High reps low weight(calories burned)

Options
I tried to research a little better on how to calculate how many calories are burned from doing high reps and low weight. For example.. This whole month my boyfriend and I are doing 50 reps with 5 sets at a lower weight per exercise. I understand everyone is different because of weight height how hard you are training. We do ours with a 30 sec rest back to back. How do you calculate this?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure of the calories burned, you can probably log it as circuit training under cardio. May I ask what your motivation is for doing a high rep low weight routine?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    50 reps of 5 sets of what?
    how many training sessions?
    is this is homemade program or a structured one?
  • katelynmccloy
    katelynmccloy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the calories burned, you can probably log it as circuit training under cardio. May I ask what your motivation is for doing a high rep low weight routine?

Just to honestly try something different.. Build a little muscles also while toning up.
  • katelynmccloy
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Everything we do for the week. Example leg extension we do 50x5. Every muscle we work on during the week we do this. This is a structured workout we got the workout from a few buddies my boyfriend body builds with.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Everything we do for the week. Example leg extension we do 50x5. Every muscle we work on during the week we do this. This is a structured workout we got the workout from a few buddies my boyfriend body builds with.

That sounds like massive overkill...

So if you do barbell squats you do 5x50??
  • katelynmccloy
    Options
    Lmao I do the barbell plus 25lbs my bf does 2 45lbs.. Ya it kills us both but you feel amazing afterward!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Despite the fact that I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with that plan, I would say just put it in to the cardio section as "strength training" and use the numbers it spits out. That will be as good of a guess as any.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Lmao I do the barbell plus 25lbs my bf does 2 45lbs.. Ya it kills us both but you feel amazing afterward!

So your boyfriend does a total of 250 reps of 225#?!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would estimate 20-25 calories per set on average. However, at that resistance level, you are likely getting more of an endurance/cardio effect than a strength training effect. You are at a level that is likely less than 30% of 1RM and that's probably not enough to progresdively increase strength. Which is fine, just make sure your workouts are aligned with your goals.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would calculate it as "a waste of time". Is that exercise entered in the database, I wonder?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I would calculate it as "a waste of time". Is that exercise entered in the database, I wonder?

cosign
  • ndj1979
    Options

I feel amazing after my power/burn/muscle workout too ..and I don't do anywhere near the amount of volume that you all are…

• ndj1979
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I think she means a total of 2 45's..one on each side..so 135# @ 250 reps…???
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    just reading this hurts my joints
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    The way to track calories with weight training is using a HRM(heart rate monitor).
    You will burn more calories lifting heavier, not lighter. Example, 50 reps x 5 sets. Lets assume 1lbs lifting weight(just for example)

1*50*5 = 250 total weight lifting

Now imagine if you do 100lbs for 5 sets and 5 reps

100 *5*5 = 2500 total weight lifted.

What takes more time, 50 reps or 5 sets, or 5 reps for 5 sets? You're doing more work in a shorter period of time. It's like walking 1 mile or sprinting 1 mile, what burns more?

HRM is not accurate for tracking weight lifting calories.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    The way to track calories with weight training is using a HRM(heart rate monitor).
    You will burn more calories lifting heavier, not lighter. Example, 50 reps x 5 sets. Lets assume 1lbs lifting weight(just for example)

What takes more time, 50 reps or 5 sets, or 5 reps for 5 sets? You're doing more work in a shorter period of time. It's like walking 1 mile or sprinting 1 mile, what burns more?

Cosigned.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Cosigned.

Rubber Stamped

• katelynmccloy
    Options

Yes it's extremely hard
  • katelynmccloy
    Options

Yes it's extremely hard
    As a deadlift he was doing that today
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yes it's extremely hard

I am highly doubting this….