Let's talk bras

Options
I've lost 78 pounds so far. I got measured this weekend at Soma Intimates, and it matched the measurements I've taken at home, so I'm confident in my size.

But, it's a weird size that I can't seem to find in a brick and mortar store. I've always gotten my bras at Lane Bryant, but they don't carry my new band size.

So if you have moderately big boobs, where do you get your bras? I'm a 34G - I need support, comfort, coverage and a bit of oomph. I don't mind spending money on a good bra, either.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I found that target sometimes has some of the "odd" sizes. I have a had a hard time finding my size before I lost weight and I could always find it there. A weaken job on the weight loss btw!
  • bethsmoothmove
    bethsmoothmove Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't know if these stores are available in your country, but I have a similar problem and this is what I've found. I'm generally between a 26J and a 28GG depending on the bra.

Panache do really good sports bras. Their http://www.panache-lingerie.com/GB/products/details/panache-sport/sports-bra/sports-bra/magenta-spot works by encapsulation rather than by crushing your boobs into a horrible monoboob thing. It gives a great shape and fantastic support. The underwire doesn't hurt you AT ALL. Most comfortable bra I've ever owned and tbh wear it pretty much every day. I have it in several colours and sizes. I pole dance, so I need a bra that's going to keep them locked up no matter what bizarre upside-down position I'm in, and this bra is fab for that. You can wear it with regular straps or a racer back.

I also sometimes get bras from Bravissimo. They are good at bigger cup sizes, but I find that they are too broad for me across the front, and chafe on my arms, but this shouldn't be a problem for you as your back size is bigger and thus way more simple to get a bra that fits it!

Debenhams also comes highly recommended; their size range is great and their bigger-boob bras don't really look super ugly, which is a turn up for the books!

I don't recommend Victoria's Secret ("Sure, you're a DD." "But I have quadraboob...") or Marks and Spencer ("Well, you'd NEVER have guessed your boobs are that big from the look of you!") because their fitting services are fairly incompetent and they either don't have bras above a DD or they are ugly as sin :tongue:

Hope some of this is helpful!
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend Victoria's Secret ("Sure, you're a DD." "But I have quadraboob...") or Marks and Spencer ("Well, you'd NEVER have guessed your boobs are that big from the look of you!") because their fitting services are fairly incompetent and they either don't have bras above a DD or they are ugly as sin :tongue:

Just wanted to say, I'm a 36DD/DDD, and I recently moved from Australia to Toronto, and I had NO idea how the bra sizes work here, (I'm a 14E at home) so I went to Victoria's Secret to get fitted because I don't know what stores here do fittings, and the woman was really great, she was in her 40s, and gave me a ton of bras to try on, and really helped me get the right fit, and because they fit right, I'm always comfortable. So don't discount an entire chain because of some incompetent fitters, some of them can actually be good.

OP: Sorry, I can't help you, I bought my one sports bra in Australia, and I just wash it all the time.

• aComputerHero
    aComputerHero Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    These specialty bra stores have an interesting business model. They measure you using techniques that will most likely result in a size that is not available in chain stores. This ensures that to find a well-fitting bra, you have no choice but to pay 40-50 bucks for one from them.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Just wanted to say, I'm a 36DD/DDD, and I recently moved from Australia to Toronto, and I had NO idea how the bra sizes work here, (I'm a 14E at home) so I went to Victoria's Secret to get fitted because I don't know what stores here do fittings, and the woman was really great, she was in her 40s, and gave me a ton of bras to try on, and really helped me get the right fit, and because they fit right, I'm always comfortable. So don't discount an entire chain because of some incompetent fitters, some of them can actually be good.

OP: Sorry, I can't help you, I bought my one sports bra in Australia, and I just wash it all the time.

I've definitely had more bad experiences at Victoria's Secret than good. If you didn't, you got really lucky.

They don't carry my size though, so they're out anyhow.

I'll check out Bravissimo, thanks! I'm looking for a day to day bra, not a sports bra. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    These specialty bra stores have an interesting business model. They measure you using techniques that will most likely result in a size that is not available in chain stores. This ensures that to find a well-fitting bra, you have no choice but to pay 40-50 bucks for one from them.

If that were the case, I wouldn't be on here asking where to buy a bra. I'd already have purchased one at the store that measured me.

But, for the sake of argument - I was measured at two different places, and I measured myself at home. All the measurements came out the same. So.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    34H here and I'm cheap. I buy most of my bras on eBay these days. I look for sellers with easy return policies, though, since bra fitting can be so random.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    34H here and I'm cheap. I buy most of my bras on eBay these days. I look for sellers with easy return policies, though, since bra fitting can be so random.

Oh that's a good idea!
  • CoolCatWV
    CoolCatWV Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This site lets you find bras by size, across multiple brands.

http://www.herroom.com/search.aspx
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    CoolCatWV wrote: »

This is amazing - thank you SO much!
  • ktorgers99
    ktorgers99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I have seen web sites devoted to proper bra fitting and in different-than-expected sizes, too. But alas, their name escapes me and I call upon the goddess Google to help.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    CoolCatWV wrote: »

God. This site is telling me I'm a 32 A. :(
  • jenniferplatter
    jenniferplatter Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nordstrom. Love Chantelle bras. They are about $70. An investment in a good bra that fits correctly is worth it. Ill fitting bras contribute to breast sagging. I have gone from a 38G to 34F (really more of a 35, but bands stretch and hopefully I will continue to shrink). I buy just one at a time until I hit my goal weight.
  • jenniferplatter
    jenniferplatter Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And Chantelle gives them "oomph" while still being appropriate for day. I like having larger breasts and do not want to minimize them.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    And Chantelle gives them "oomph" while still being appropriate for day. I like having larger breasts and do not want to minimize them.

I'll check them out for sure - thanks!
  • SmasherC
    SmasherC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you have Nordstrom or Macy's both of those places have a bunch of sizes (although Macy's is much cheaper). I'm a 38G right now and I can find a bunch of stuff in thst size. I've definitely seen 34G while browsing through the racks.
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had great success ordering online from Freshpair.com. They carry a lot of sizes. I get my sports bras there too. For that I order a Wacoal bra that has underwire (no uniboob!) and hooks in the back like a regular bra. It's about $62 and worth every penny.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Panache, Freya, fantasie all have pretty bras in larger sizes. Usually in john Lewis or debenhams stores. I'm a 34ff I'd never buy online unless I already knew the style fits my shape correctly as there is variation even within same brand.

As others have said, m&s is a non starter!