up your digestion
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

for WEIGHT LOSS when you eat does not matter.

personally, i prefer to sleep on a full stomach and can go to bed right after eating a huge meal. hubby however, can not, hell get bad heart burn/ indigestion. he has to wait at least an hour.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

It sounds like a digestion issue then.

One time in my entire life I tried to eat a snack in the middle of the night just to see what it was like. Well, it was horrible.

Since I've never eaten in the middle of the night, I can only say to just stop it. However, that's probably not sound advice since I haven no experience with getting up in the middle of the night and eating. :)
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This may not be what you are experiencing at all, but my sister told me a couple months ago that she "sleep eats". That scares the hell out of me if it is a real thing.

She lost a great deal of weight quickly a couple years ago and she says that she has gained it all back by sleep-eating. She claims that she wakes up and has eaten everything "easy to eat" in the house. Her solution was to lock snacks in the trunk of her car.

I just kind of assumed that she was either making that up or starving all day and binging at night. Is that what you are talking about? Literally, eating while asleep?